Parents Advice needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ProudDad1234

Proud Parent
My level 7 daughter is currently at a gym that does not have a large Level 10/college program. It is a smaller gym that has produced many great gymnasts that always leave before level 10 to gyms that offer a college/elite track. Current gym is planning on having her score out of Level 8 and start Level 9 for the summer. (She already has most her level 9 skills). How would I go about contacting and asking new gym to evaluate her for level 9. It seems like kind of a pushy request, however, I think for us to move her there this season they would have to offer that. If not I would think it would be better to keep her at the current gym another year to have her compete level 9. Level 8 would be extremely boring for her. She has finished 1st AA in most of her meets this past season scoring 37s and 38s. Any advice would be welcomed. We have never made a gym switch before so we are quite apprehensive about the whole situation. Current gym owner is aware and respectful of whatever decision we make but he definitely wants us to stay.

I would explain your situation just as you did here. Current gym does not have many upper optionals. Dd has many level 9 skills with current plan to score Pyt if level 8 and compete 9. You’d like her evaluated to see where she would fit with their team. Be aware, they may want her to stay level 8. Don’t time it out without hearing what we they think the best plan would be. If the g has more upper optionals experience then their training plan might be best for her long-term development.

Just remember that the minute you reach out to another gym there is every chance that the gym will contact your current gym. This has happened many times to parents here. So only reach out when you are ready to leave.

Does your current gym have other successful Level 9s either now or recent past? Curious what is making you want to switch this year?

Can you tell us a bit more how you know that your current coach is "aware of and respectful of whatever decision you make? Hard to give advice how to reach out to another gym without understanding the mindset of your current coach regarding reaching L10...

And I agree with Bog above that the college program gym may want her to compete L8, especially if she is on the younger side. The level she competes really doesn't matter, unless perhaps she is on the older side of shooting for college gym. What matters is that she is properly training at a pace that is right for her abilities and goals.

Proud -

I wouldn't be in such a big rush to have your dd score out of Level 8. From my dd's experience (and she made it to Lvl 10), competing the level 8 skills well is a lot different from just "having them" during practice. The skills introduced at Lvl 8 are really foundational for success at 9 and 10; it wouldn't surprise me in the least that a new club would want her to compete some number of meets at Lvl 8. As others have said above, colleges are looking for solid progression of skills so that when she gets to Lvl 10 the skills are there consistently.

As for getting another club to look at her, I would suggest being honest about your reasons. And definitely be aware that your current club will find out that you are looking.

Good Luck.

Some gyms are very respectful and private about tryouts. Maybe it is not the norm, but we were pleasantly surprised by the professionalism of gyms we contacted when making a switch. Honestly, that was something we prioritized along with highly experienced optional coaches and a program with successful level 10s. We had a similar situation being in a gym with a very small optional program (most kids left before reaching level 8) and the gym had not had any level 10s. We moved to a gym with a large optional program. We found the large program had many benefits beyond experienced coaches and a track record of producing level 10s. Simply being on a team were you see other girls learning level 9/10 skills is motivating and fun. Previously, DD was competing in meets with only one or 2 other teammates. Now, she competes with a group of 8 to 10 teammates. Being part of a larger group is more fun for her. There are so many skill options for a level 9 or 10 and having coaches that have trained and worked with many gymnasts to me is a big plus. Every kid and situation is different. We were careful not to burn bridges and still have a positive relationship with her old gym. Maybe this is unusual, but it can happen.

Level 8 skills recently seen at state meet:
Yurchenko pike vaults
Pirouettes, shoot-overs, double back dismount on uneven bars
back handspring/layout step out series, back tucks, round off/layout full dismounts on beam
Front layout to front layout fulls, Back layout 1 1/2 to front tuck on floor

Not boring.

Some gyms are very respectful and private about tryouts. Maybe it is not the norm, but we were pleasantly surprised by the professionalism of gyms we contacted when making a switch. Honestly, that was something we prioritized along with highly experienced optional coaches and a program with successful level 10s. We had a similar situation being in a gym with a very small optional program (most kids left before reaching level 8) and the gym had not had any level 10s. We moved to a gym with a large optional program. We found the large program had many benefits beyond experienced coaches and a track record of producing level 10s. Simply being on a team were you see other girls learning level 9/10 skills is motivating and fun. Previously, DD was competing in meets with only one or 2 other teammates. Now, she competes with a group of 8 to 10 teammates. Being part of a larger group is more fun for her. There are so many skill options for a level 9 or 10 and having coaches that have trained and worked with many gymnasts to me is a big plus. Every kid and situation is different. We were careful not to burn bridges and still have a positive relationship with her old gym. Maybe this is unusual, but it can happen.
My son's experience is very similar. New gym has coaches with experience training level 9/10. Having same level teammates has been invaluable.

Thank you for all the responses. Current owner/coach is understanding because he knows that the gym hasn't directly put anyone into college. His gym has been more of a pipeline for the more established gyms once girls finish level 9. Owner wants to change this but its hard because it doesn't seem like anyone wants to risk being the first one to stay until college. I am not worried about it getting back to him that we may try out another gym because we were upfront and honest about it. As of right now IF everyone stays, the gym will have its largest level 9 team in years . It may be 7 or 8 girls which is promising. My feeling is if we were to have to leave at some point, I have read it is better to do so sooner rather later. I may reach out to the other gym and ask if they would consider a private tryout to see where she would stand. It would just be difficult to convince DD we have to switch gyms and BTW you will be level 8 there, when she is happy at current gym and knows she will be level 9 here. She will be 12 (7th grade) for the next season and my understanding is that colleges are now looking at girls in 7th and 8th grades (which is crazy) so there seems to be pressure to get to level 10. These decisions can stress you out..lol.

Level 8 skills recently seen at state meet:
Yurchenko pike vaults
Pirouettes, shoot-overs, double back dismount on uneven bars
back handspring/layout step out series, back tucks, round off/layout full dismounts on beam
Front layout to front layout fulls, Back layout 1 1/2 to front tuck on floor

Not boring.
Definitely not! And not fun for parents to watch either!!:eek:

Thank you for all the responses. Current owner/coach is understanding because he knows that the gym hasn't directly put anyone into college. His gym has been more of a pipeline for the more established gyms once girls finish level 9. Owner wants to change this but its hard because it doesn't seem like anyone wants to risk being the first one to stay until college. I am not worried about it getting back to him that we may try out another gym because we were upfront and honest about it. As of right now IF everyone stays, the gym will have its largest level 9 team in years . It may be 7 or 8 girls which is promising. My feeling is if we were to have to leave at some point, I have read it is better to do so sooner rather later. I may reach out to the other gym and ask if they would consider a private tryout to see where she would stand. It would just be difficult to convince DD we have to switch gyms and BTW you will be level 8 there, when she is happy at current gym and knows she will be level 9 here. She will be 12 (7th grade) for the next season and my understanding is that colleges are now looking at girls in 7th and 8th grades (which is crazy) so there seems to be pressure to get to level 10. These decisions can stress you out..lol.
It really sounds like if she wants to fulfill her dreams, she will have to deal with switching and quite possibly being an 8. Which is definitely not the worst thing in the world, it will more than likely help her with 9 and 10 in the future.

Just remember what matters is not just being a level 10, but being a strong level 10 capable of contributing to a college team. Being a strong level 8 in 7th, strong level 9 in 8th, strong level 10 in 9th is a perfectly fine and well traveled path to college gymnastics, if that is the goal. Just make sure you and your daughter don't get too caught up in the level number. What matters is the training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back