Parents Advice on release move

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
My daughter is trying to move on to level 10. The only thing she is missing is the single rail release move on bars. They are wanting her to do tkatchev. Between COVID and some medical issues/injuries last year, she missed most of level 9 and really did only one meet. She was a level 9 the year prior when the season was cut short due to COVID. She is getting very frustrated because at most she works the release move once per week (at this point usually drills). They have been in and out of gym a good bit lately due to COVID cases. She was supposed to work on it yesterday but her coach forgot. Apparently he has a shoulder injury right now and is not able to spot much. Her teammates are mostly catching their releases bc they have been working on them on/off since December. I am trying to have her take responsibility for communicating with her coach, and she is trying to handle this herself. Any suggestions? Would it be reasonable to ask for some privates in this case? Any suggestions? Thanks.

My daughter is trying to move on to level 10. The only thing she is missing is the single rail release move on bars. They are wanting her to do tkatchev. Between COVID and some medical issues/injuries last year, she missed most of level 9 and really did only one meet. She was a level 9 the year prior when the season was cut short due to COVID. She is getting very frustrated because at most she works the release move once per week (at this point usually drills). They have been in and out of gym a good bit lately due to COVID cases. She was supposed to work on it yesterday but her coach forgot. Apparently he has a shoulder injury right now and is not able to spot much. Her teammates are mostly catching their releases bc they have been working on them on/off since December. I am trying to have her take responsibility for communicating with her coach, and she is trying to handle this herself. Any suggestions? Would it be reasonable to ask for some privates in this case? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I think it would be worth asking for a private personally. But would the coach be able to do much if he has a shoulder injury? Is there another coach capable of spotting? I'm definitely not an expert, but I think that is probably the biggest part of the problem. I know that we really only have 1 coach at our gym that coaches/spots level 10 release moves and if he was injured, it would definitely impact their training unfortunately.

For reference, my daughter is training level 10 and, from her reports, I think her release move is what she is training the most by far. She's also been injured so she is more focused on bars, but she is working on it every practice.

Does she have to have it to compete level 10 at your gym? I know some gyms are willing to let a first year level 10 compete without a single rail release. Ours definitely prefers it, but we do have one of our first years 10s that is going to do a toe sheet instead (she does have a really nice shootover to handstand also). If that is the only skill she doesn't have and it's more a factor of the coach/gym not being able to focus on it right now, it seems like they should be able to come up with something different to avoid doing level 9 again.

Oh and I agree with having her handle the talking to the coach herself. If he forgets or doesn't seem like he is planning on doing it that practice, maybe she can remind him or ask him what the plan is at that time.

Yes, I think the injured coach is kind of a problem. That may be partly what is elevating her anxiety. I am no expert, but I think the release move probably needs more than once per week of work?? It looks really hard to me. She is definitely old enough to handle this on her own and should handle it herself, but if she is asking and no solution is being offered, I guess I'm wondering at what point do I butt in? I think they will let her move on to 10 without it. The other events are fine. I will say she doesn't have a yurchenko full yet, but I was told the layout is fine for the first year. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I think the injured coach is kind of a problem. That may be partly what is elevating her anxiety. I am no expert, but I think the release move probably needs more than once per week of work?? It looks really hard to me. She is definitely old enough to handle this on her own and should handle it herself, but if she is asking and no solution is being offered, I guess I'm wondering at what point do I butt in? I think they will let her move on to 10 without it. The other events are fine. I will say she doesn't have a yurchenko full yet, but I was told the layout is fine for the first year. Thanks for the feedback.
I mean I've heard they can take years to get, so I definitely think they are hard! I do think more than once a week is needed. It's really the main focus right now for our (potentially) rising first year level 10s. Plus just catching them is one thing, but it's a whole other thing to actually incorporate them into a routine. It would definitely make my daughter anxious too to not be focusing on them. :( I'm not much for talking to the coaches myself (probably more because of social anxiety than anything), but if she has tried with no solution, I think it wouldn't hurt for you to reach out and just ask what the plan is and maybe mention a private.

And I don't think any of our new 10s have yurchenko fulls yet either. Mine will be lucky to have her layout. lol. She was just getting it before she broke her ankle and has only been working on the tumble track since. So who knows what will happen there!

Yes! Same! I had also heard they can take years. So I feel her frustration. And you are so right. Just because they are starting to catch the release move as a single skill, that is definitely not the same thing as catching it in a routine.

So sorry about the broken ankle. We've been dealing with wrist and hand issues all season, so it was just set back after set back. It's so frustrating after all of the time they put in to this.

My daughter is no where near level 10 yet, but I will say most of our first year, and even some second year, 10s don’t compete a single bar release. And none have a yurchenko full either. So I think she will be just fine if it doesn’t come together in time for this season. That being said, I’d probably email the coach and just ask about the plan and see if they are available for privates.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back