Parents Advice on gyms in the Bay Area

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are as a family very new to gymnastics. I was wondering just out of curiosity what San Francisco Bay Area gym has been the most successful when it comes to training elites or higher level gymnasts? I remember reading somewhere on here about a family moving their daughter into to best gym in the area. How do you find which gym is the best?

I actually worked for one of the coaches at Airborne years ago when she was up in the Pacific northwest for a few years and it is so wild to see her out there with Nola Matthews now. I don't know anything else about the gym, but she is definitely a great coach for those upper levels!

I looked it up, and Royal is actually in Tracy. More valley than Bay Area, but we do see them in a lot of local meets.

San Mateo, Airborne, Royal and West Valley are all very successful training higher level optionals. I'm not aware that Royal has had elites yet, but it seems that they will get there soon. With great respect to coaches and gymnasts from all of these gyms, the best gym in the area for your gymnast may be completely different from any of these - there are a lot of factors to consider when deciding on the best fit.

San Mateo, Airborne, Royal and West Valley are all very successful training higher level optionals. I'm not aware that Royal has had elites yet, but it seems that they will get there soon. With great respect to coaches and gymnasts from all of these gyms, the best gym in the area for your gymnast may be completely different from any of these - there are a lot of factors to consider when deciding on the best fit.
Royal is not in the Bay and what elite does WV have?

To be fair, West Valley has trained Tiana Sumansekera, Emily Lee, Ciena Alipio and Sophie Parenti all in the last five years. I wouldn't necessarily count them out. I worked for another of the big gyms in the bay area and always recommended them as an option for parents moving to that part of the bay.

To be fair, West Valley has trained Tiana Sumansekera, Emily Lee, Ciena Alipio and Sophie Parenti all in the last five years. I wouldn't necessarily count them out. I worked for another of the big gyms in the bay area and always recommended them as an option for parents moving to that part of the bay.
None of them started at WV. I know two of them started at AB, I don’t know of any elites WV made

True... but the only one that is still there isn't training elite... correct?

Looks to be a great club... but two of their elites left... the other one is in college... and the last one dropped back to L10. I didn't know if they were really still in the elite game or not.

None of them started at WV. I know two of them started at AB, I don’t know of any elites WV made
Emily Lee competed her entire gymnastics career at West Valley until she left for UCLA. Cieno Alipio the same until she left for Midwest during Covid. They were both elites, and members of the National Team, while training at West Valley.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back