Advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
Hi all
So long story cut short. My 11 year old has been at the same gym since she was 8. She is in squad but not artistic. General 4 piece. She has always wanted to do artistic but her gym have always stated that she started too late for that pathway. They say had she started a year earlier she would have been on that pathway. They say she has bags of potential but no grades route for her due to age. She does well in her squad and competes several times a year. She usually always places well particularly on bars and vault. She only trains 6 hours weekly.

So about 2 years ago her coach left to set up her own gym due to some ethos differences. The gym is doing well despite covid. Prior to leaving she told me that my daughter is more than capable of doing grades as were several of her squad mates and it was, in part, the deciding factor for taking the plunge of setting up her own gym (her dream and goal anyway). She believes all girls with the motivation, desire and ability should get the opportunity even if it means competing out of age.

My daughter has now asked to follow her old coach due to having two coaches leave within the past 18 months. She thrives on consistency. We have just found out that her squad group will have yet another coach when they return later this week! Again daughter has expressed wanting to follow her original coach so I reached out. She has said she would welcome her with open arms. She has also said that she wants to put her in their artistic group. She would skip grades 6 and 5 and possibly 4 if she can get back get skills quickly after so long out of gym thanks to covid. That means potentially starting with grade 3 which would only be one year out of age. 2 years of she she needs to compete 4. My daughter does not mind this whatsoever. She just wants to do her grades and be back with her coach.

Do I let her go for it? Seems scary skipping those early grades. Skills wise she’s def at the grade 4/3.... but she won’t get the chance to grades if she stays at current gym. As silly as it sounds, I’m afraid to move her! Having been told for years she’s too old/they don’t do out of age it’s hard to think she can! She wants to desperately - even if it is the lower pathway of regional grades!

Turns out it wasn’t such a short story! What would you do?

I would go for it! Give her a chance to reach her potential. If she doesn't enjoy it with the greater intensity or skipping that many levels, it sounds like the coach you mention is understanding and will work with her at her comfort level.

Hi all
So long story cut short. My 11 year old has been at the same gym since she was 8. She is in squad but not artistic. General 4 piece. She has always wanted to do artistic but her gym have always stated that she started too late for that pathway. They say had she started a year earlier she would have been on that pathway. They say she has bags of potential but no grades route for her due to age. She does well in her squad and competes several times a year. She usually always places well particularly on bars and vault. She only trains 6 hours weekly.

So about 2 years ago her coach left to set up her own gym due to some ethos differences. The gym is doing well despite covid. Prior to leaving she told me that my daughter is more than capable of doing grades as were several of her squad mates and it was, in part, the deciding factor for taking the plunge of setting up her own gym (her dream and goal anyway). She believes all girls with the motivation, desire and ability should get the opportunity even if it means competing out of age.

My daughter has now asked to follow her old coach due to having two coaches leave within the past 18 months. She thrives on consistency. We have just found out that her squad group will have yet another coach when they return later this week! Again daughter has expressed wanting to follow her original coach so I reached out. She has said she would welcome her with open arms. She has also said that she wants to put her in their artistic group. She would skip grades 6 and 5 and possibly 4 if she can get back get skills quickly after so long out of gym thanks to covid. That means potentially starting with grade 3 which would only be one year out of age. 2 years of she she needs to compete 4. My daughter does not mind this whatsoever. She just wants to do her grades and be back with her coach.

Do I let her go for it? Seems scary skipping those early grades. Skills wise she’s def at the grade 4/3.... but she won’t get the chance to grades if she stays at current gym. As silly as it sounds, I’m afraid to move her! Having been told for years she’s too old/they don’t do out of age it’s hard to think she can! She wants to desperately - even if it is the lower pathway of regional grades!

Turns out it wasn’t such a short story! What would you do?
If you and daughter are happy with the original coach then absolutely yes. Skipping grades is not a problem, it’s better she is entered at the level suitable for her. Sounds like this will keep her motivated and she’ll be with a coach looking at individual needs rather than following ridiculous club rules (starting at 8 should never have precluded her from squad/grades). Good luck to her

She will have a coach she is happy with. She will be training for artistic gymnastics. The coach will presumably put her in for whichever grade is the most appropriate (the age really doesn't matter for regional grades). I can't see a downside.

Thank you all! Just a quick update - my daugter is going along tonight to try a session and see what she thinks!
I’m worried about telling her current gym if she chooses to leave though as she’s been there a very long time! They know she wants more though....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back