Parents Advice on Resolving GK Leotard Issues?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

scanlri

Proud Parent
I am hoping some of the members here have been around the block with leotard issues and may have some advice.

Background: My dd's optional team got new competitive leotards this year. At the first meet the HC was alerted to the fact that the leotards were cut too high (judges actually measured) and a deduction was taken. This turns out to be a production/quality control issue. Half of the teams leotards are either cut too high and/or the legs are not cut the same at all (one is too high... the other not).

Sooo... fast forward.... The gym contacted GK to get the issue addressed ASAP. We were instructed to send in all of the defective leotards with measurements and pictures. Check..... not 1 of the 30 girls measured larger than the GK stated measurements for leo sizing and the pictures told the story (think elite leo cut with even more exposure for some). After a few weeks, we received the SAME leotards back from GK with a video explaining that there was not an issue with the leotards and a demonstration on how to stretch the leotards. No explanation as to why half of the leotards were cut different (correctly).

We all paid $280 for the leotards and are VERY disappointed in GK quality and customer service. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with leotard issues and getting a resolution? Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Call Gk and explain the issue again. Let them know that you guys buy tons of leos from them each year and invest a lot of money in GK. Tell them you are disappointed and won't buy from them again.

Sorry- did you say the judges measured the leos and took points away because they were too high cut? I shall get in touch with FIG and tell them that to the D and È scores they need to add an F (fashion) score.
Good grief. Hope you get the issue with the leos resolved, but I think it is outrageous that points would be deducted unless the leos were actually unsafe.

Tell them about deductions because of the leotards. Tell them you'll get statements from the judges if they don't believe you.
Tell them word will spread that gymnasts are losing points because of defective GK leotards and that it isn't worth the risk to purchase from them as they refuse to replace badly made defective and very expensive competition leotards.

I agree with coachp. We had issues we were unable to resolve. Not quite as bad as this story though. I'm not sure what you guys should try to do. You could try to go higher than the regional rep. I know you guys have a big order. Perhaps stating enough disappointment that they understand they will lose a thousands of dollar order will work, although in my experience it hasn't necessarily been like that.

GK has always fixed the issues with our leos...and yes...there have been issues...all on their end.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I should contact them too. My dd state leo last year was the shiney fabric and it has only been hand washed gentle soap and all of the silver shiney is gone. It has happened to all the girls in gym. I just think that if you pay $60 for a "state" leo it should hold up to normal wear.

I am hoping some of the members here have been around the block with leotard issues and may have some advice.

Background: My dd's optional team got new competitive leotards this year. At the first meet the HC was alerted to the fact that the leotards were cut too high (judges actually measured) and a deduction was taken. This turns out to be a production/quality control issue. Half of the teams leotards are either cut too high and/or the legs are not cut the same at all (one is too high... the other not).

Sooo... fast forward.... The gym contacted GK to get the issue addressed ASAP. We were instructed to send in all of the defective leotards with measurements and pictures. Check..... not 1 of the 30 girls measured larger than the GK stated measurements for leo sizing and the pictures told the story (think elite leo cut with even more exposure for some). After a few weeks, we received the SAME leotards back from GK with a video explaining that there was not an issue with the leotards and a demonstration on how to stretch the leotards. No explanation as to why half of the leotards were cut different (correctly).

We all paid $280 for the leotards and are VERY disappointed in GK quality and customer service. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with leotard issues and getting a resolution? Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated!

ok...that's bull****! on top of complaining to GK, write a letter to Luan Peszek at USA Gymnastics AND your State Director. let them both know what the Judges did. NOT THEIR PLACE! (Dunno is pulling the hair on the top of his head with both hands!)

I was wondering if I should contact them too. My dd state leo last year was the shiney fabric and it has only been hand washed gentle soap and all of the silver shiney is gone. It has happened to all the girls in gym. I just think that if you pay $60 for a "state" leo it should hold up to normal wear.
Did you rub it together when washing? Also, I have found that most soaps (even gentle ones) that come into direct contact with mystique tend to remove the shine... didn't know soon enough, but when I figured it out, I finished removing the shine from the rest of the affected leo (not a comp leo) and she continued wearing it. She has since passed it down to her stepsister.

