Adult gymnastics survey

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? That would be Olga Korbut. I was an acrobat at the time of the '72 Olympics and she was awesome!
What is your best event? I score highest on vault and floor exercise.
What is your worst event? I tended to mess up on a downhill somersault on bars in competition but not often in practice. :(
What is your favorite event? I love them all but bars are the most fun because I love the feeling of being strong and doing skills with a swinging rhythm.
What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? There are many skills from a book I've written that I want to learn and compete. They are original elements I have created that are not yet in the JO Code Of Points.
What is your best skill that you can do? A Butterfly on beam.
When did you start gymnastics? I began at age 12.
What do you like best about gymnastics? I love the discipline it requires to become good and the creative possibilities in the sport.
How many adult gymnasts would be interested in competing in the Senior Olympics? You must be 50 years old. I will be turning 50 next year and though my goal is to compete again at Level 8 in the USA Gymnastics Junior Olympic Program, like when I was 36, I would like to gather enough interest to petition the Senior Olympics to add gymnastics as a sport. They told me there wasn't enough interest in gymnastics to put the money into having it added. Well folks, let's get some interest and have it added? Let me know what you think! :)

That is so cool that your over 50 and still doing gymnastics. It sounds like your still a lot better than I am. Everyone thinks I'm too old for gymnastics at 28. I wish gymnastics could be recognized as a sport for women and not just for girls (my husband is always making fun of me for loving it so much). I think its definitely starting to get that way but I think we still have a long way to go. I don't know anyone around my area thats over 20 that's still doing gymnastics. I didn't even start until I was 14 so I'm not burnt out like some get who have been doing it all their life. Oh, by the way what is a butterfly on beam. I have to say, I never heard of that skill before.

Also I'd love to answer the survey questions but don't know how to get them to copy into my reply (I'm new to forums :)). If anyone can give me instructions on that I'd appreciate it.

You're not too old at age 28 to do gymnastics! Everyone thought I was too old when I came out of retirement from the sport at age 22 and was married with a 2 year old son! I trained myself for years until a coach took me seriously. I learned a Giant at age 33 and became Vermont State Champion on Balance Beam, Floor Exercise & Vault with a bronze on Uneven Bars and Silver All-Around (missing Gold by .05) All this at age 34. I qualified for States the next two years but had to scratch because of the flu one year and scratch because I injured my back by landing on the bar before States the next. I competed at Level 8 in the USA Gymnastics Junior Olympic Program in the Age 16 yrs and Up Division. You are NOT too old at age 28! If you love gymnastics, believe in yourself and do it. I was made fun of a lot, which hurt, but I never quit. I love gymnastics too much and if I was good at it and kept improving with hard work, why in the world should I quit? Go for your dreams!!!

To enter the survey questions, just write down the questions, then come to this survey, type in the questions yourself and answer them. You can make the questions lettering thick by clicking on the black B in the upper left corner of this post box. Click it again to undo the black B when you type your answers. I look forward to reading your answers. I hope I have encouraged you!

And....a Butterfly is a move skaters usually do, but so do gymnasts. It looks like an aerial cartwheel done horizontally. It's in the Code Of Points. :)

Feel free to add anything if needed, I am quite bad at creating surveys:p

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics?

My elementary school gym teacher said I was pretty good at gymnastics when we did it in gym class, and that I should find a club to try it out. I was 9, almost 10 at the time.

What is your best event?

Bars and vault. I love bars and have good upper body strength; and I have a lot of power for vault.

What is your worst event?

Beam and floor about equally. Dance elements are not my strong point and I have really wide shoulders but small hips, so find it hard to stay over the beam. I have had so many sprained ankles that I have practiced less on floor, and twisting is a struggle for me.

What is your favorite event?

Bars all the way. I love to swing!

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish?

There are so many...back full on floor, double back flyaway, consistent cash 1/2 pirouette, consistent bhs on beam, tsuk without a spot on vault.

What is your best skill that you can do?

Giants, front layout on floor, handspring full vault.

My Dad! He was a P.Ed. teacher & always helped me to handstands, rolls, etc..until I was old enough to go to a club... he brought me to a class & I fell in love with the sport!

What is your best event?
Floor & Bars

Beam ! I get really shakey with the fear of falling off

Floor & Bars

There are so many! But for now, near future goals include r.o. backhandspring back tuck, eventually into layout full (dreaming??) r.o. multiple backhandsprings, aerial front walkover(dreaming again??) kip on bars.

On floor, roundoff back tuck I guess, aerial carthwheel. Off mini tramp, layout half twist. Beam, barani & front tuck dismounts, front roll cartwheel. On bars; flyaway.

Senior Olympics?? WOw, didn't know that existed ?! Well, then that is my next goal, to be good enough by then to compete in that competition! Until then, I will train with that goal in mind, so as to continue improving with a solid goal in mind!
Until then, hopefully they'll have more masters' competitions, maybe age categories of 25+, then 30-35, 36-40, and so on..!

Thought I would share the answers with all of you...

I don't think anyone really inspired me. My parents signed my older sister and I up for a class when we were younger. My sister didn't like it and quit, but I enjoyed it and stuck to it.

What is your best event?

Bars has always been my best event

Probably Vault. It's just not as fun as the other events for me. It goes by so quick and you are done

Bars and Beam

I would like to get the majority of skills that I had when I stopped gymnastics back. It's going to take a while and only being able to go once a week for 1.5 hours, I don't know if it will happen. We will see

I'm back to doing giants on the pit bar, handspring vaults, and double fulls off the tumble trak.

the first time i ever saw gymnastics was the 2000 olypmics..but there was not a gym in my town so that was it for two years when a gym finally opened in my town. i had kind of forgotten about gymnastics until my friend went to a class and told me about it. i have always been very competitive and so was she. she was like come to my class with me and see if you can even do what i can. so i went to the class and i loved it..and she ended up quitting about a month later cause i was "better" than here

What is your best event?
beam

bars...until i started training level 9

vault

i dont really do gym much anymore but i really want to
do a double on floor again

umm idk either split full on beam and double layout of bars

I was always flipping off of my bed & out in the yard so my parents let me try it when I was younger & I loved it.

What is your best event?
I absolutely love bars!!!

I don't really do that well at beam.

BARS!!

I would like to get my full back on floor & my tuck back on beam.

Wow...not much anymore (I have a really bad back now). I can still do double backs but I'll only do them into a pit. I can still do quite a bit on bars though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back