Adult gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I posted this in the coaches section, but it might fit here too...

Hello-

I'm looking for gyms that offer adult gymnastics classes in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I'm 25 and haven't formally done gymnastics in a little over 10 years. (I did coach rec for a few years in college). When I quit I was working level 6 skills. I would love to get back in the gym just to have some fun and work on new stuff. I'm forever in a handstand or split, but I refuse to do much more than a walkover since it's been so long.

Any ideas where to start?

my best advice would be to google local gyms and call, I know some down here in Orlando, don't have adult classes for insurance reasons, You can also look into acro dance classes which is similar to like your basic gymnastics floor skills, walkover, handsprings, cartwheels and such, I teach an acro class, my studio doesn't have an acro class for adults, mostly because many "adults" can't or aren't interested in that style because of the strain it puts on the body.

But google gyms and call them and ask if they offer adult classes, I too would love to go back into the gym for just fun, really I would like to get back onto the beam and work some old skills.

a side possiblity is diving too, if you like the flipping aspect of gymnastics, you might like diving as well. But thats just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

I actually used to live in Pittsburgh, PA. I would suggest going to the USAG website and looking up the local gyms. Then, go from there by either looking at the websites or calling them. I'm pretty sure that one or two of them in the area might offer adult gymnastics, but most gyms have trouble getting insurance that allows people over 21 to participate in activities.

Also, a lot of the gyms in the area are probably looking for recreational coaches, and I know that my old gym would let you work out and what not if you coached--you were under a different form of insurance than the students.

I know this is an old thread but I'd thought I throw it out there... Gymsport claims they have an adult gymnastics class, however, I wouldn't recommend it. The staff is rude and incredibly unorganized and, most importantly, it's not actually an adult class- they just throw you in a group with some of their advanced pre-teen/teen gymnasts.
I take privates at Premier Gym & Cheer in Baldwin and they're great. If they get enough people interested to warrant an adult class I'm sure they would have one so, I'd suggest calling them and letting them know you're interested.

Gymsport Adult Classes

Gymsport Program Director here.

Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad experience, Julie. I am not sure who you spoke to, but I sincerely apologize that someone was rude to you. We've had our ups and downs with the adult class. It's hard to get adults to commit to attending for a full month, and because we did not have enough people to hold a class we couldn't keep one going.

However, we now have an adult only class on Tuesday nights from 8:00-9:00. It's a pay-as-you-go class, $15 per session. I would be more than happy to let you try out this class for free - just send me an email at coachmisslauren[AT]gmail.com.

We also have Open Gym on Wednesday nights from 8:00-10:00 and Friday nights from 5:00-8:00. The cost is $5 per hour. You do not need to be a member to come to Open Gym, but you must sign a waiver.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments!
Lauren Bradford
Program Director
Gymsport Athletic Center
412-220-1195
www.gymsportathleticcenter.com

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back