I find that this is the best way to wash leos (I know some disagree, but this is my preferred method): Start washing machine filling with cold water, washer set to gentlest cycle available. Add gentle soap, such as Woolite to the water before leos go in. Do NOT add fabric softener! Turn all leos inside out. Wash a load of JUST leos, with no other laundry. This way, they don't come into contact with rougher fabrics or buttons/snaps/zippers/other things that can catch. Hang leos to dry, inside out. This has kept our leos looking pretty close to new.

And I also have to add that we have had problems with GK leos at our gym too. They have been good about fixing any that had issues, but it takes a LONG time to get them fixed. I think it's ridiculous that they are asking you to stretch these leos--it sounds like they are legitimately cut too high.

GK has always fixed the issues with our leos...and yes...there have been issues...all on their end.
We had that problem for 5 years with GK
First year, one sleeve was wrong (they did "sparkle" and it was supposed to be something else) and they were late. The following year, our velvet was "special order" and they were late. The next year, our color of velvet was discontinued, so on their own, they replaced the velvet bodice with nylon (didn't look right on the older, taller girls... if they had asked HC, she would have opted for mystique) and they were late. The year after that, we went with an entirely new design AND new GK warm ups... they were late, the warm ups were "cheap" and wrinkled easily and couldn't be ironed and they were late. We were also NOT told by the rep that came to the gym and fitted the girls that they were going to be making it a special order leotard and completely discontinuing it in December of the following season (didn't make sense because it was featured on Make It or Break It in the Trials episode)... and they didn't listen to me when I said YG should get a CL instead of a CM (because the sizers were Nylon and the leo was Mystique - fit is different AND sizers were worn by a lot of girls AND YG was due for a growth spurt and we wanted the leo to last a couple of seasons... she ended up borrowing one the 2nd year for Y Nationals because I had to peel hers off her after a half hour 3 months before Nationals. The borrowed one was AXS. If she had gotten the CL, it would have been fine.) The 2nd year, all the girls that needed new leos had to pay almost double because of being special order and the ones that joined team in mid-December to beginning of January had to figure something out. (OG traded her ASM for the AM that was given to HC by a girl who had left team for dance. One of the girls wore OG's ASM... the AM was too big for her. The other girl borrowed OG's old, old team leo - the one with the velvet bottom).
GK's solution every year was to offer a discount the following year.
Now we have Alpha Factor. They are on time. less expensive, and correct (even if the Adult size warm ups do run on the large side).

Last edited by a moderator:
My DD is at the same gym as OP and her leo is one of those that are both too high cut AND have leg holes that are distinctly different. One leg hole is more round, the other is oval and one is higher than the other when she is wearing it. Despite the fact that the leo fits her well everywhere else, the leg holes are high enough that when she is out on the floor competing, the leg holes pop up over her hip bone. It is extremely frustrating to have paid so much for a leo that should last her multiple years and then have an obvious problem with the workmanship that the manufacturer will not resolve. We buy a lot of GK practice leos in addition to the competition leo but this problem and lack of appropriate customer service is very disappointing and unexpected.

I hear these issues with GK all the time and it seems like they've gotten so big, they just don't care. DDs gym switched to Snowflake leotards a few years ago and have been very happy. Maybe if more people stopped using GK when they didn't fix issues, they would start caring again.

Maybe OP should point GK in the direction of this thread. Put links on the FB page etc.
Great idea! I will put a link to this thread on their page. The gym has been working with someone pretty high up in their customer service chain, so I am not very hopeful of getting this resolved. I am happy to post updates and let everyone know if GK actually comes through.

dunno ... I like your idea, but I will leave contacting USAG and the state to our HC and/or gym owner. I don't want to get myself in hot water.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back