Advice and input needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! New poster, long time reader, coming out due to some upheaval at DD's gym.
After learning a lot of great lessons from this awesome board, I have finally decided to seek some advice from the CB.

DD, optional gymnast, has been at her gym for years, it's the only one she has ever attended.
There are 15-20 optionals, they all work out at the same time and are split into 2 groups.

They have 2 coaches, HC and coach #2, each coaching 2 events. Coach #2 has decided to leave to another program starting in August.

HC has had a couple new coaches in to try over the last few months, but nothing has stuck. So HC has decided to split the girls into an early time and a late time and be the only coach.

This makes me uneasy for so many different reasons.

So, my questions to all the wise minds of the CB are...
how many coaches are there for your optional levels?
Do you think there is an ideal # and if yes how many?
Do you think just One coach could work or does it sound like a bad idea?

Please share any and all thoughts you may have!

Thank you!

This may be the solultion for now until they can find someone they think is good and will be the best fit. You don't want them hiring someone just to fill a gap then in a month have to fire them or replace them. Our Optional team currently has one coach because #2 coach left and its working out very well. That doesn't mean the gym isn't looking for another coach. I knonw I don't want them to rush into anything so who ever they pick will stay awhile.

You said there are about 15 - 20 girls so that means now 2 groups of 7 - 10 girls I think that should be fine. I am guessing when there were 2 coaches there they split the group so half worked with one coach and half worked with the other so really its going to be the same ratio but instead of 2 coaches at one time its going to be 1 coach at 2 times. I would give it a chance especially if everyone likes the gym and have been happy so far.

unless you want them to hire someone with just a pulse, you'll have to support them for a couple of months until they can vet a coach. a good one takes some time.:) this HC knows his/her limitations and decided to split them. great idea. high 5 to the HC. when you get lemons...

Thank you, Gymbee and Dunno!
I totally agree with you about finding a good coach and not just a "pulse", but HC (who is also the owner) has decided to be the sole coach for at least the next year, so one coach it will be.

If my DD were a young compulsory or even young optional gymnast, I would have no problem waiting to see how this plays out.
Unfortunately, She is about to start high school and college gymnastics is her goal. (sorry I left some of the details out;))

If she waits a few months, it will be too late for the upcoming season to make any gym changes.
DD loves coach#2, but HC... Not so much. DD is easy going and does what's asked, but when HC gets stressed, HC is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and DD hates that.

What do you think of the one coach for the optional team on a permanent basis?

Your DD's needs give your answer, given the situation you've presented.
If college is her goal, can HC get her there? (Does your coach know the goal she has is college?)
Is she already a level 10?

I would be surprised if it stayed permanent. He might be telling you this right now because he doesn't see any prospects in the near future to replace the coach that left. If someone comes along I'm sure he would take them. A few months too isn't a deal breaker you can switch any time even mid season if needed and not have a gymnastic goal destroyed. What level is she at? Is there something else going on that you don't think this HC can help your DD achieve the goals she wants??

Your HC seems to know his limitations and has made adjustments to make sure everyone is still getting the best attention. I think if you have other concerns you might want a meeting with HC to ease your concerns or to make a decision to leave.

Has your DD voiced any concerns about not advancing? She should be part of this decision as she may not want to leave and forcing her to do so may also delay things.

The main reason I would be wary about this situation is because if anything happens to the HC, there is no one to step in. Obviously, you don't "want" to think the worst but sometimes you have to to plan the future. It would be fine for a month or 2 but if HC expects this to last a year or more, I would be worried. Add to this, you say that the dd / HC relationship isn't exactly the best one, I think you have reason to question a possible move.

i need more info to answer your subsequent question. how long has the gym been there? have they produced 10's? any of their gymnasts compete college? etc;

I would be a little concerned about safety. Is he really going to be the only adult present during every practice? What if something happens? I also don't like when my kids are with just 1 adult, although there will be other kids there, but still. I guess my mind always goes to the worst thing that could happen. If there are other classes and coaches in the gym at the same time I would feel better.

Has your DD voiced any concerns about not advancing? She should be part of this decision as she may not want to leave and forcing her to do so may also delay things.

She didn't have any concerns about not advancing, just about the coaching changes and what having only ome coach would be like. I was kind of secretly worried, but when she started talking about it, it became a real issue. One of the best things I've learned on here is that my role is to support her endeavors, make sure she's happy and ensure her safety.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Your DD's needs give your answer, given the situation you've presented.
If college is her goal, can HC get her there? (Does your coach know the goal she has is college?)
Is she already a level 10?

They do, don't they?:rolleyes: Hearing someone else say it makes me more certain! IDK if coach can get her there. She just competed a pretty successful level 9 season.

The main reason I would be wary about this situation is because if anything happens to the HC, there is no one to step in. Obviously, you don't "want" to think the worst but sometimes you have to to plan the future. It would be fine for a month or 2 but if HC expects this to last a year or more, I would be worried. Add to this, you say that the dd / HC relationship isn't exactly the best one, I think you have reason to question a possible move.

This is a major factor! What if HC gets the flu, pneumonia :)eek:) etc. before a big meet? One of the cumpolsory coaches would have to step in, and none of them have ever coached above level 6.

i need more info to answer your subsequent question. how long has the gym been there? have they produced 10's? any of their gymnasts compete college? etc;

Gosh, Dunno, your questions make me cringe :) must be because somewhere in your words, I know lies my answer. You are like Yoda, so wise;)

20 ish years, but the HC for 6 or 7 and as this is the only place Hc has coached, and there have been no level 10s, 9 is the highest HC has coached. Not that I know anything about gymnastics or the differece between coaching level 9 and 10, just giving you more info.

No college girls. Most of the upper level girls have quit or moved to greener pastures.
I feel like DD and her teammates are going to be the guinea pigs, having the 2 coaches made it not seem so impossible.

unfortunately, it may be time for you to research greener pastures also. when a gym has no older girls the younger ones have no mentoring and no one to mirror. sorry.

I would be wary of having your DD as a level 10 as a first timer for the coach. Going into HS it may be a good time to make the transition to a more established gym that can get her into a college program if that is even a possible goal. The next two years will be important building blocks for college success.

I am an optional gymnast and our gym has a reasonable amount of optionals combined with our Excels.We have two coaches who coach two events each, and both coach the optionals and the Excels. I know a lot gyms have a coach for each event and/or a head coach who coaches one ofthe events or over sees everything. I think one coach will be okay if there are two practice times, as long as the coach is qualified to coach all of ther events at the level your gymnast is at.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back