Parents Advice needed - explore other gyms or stick with this one?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am guessing that volunteers should not be spotting, for insurance purposes, though.
I would think a trained volunteer would fall under the same insurance policy as hired employees. Unless I missed it, the OP was not specific as to what skills are being spotted and how much supervision she is getting so it is hard to know if she is over her head or not.

No insurance agent in the US is going to smile on a thirteen year old spotting anything.
but they will a 14 or a 15 yr old? Look, I dont know the rules. Perhaps an agent or coach can answer.But given that teens are routinely working as support coaches in gym, rec or otherwise, it obviously is part of some insurance policies. It is no different than 14 yr olds teaching swim lessons, which is inherently more dangerous than lower level gymnastics.It is up to the HC to ensure every coach is properly trained and supervised. None of us knows whether that has taken place in the OP gym but we would certainly hope so.

There is a significant legal line between 13 and 14. Honestly, I would not be happy with a 14 year old spotting my child on beam either, but if the gym's management lacks the basic judgment even to comply with this labor standard, I'd have some really significant questions about judgment on two counts. What other legal corners are they willing to cut that are there for good reasons?

Part of this is a labor issue for me. All over these boards, parents worry about coaching expertise and knowledge. In the capitalist system in the US, generally expertise and knowledge help to set the cost of labor. I have no problem with youngish teenagers helping little ones to stay in line and wait their turn or teaching them how to stretch. But once they start doing the actual labor of coaching -- spotting, teaching skills, etc., -- that's a wholly different matter. A gym that over-relies on enthusiastic teenage volunteers to provide labor for free or pays for it at a substandard rate under the table is undercutting the wage labor system that should be compensating and developing the junior coaches who will advance to become the senior coaches we all respect and rely upon here for their wisdom, experience, and advice. If the local gym has three L7-L8 teenagers "helping" afterschool and on Saturdays with team, they won't hire the late high school or college gymnast, and that gymnast will work in the library instead.

Yo, gym owners! As a parent, I'd rather see you hire the older and more experienced gymnast and pay her/him a fair hourly rate and therefore pay a little more tuition myself, especially if it means that she or he might go on to become a great coach her/himself!

but they will a 14 or a 15 yr old? Look, I dont know the rules. Perhaps an agent or coach can answer.But given that teens are routinely working as support coaches in gym, rec or otherwise, it obviously is part of some insurance policies. It is no different than 14 yr olds teaching swim lessons, which is inherently more dangerous than lower level gymnastics.It is up to the HC to ensure every coach is properly trained and supervised. None of us knows whether that has taken place in the OP gym but we would certainly hope so.

You can get USAG safety certified at 14 as an instructor so there is a difference.

It is kind of strange that the course says 14, but when you go to the memberships, it says 16. But I know at our gym, anyone coaching has to be "of age" and safety certified. Even then, they tend not to hire until they are 15.

Eta: I was lookign at Junior professional. Then I saw Instructor. You can get your Instructor membership at 14.

It is kind of strange that the course says 14, but when you go to the memberships, it says 16. But I know at our gym, anyone coaching has to be "of age" and safety certified. Even then, they tend not to hire until they are 15.

Eta: I was lookign at Junior professional. Then I saw Instructor. You can get your Instructor membership at 14.

Well, it also depends on your state's labor laws.

@CTGymMom : This thread kind of got away from your question, but I will say, after rereading, that there are lots of concerns. You say girls have been injured on beam and bars being spotted by junior coach, who is 13. You have lots of other concerns as well. For me, I would be looking to move on to a new gym. Would love to hear an update! :)

To the OP, be very careful. If you do look at other gyms, be prepared to pack your DDs gym bag and go. The gymnastics world is very small, and it makes no difference, I find, if you are open and upfront, or sneaky and underhanded. The current gym is going to react however they are going to react.

Your best bet is to be as CLOSED MOUTHED as possible at the new gym. Go yourself and look, but don't take your DD until you have made a decision to move, and preferably, narrowed it down. Don't give a reason to ANYONE at the new gym for the move. If pressed, be as vague as possible. You don't want to seem like you are badmouthing the old gym. It will only make YOU look bad.

Safety sounds like an issue. Plus bad habits they pick up now will be even harder to break as they get older and progress to more difficult skills. DD is spending an extra year at 5 due to very bad habits in form that OG did not focus on, much like yours.

Junior coaches should never be spotting skills, my odd is a junior coach ( 14) but will only spot up to beg 1 kids and only with a senior coach right there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back