Parents Advice about changing gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DbacksMom75

Proud Parent
My DD was recently moved to the TOPS program at our gym and really likes it so far. Since I had never heard of TOPS I looked it up on the USAG website. They have a list of the past teams and DD's gym has only had one girl make the National Team at it was 4 years ago. Another gym close by has had girls on every year.
Is it a good idea to move her to another gym with a more competitive program? Her current coaches says she has a huge love of gymnastics and I don't want to see that trained out of her:( But all she talks about is going to TOPS camp (even though she's only 6) and I just want her to have the best chance at what she wants.
The other gym costs the same as we pay now but is an extra hour (4 compared to 3) of practice per week. It is a longer drive so more in gas. DH wants her to stay at current gym until she competes level 4 and then reevaluate where she is. If it was up to him we would move back to Dallas and take her to WOGA.
I just want her to be happy.

Liz

Mom to DD :cutie: (6) Beam crazy gymmie

Being that she is only 6 and that girls that make the TOPS teams that go to camp are in the 9-11 age group, I would keep her at her current gym if she is happy and progressing. Things change and who knows what she will want in 3 years. With gas prices as high as they are, I would probably keep her at the closer gym if they are a good gym and she is happy there.

Is she competing level 4 this year? If so, we might see you guys at some meets if our gyms run in the same circles, LOL. My DD will be competing starting in January.

I agree--keep her at the current gym. She is only 6 and not at level 4 yet. Why fix what is not broken? You can always re-evaluate her later--she has plenty of time and there is no rush. Also, sometimes changing gyms at a young age can be devestational to a young girl so you also have to keep that it mind.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Bottom line is that she should be happy wherever she goes.

I too would keep her where she is. If she is learning things and having fun - that is what matters at this point.

I would also keep her were she is at,changing gyms again could cause more harm then good.She has plenty of time before she can go to camp.I would not send my dd to a real strict gym at a young age due to burn out .If she is having fun and progressing stay with what you got.My 2 cents.Good luck with your decision.

Have to agree with everyone else. If your dd is happy and progressing then leave well enough alone for now. Lots and lots of girls test TOPs and are quite good, but never make it out of the state. Its highly competitive and not the be all and end of of gymnastics. She could be in the TOPs program until she ages out and never make it to the national testing. Doesn't mean she's a poor gymnast at all. The 1st priority is having fun and liking the sport---the rest will come in time.

I agree with everyone who's saying leave well enough alone for now. Also, if you do consider switching later, look into the other gym carefully. The fact that it's doing well at TOPs isn't the be all and end all. Some gyms overemphasize the program doing crazy amounts of conditioning at the expense of other things. I would make sure the girls are sticking around and succeeding beyond TOPs.

I agree with everyone else here. She's young and happy, I'd definitely prefer to keep it taht way. I can't add anymore than what everyone else has added re: TOPS. Also, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the balance beam, but it not always so!

-Lynn

Not sure if this was mentioned or not because I didn't read thru all the responses but I probably would not switch gyms based on just the TOPS program & results. Some gyms just incorperate TOPS training into their regular practices, others have a TOPS team that spend several months doing some add'l practices and then go test. Other gyms have a all-year round TOPS team where that is the be all end all, LOL and looks good on paper for parents that are gym shopping. If your DD is happy where she is at, I would stay put for now at least until you move thru all the compulsary levels first and then shop around for a gym that has a good Level 7-10 team. You want to make sure this is something she really wants to do. There is plenty of time since she is only 6. My DD is on her second year of team and 10.5 hrs (more hrs during the Summer) all year round does take it's toll on little ones at times. We are already hearing about some team friends talking about doing other activities such as dance or sports after the season ends.

I would not switch gyms just because the gym doesnt regularly put kids on TOPs national team. There are over 3000 kids that test TOPs at a state level...they take 300 to the National test, and about 70 on National team! Its so difficult just b/c of the #'s, but unless your athlete is home schooled and trains 25 hours a week, it very difficult to make TOPs National team! (Not that it cant ahppen, its just getting tougher and tougher.)

I have known athletes who have qualfied to National team both Diamond years, and all 3 years as a 9-11 yo. Some have quit after, some gone to elite, some made it to L10.... lots of diffenent scenarios. In a nutshell, making TOPs doesn not guarantee elite success, or nay success for that matter!

If you are happy with your current program, I would not switch just because of not placing kids National team. If they can do it once, they can do it again.

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you to everyone that posted replies. We are defineatly going to keep DD at her current gym. I don't want her to burn out and end up hating it.
I think I'll go back to buying leos :D

Liz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back