Advice on high school gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay I have been planning to do high school gymnastics next year. I was so excited when I used to think about it but I have been thinking too much about the downsides. The biggest is some of the equipment changes. I know they use foam mats instead of spring floors, and some other different equipment. This is really bothering me. I want to be able to do some harder skills next year but I see so many videos of high school gymnasts, even level 8s are just doing back tucks on floor. And also the scoring. It bothers me that the judges judge the routines based on difficulty. I actually might have some pretty hard routines next year, maybe around level 7, but on vault for example, some of the harder vaults I can do now are only 9.000 start value. I have been trying not to think about the scoring and just having fun, but it is still bothering me that I might not do well if the scoring is too low. What I am asking, can anyone who does or coaches or has kids in high school please tell me some things about high school gymnastics that will make me feel better about doing it? Some of the good parts or tell me more about the things I am worried about that will make me feel better? This is probably the only gymnastics I will do in the future and I want to make the best out of it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It seems that you are very passionate about gymnastics and competing, but just a tad bit nervous about some other things here and there. First off, I am not a high school gymnast. I have eight girls that are my good gym friends that are on a high school team. Let me tell you one thing, they LOVE it! They can never stop talking about all of the great times they have on that team. I totally understand what you mean when you say the gym floor doesn't have springs. My school, like many others, doesn't have a spring floor for gymnastics either. However, I have seen girls doing difficult skills such as fulls,but it just takes some getting use to. Some of the equipment is also a little bit different as well. The judging can also get pretty annoying too, but don't let it get to your head. I am sure you are not the only one with these feelings either. Remember that if you do your best on your level, the score is pointless. I highly recommend that you participate in your school team. It is such a wonderful experience and more relaxing than your typical USAG program. Its great to be surrounded by school mates that share your interest in the sport. The purpose of the high school teams is to just enjoy the sport! Love what you do, and have fun practicing it and improving! You will be able to acquire many new skills and challenge yourself to limits you never thought you could reach. Don't let fear ever stop you, because you will surely miss out! I promise you that you won't regret being on your school team!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I competed USAG my fresh/soph year of HS and High School gymnastics the last two years of high school. They both have pros and cons.. Pros for Y were the coaching and the equipment and the dedication. Cons were I was the only level 8 and there was less practice time. Pros for HS were that I would have a team, I could compete skills I couldn't in YMCA (USAG) because they were lvl 9 skills, and that the competition was higher, and more practice time. Cons for HS were the cliqueness was UNBELIEVABLE. I did NOT have the team aspect like I did with girls that weren't even in my level at my gym at YMCA. Sometimes I wish I would have done my senior year at Y, so I could have strengthened the friendships I had with those girls instead of the fake ones I had in high school. Hope this helps? They are all good aspects to look at, and you can always try high school out for just a year.

I actually had my very first high school competition on Wednesday (I used to compete for my club, but then i turned 18 and decided to try high school gym this year and wait until next year at university to compete Masters). It was the entire team's first high school competition and it was actually super fun.

I found HS competitions are WAY more laid back than club meets, less stressful and the whole atmosphere is just about competing as a team and having fun. Going from training out of a club to competing for HS i found the meet to be a lot easier than club as well. If this is the sort of thing you think you will like, than the more fun atmosphere of the competition should over rule the different/not as good gymnastics equipment. I personally love competing in this type of atmosphere way more than the club atmosphere, I actually find I do better because I am able to relax and perform my routines with less interference from nerves.
- I don't know what the rules are like for HS gym where you are because where i am the club and HS rules are the same, so I can't help you there sorry.

The one draw back (like you mentioned) was that the meet didn't have spring floors (it was just an invitational). I am going to our SOSSA meet (southern ontario secondary school athletics meet) on the 14th and apparently the higher up competitons - like competing for southern ontario or all of ontario - do have sprung floors, it is just some of the invitationals that don't. Maybe it is different where you are, but if it is just some of the meets that don't have spring floors than I think it is a sacrifice definitely worth making. I did have to alter my tumbling lines slightly (had to take out front tuck step out and replace it with a front walkover)- which i'm not going to lie did suck - but since i knew i would be competing on spring floors at other meets it wasn't a big deal. As far as the other equipment goes, it may be a little different from USAG (for you) but i hardly noticed and don't consider it a big problem.

If you like more team oriented, fun, and less stressful competitions and can sacrifice the spring floors (remember everyone is in the same boat there so the effect on preformace should be relatively proportional for everyone) than do it.

If you like the more competitive atmosphere (and in my opinion harder competition) and you think different equipment is a deal breaker than stay in club.

but this is just how i see it and how my transition went. Good luck with your decision.

Nothing to add other then - be thankful you have HS Gymnastics. It is fast becoming "the" sport to cut in public schools as a state-wide decision. The cost of liability insurance being the true killer.

Have fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back