Coaches Advanced Preschool Class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

peace.love.gymnast

Hello coaches...
In the fall, our gym will be offering an advanced preschool class. I have my own ideas as to what types of skills to have the kids focus on, but I would love to get other coaches opinions as well. There are several kids that show great strength & potential with pretty big skills for their age already, and the others just need a positive challenge in a fun environment. Thanks for all suggestions...

Cartwheel BOTH ways, handstand, fwd/bwd roll, variations on the theme.

More time on bars. Pullover, casts first. Cast BHC. Strength.

Basically do the level 1/2 stuff, minus anything bridging or on inappropriate equipment due to size. As a general rule I would design the class as a way to transition into the second or even third "level" of school classes. That is, if they don't go right to preteam, or choose not to, this class should essentially be their first "real" class.

In my own experience, I do teach such classes. I have about 3 or less preschool kids a session (which is probably 10% of the total I'll teach in this particular kind of class) who are able to "master" all of that and actual "skip" the first level. But that should be the goal.

I still go by the rules that I never bridge a child until after 5 years old. I begin to teach body shape/techniques. I also start to include basic TOPS strength stations.

Now that I have more time, I'll give some more detailed examples:

More work on beam. Teaching arm shapes such as how the arms move for a jump (I have them all do it the same time - arms by your legs, jump and arms up, land with arms and crown and move them side - this is to teach the "sideward downward" that is used in the compulsory routines), rolls on beam (use a pad or fat beam, but they usually can do it. Make sure to start in a pike stand so they can tuck their head under enough), donkey kick on beam if ready, but hold off on handstand generally because they won't kick the back leg high enough. Can start doing little handstand dismount. I initially teach the kids to put their hands in front of them facing sideways and jump their body down sideways so they finish facing the beam straight. Then we work on going in from one leg and kicking higher. I've had a lot of success with this versus spotting where the kids tend to bend their legs or arch to try and accomodate you pulling them all the way up. This way they do it incrementally and feel how their muscles move them sideways and stop in the middle. Also other normal beam stuff, kicks, coupe/posse, etc

Bars, pretty basic, get those pullovers and cast BHC in. I rarely would teach anything else at this stage, because it is so important to do proper casts and circles. If they exhaust that, I would begin some front hip circles and glide swings. Arm and ab strength. "Fun" swings, teaching them how to regrip their hands, is also a good one to work in. Have them do things like straddle L hang, open and close legs, to build that strength for glides. Work on lifting toes to bar, also being able to straighten legs with toes tucked under in pike and straddle hang. Inverted hollow hold/hang. On floor bar, try pike stand holding the bar (can start in squat and then lift bottom as high as possible). Put down a block or mushroom and have them do straddle press, then press bottom up and "rock" (swinging bottom higher).

Floor: perfectt cartwheels both ways. When they can do backward and forward roll, use a wedge and teach the hands for straight arm back rolls (hands turned in). Have them sit in a pike on the wedge and start with proper hands, and then do straight arm pike rolls. If they are 5 and can do proper bridges, elevate their feet and do kickovers. Use a barrel to do "back handspring" with support - this is okay. Have them start laying over it to teach tight arms, explain how to "block" shoulders to the ears and tell to do this before their hands touch, make sure they hit and open handstand before bringing their feet over, and try to have them land in a pushup to maintain a hollow rather than pike in this "slow" version. They can do jump backs on a low enough resi, or put a block in front of it to bring them up - teach them how to swing their arms. Teach power hurdles if possible.

Vault, begin teaching proper arm circle and hurdle using appropriate equipment and I generally stick with jumps into the pit, also handstand flat back (just kick into handstand, no vaulting or anything). Practice "blocking" shoulders more standing up and also to push off the walls with straight arms and hands not turned out. Punching jumps (explain how to use your toes and not bend your legs very much).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back