WAG Advice for gymnastics and school

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are multiple threads on this already, but I wanted to put the question out here.

I'm having trouble with grades (around a C) in my math class. It is an advanced class for my grade level and the only class I am struggling with. My parents have told me if my grades don't pick up, I will have to skip 1 night a week of gym. I need some advice on how I can understand the topics and pass the 2nd final.

I could do a better job studying at home (which I am going to start doing more of) but I feel like often when I get home, I am just staring at a page of numbers I don't understand. I feel worn out from school and want some rest before gymnastics. I keep getting distracted and I get very little done.

I go in at lunch sometimes to re-take tests or ask the teacher questions, but I'm still not making as much progress I want to. Does anyone have any tips for studying? I train 5:30-9 three days a week and 4-7 on Friday, plus meets.

A night off gym a week sounds sensible... you probably don't want to hear that though!
My girls do some studying on the way to gym, don't know if that's an option for you.
I don't know what Maths grade you're taking but maybe you could go for a lower option? I don't know what options are open to you.

A night off gym a week sounds sensible... you probably don't want to hear that though!
My girls do some studying on the way to gym, don't know if that's an option for you.
I don't know what Maths grade you're taking but maybe you could go for a lower option? I don't know what options are open to you.
Not an option to drop the class... and parents don't want me to repeat it next year... they think that means I am sacrificing school for gymnastics.

I don't really want to repeat the class next year, either, though. But if I do, I want to know I tried my hardest.

This is really a question for your teachers and your parents as they will know what is available to you in your area. It sounds like you need more help in the course regardless of gymnastics. A tutor, extra sessions with the teacher and yes more study time at home

My daughter found that normal the ebb & flow of high school often required a modification to her gymnastics schedule. She could whip out subjects like Spanish at 11pm but others not so much. Or she had group projects and finding a meeting time that worked for all busy teens was difficult. Math in particular was hard because of the daily homework and her effectiveness at solving problems at 11pm was not as efficient as doing them at 8pm.

She would miss pratice when needed. Sometimes this meant one night here and there, sometimes she missed 2 or 3 days during a single week. For math in particular, she had a few different strategies. She would go 30-45 minutes late to practice, leave 30-45 minutes early or take a long break during practice and do homework at the gym.

My advice to you is to advocate for yourself. You'll find that the adults in your life (parents, teachers and coaches) truly want you to be successful and may offer modifications but you have to honest with your needs and show that you are working as hard as you can. Take advantage of meeting with your math teacher during lunch or before/after school. Work with a tutor or take advantage of tutoring services your school offers (even if it takes away from gym time!). Talk with your coaches about your math situation and see if they will work with you on a modified training plan until you are on top of math again. (For example, sometimes they would let my DD train with another group to get time on certain events.)

Gymnastics is so time consuming and it's often a dance finding a balance between gym, school and just getting enough sleep or time to yourself. There's no shame in needing to make adjustments to practice.

Maybe another option you haven't considered is leaving slightly early every night instead of completely skipping a practice.

For me what helps is I have set-in-stone daily study times. At home, I put on a bright classical music album, turn on my green leds (green for focus) and diffuser, drink my matcha tea, and get to work, always at the same time of day, with 5 minute breaks every 25 minutes. I could get done extra, or not enough, but it is always for an hour. When I keep it consistent and have an interesting workplace I find myself more productive and focused.

Yes, its exhausting. I absolutely never want to study, because those are my few minutes to myself. However, I chose this path and I have to sacrifice some things to be successful.

Good luck, I know how difficult it is to balance the two, I hope you find something that works for you!

If you are doing well in other subjects, but not this one then more study and hard work is probably not the answer.

You have probably heard the phrase “work smarter not harder”. Doing more of the same thing that is not working, will also not work.

There are a lot of great suggestions on here already to try something different. So I won’t reiterate. But look at trying something different rather than just studying more.

For me what helps is I have set-in-stone daily study times. At home, I put on a bright classical music album, turn on my green leds (green for focus) and diffuser, drink my matcha tea, and get to work, always at the same time of day, with 5 minute breaks every 25 minutes. I could get done extra, or not enough, but it is always for an hour. When I keep it consistent and have an interesting workplace I find myself more productive and focused.

This is a very good and important suggestion. Fixed time frames for activities are extremely beneficial. It enables your brain to fully concentrate on what you are doing. Quality time almost always beats quantity.

Speaking as a studied maths teacher, also: If you don't get your studies done in that hour the problem is most likely a lack of general understanding, which will not be fixed by staring on numbers for another hour.
I would bet the issue doesn't lie with your current topics but most likely with much more basic mathematical transactions. Which is a good thing because if you could find someone who's willing to take a few steps back with you your maths problem might as well be fixed in a month or two.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back