Parents Advice for Pre-Team and Compulsory Parents from Optional Parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
My gymnast is now training for level 8. The past few months, I’ve had a few parents of compulsory and preteam gymnasts asking for advice. I thought this would be a great place for parents of optional level gymnasts to share some valuable wisdom that we have learned over the years. So optional parents, please share one of the most important pieces of advice that you have learned or were given from someone else.

Mine is this: enjoy every moment of these younger years. I know it’s easy to get caught up in thinking ahead and wondering when the bigger skills will start coming and you just can’t wait to no longer have to hear the same music over and over and over. It will pass, and much too quickly. Every year I look at the new little level 3s and wish I could turn back time for just a little while to enjoy a little more of what I wished away. I miss my gymmie being that little.

Well my advice probably won't be popular, but I would tell all those just entering the sport.. that gymnastics is just a sport. It shouldn't be your child's life (or your life for that matter!). No matter how much you think they would live at the gym if they could and that you are just doing everything possible to fulfill their dreams.. it's still a sport. It should be fun and challenging and they might do well in it and go far, or they might quit tomorrow. Encourage them, support them and enjoy the journey, but let it be about them and let them have fun with it and don't pressure them. And as exciting it is to be able to brag that your x year old is doing these amazing skills and training a gazillion hours a week, think about how few of those pushed so hard and pressured so much as a very young child stay in the sport for the long haul. So really what is the point or the goal?

Don't get caught up in who gets what skill when and what scores everyone is getting and who moves to level 4 first etc. Comparison is the thief of joy. All the Parents that were super into it and frustrated with what kid got what skills...their kids arent in the sport anymore. Most of the kids that were top of the podium level 3/4 they arent in the sport anymore. You never know if your kid is the one thats gonna stick it out....my kid has almost quit every year lol but she quietly just plods along and improves.

Even if your kid loves gym and spends all her time at home doing handstands and cartwheels dont be so ready for those higher hours. Its harder than it looks, and once you go up in hours you probably arent ever going back down so let them enjoy being a kid while they have the time.

Make friends outside of gym. We are at a point now where most of my kids friends are at gym which is fine they are great kids but I wish she had more of a friend safety net if she quit.

On the flip side stay friends with the ones that quit. Both my kid and I have made some great friendships that lasted after the gymnast left the sport.

This is nice to read. My daughter’s gym has many many parents who are competing in the level 2/3/4 Olympics vicariously through their kids and it’s really creating a terrible vibe in the gym (both among the parents and the increasingly nasty kids).

Well my advice probably won't be popular, but I would tell all those just entering the sport.. that gymnastics is just a sport. It shouldn't be your child's life (or your life for that matter!). No matter how much you think they would live at the gym if they could and that you are just doing everything possible to fulfill their dreams.. it's still a sport. It should be fun and challenging and they might do well in it and go far, or they might quit tomorrow. Encourage them, support them and enjoy the journey, but let it be about them and let them have fun with it and don't pressure them. And as exciting it is to be able to brag that your x year old is doing these amazing skills and training a gazillion hours a week, think about how few of those pushed so hard and pressured so much as a very young child stay in the sport for the long haul. So really what is the point or the goal?
This is true! I was very into gymnastics and her progress in L2 and L3.... now at L6, I'm the one encouraging her to try different sports. She doesn't want to do anything but gym right now but it's been healthy for me to slowly become less involved and more ok with anything she chooses. I try and keep a ton of balance in her life so that when she quits (not if), it'll be an easier transition.

Take vacations! every year...make memories OUTSIDE of gymnastics or you will look back and realize every trip was centered on this sport! DO NOT turn a blind eye to verbal abuse by coaches or teammates in the gym. If your child starts acting different, dig deeper and find out why. Don't stay and watch practice, develop your own interests and hobbies or when your child goes off to college you may be a bit lost.

This is true! I was very into gymnastics and her progress in L2 and L3.... now at L6, I'm the one encouraging her to try different sports. She doesn't want to do anything but gym right now but it's been healthy for me to slowly become less involved and more ok with anything she chooses. I try and keep a ton of balance in her life so that when she quits (not if), it'll be an easier transition.
I love your comment on this. My dd is at L3/L4 right now, and I've started to back away and become less involved lately. I've never been one to pressure or push, but I'm realizing that it's probably better to support from afar as she needs me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back