Advancing gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
I was just wondering how other coaches, owners, etc., deal with the question "When will my child move up?" when the child is not ready to move up in classes or is not talented enough to compete. Anyone who is in the gym more than once a week knows that some kids are just not made for the sport. But, they or a parent thinks they are amazing. :eek:

I work in our gym's office, and I have been asked this question a lot. I am not allowed to make any judgements about that, but I do have to field the questions and be tactful. Sometimes, its like doing gymnastics with my words, LOL, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I'd love to hear some real stories of creative ways others have circumnavigated that stormy sea.

I don't have any real words for you, but I'd be curious to find out how it is tackled as well. Do coaches actually 'respect' that question with an answer? I for one could never bring myself to ask it of a coach or anyone else.

Ours is easy as the coaches eval. the kids every 8 weeks at the beginning levels. So we just do the evals and the coaches say "Suzie is doing great on beam but needs to get her pullover on bars to move up." We also send out letters to the parents when their kid is selected to move up rather than telling them at the gym to cut down on bad reactions.

I don't have any real words for you, but I'd be curious to find out how it is tackled as well. Do coaches actually 'respect' that question with an answer? I for one could never bring myself to ask it of a coach or anyone else.

I have fielded this question every day for the last week. Thankfully, I can usually refer them to their child's coach.

The girl in the office will always say you have to discuss that with your coach only they know where your child's skills are at. the coaches answer is always when they have the skills necessary for the next level they will move up. When parent ask when will that be they usually get the answer as soon as your daughter/son decides to put the work in getting the skill they will get it and move up- some kids get it early some get it later.

"When she's ready".

If they're not good with that, then I explain that they need to show the skills consistently & with enough control to work on the next thing.

And sometimes they are moved up and the parent wonders why......and then we just think, they must know something we don't....and after a long fought season, we still wonder why....lol

We have a pretty straightforward skills testing. If a parent asks me a question, I show them their child's sheet and explain what skill they are missing. If a child is close enough I would pass them in a lot of cases (depends on their overall skill level, how close, what the skill is, etc) so generally the child is REALLY missing the skill. If they don't understand I am happy to show them by supporting their child in attempting the skill so they can see what the issue. I haven't had any problems beyond that. But, we don't really have much going on in terms of advancement through the class levels. Either they have the skills or not. The program is too big to accomodate moving kids up who aren't really ready.

I usually say it will take as long as it would take your child to learn 4 seperate sports and be good at them. I think some people forget that learning gymnastics is not like playing other sports where you just learn the basic rules of the game and how to shoot a basket or kick a ball. There are 4 different events, and even more for the boys, so of course it is going to take longer.

I just recently got "why isn't she advancing as fast in gymnastics (1 hour a week rec class) as she does in ice skating (competitive team)? My answer was when she starts putting the same amount of time into gymnastics and I suggested a second class a week but of course this wasn't in their schedule. Go figure!

At our daughter’s current gym if kids have all of their L5 skills they can join team and compete. If they aren’t there they can stay in developmental classes and work on those skills. For the most part they also have to have the skills for the level they want to move up to in order to move. I think that gets more subjective and less clear once they get out of the compulsory levels because what technically meets the requirements for L7 and L8 and what the coaches really like to see at those levels can sometimes be different. So sometimes there does seem to be some move to L7 or not confusion. I think our HC really tries to do what is right for the individual gymnast but I think he isn’t always the greatest with communication so I think sometimes there is confusion and then frustration and then it just snowballs.

For the kids that just don't have the ability to move onto competitive gymnastics but still love it, one option is not to move them up but move them sideways, which makes them feel like they are moving up. Form a class for the less coordinated kids who have been doing gymnastics for a while and focus on teaching different types of skills. Like learning harder skills on the mini tramp or trampoline.

This is what I would say: "I don't know. I'm not her coach."
Remind me not to go into a career involving people skills.

Really, though, since the decision is not up to you, the parents should be asking the coach. Actually, they shouldn't be asking anyone...hm, well...I guess at my gym sometimes parents (and older gymnasts) on the team want to ask, "Which practice group/level will my daughter be in next session?" since it affects training times and $$$. There's not always a lot of communication with parents, especially if the girl is older. Sometimes we want to know if we're "on track" for the next level, or if the coaches are planning to put us in a different group!

I get this question all the time, along with "she's bored because she's not being challenged enough." Fortunately, we also do skill tests every few weeks so parents can see on paper what their child is missing and what they need to learn in order to advance. Unfortunately, those skill tests don't measure attitude, work ethic, and ability to make corrections which are also important in progressing in gymnastics. Sometimes I just want to tell a parent that Suzie isn't advancing because she is unable to pay attention in class for more than 30 seconds and exerts as little effort as possible when she manages to take her turn. But that probably wouldn't go over too well, so I just stick with the skills on the paper.
In between tests we also get this question, often from the children who misbehave and don't make the most of their time in the gym. In those cases I tell them that there will be a skills test in x number of weeks but that I will happily keep an eye on her in the meantime and if she demonstrates the ability, I will certainly move her up before then. Most times I am well aware of the child's ability, but it appeases the parents for the time being and buys me some time.

I ask in general terms..... I ask things like "when will girls be moving up" rather than "when will Isabella be ready to move". I am pretty confident that she will move up to L3 team since she has all of her skills already.

I ask because I'm trying to coordinate schedules and make a budget. I've already started saving for team expenses but I am, by nature, a planner. I would not ever use the question to "criticize" a coach or to push my child to a level where she wouldn't compete well. I just like to know in advance because of my personality. I don't do spontaneous and I hate short notice. Very stressful when you are a methodical and analytical person.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back