Advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So... I have a problem.

We have a travel meet this year in Florida (and actually, we've had one there the past two years). The problem is... I am COMPLETELY terrified of flying. I've been to both of the other travel meets, but the experience flying back the last time was awful (lots and lots of turbulence). Put it this way... I took a valium and that didn't help. That's how bad it is. I wind up in a full on panic attack, complete with tears and hyperventilating. Driving isn't really an option... my dad's a mechanic for USAir (ironic, right? My 12 YO brother is also working for his pilot's license) so we fly for free.

Once I get down there I'm A-OK... although the thought of flying home in X days is always in the back of my mind. I want to go... we always have a blast, and the meets are great! I know it's an irrational fear, I just can't help it. It almost makes me think it's not worth going. What should I do? Advice?

Thank you so so much...

-K

Try consulting a cognitive behavioral therapist that specializes in phobias. Fear of flying is fairly common, and there are steps that you can take between now and then to ease that fear. Even a big, tough man I know was afraid for his first flight, but he made it and now he likes to fly!

You are not alone with your fears.I have the same problem.I do take something when I fly.It is not Valium.It works pretty good.I know taking drugs is not the best thing so maybe you can try counseling first.
My folks live in Europe so we have to go on a really long flight.

There are alot of people with this fear so your not alone. Talk to your doctor on this and see if there is something else they can prescribe. I know my mothers friend is really bad and once they are on board she takes a pill that just about knocks her out. If she didn't take it she would never fly anywhere.

Where are you flying from? Would it be possible to maybe take a train? I know from where I am its a 24 hour ride. My grandfather worked for Amtrack and we could ride for free when I grew up so I grew up loving to take trains everywhere. It's a longer trip but it can be fun if you can get a group to go with you.

There are alot of people with this fear so your not alone. Talk to your doctor on this and see if there is something else they can prescribe. I know my mothers friend is really bad and once they are on board she takes a pill that just about knocks her out. If she didn't take it she would never fly anywhere.

Where are you flying from? Would it be possible to maybe take a train? I know from where I am its a 24 hour ride. My grandfather worked for Amtrack and we could ride for free when I grew up so I grew up loving to take trains everywhere. It's a longer trip but it can be fun if you can get a group to go with you.

Would be flying from Pittsburgh into DC or Philly first, then to Orlando. I actually think I would really enjoy the train ride, I've always wanted to try that. :) But again, it's the price thing. And since we fly for free, that's the only way down there.

I am really considering a therapist, because flying isn't the only illogical fear I have. I think it would help.

Thanks guys!

I have a fear of flying as well. There was one time many years ago that I had a flight and I was in complete panic mode and didn't want to go. It was horrible. I ended up going with the help of Xanax, but I didn't like feeling like that on the plane either, because my fear was that if something did happen, I couldn't even help myself out of the plane, etc.

Try this site. I used something similar back then and it helped a little. I looked at this one and it looks really good. And it is FREE!!

Fear of Flying: FREE Online Fear of Flying Self Help Course

Last edited:
I don't like to fly either!!! My DD laughs at me, but I REALLY, REALLY DO NOT LIKE IT!! I think I may try that self-help course as well.

We are also going to an Orlando meet. Which one are you going to? We're doing the Disney one Feb 5-6 (I think those are the dates).

Good luck to both of us! (on the flying issue)

Would be flying from Pittsburgh into DC or Philly first, then to Orlando. I actually think I would really enjoy the train ride, I've always wanted to try that. :) But again, it's the price thing. And since we fly for free, that's the only way down there.

I am really considering a therapist, because flying isn't the only illogical fear I have. I think it would help.

Thanks guys!

Hey FREE is good I would do what I had to for free flights.

From where you are it would be about 20 hours by train which can be really cool because you get to have a sleeper train. If you didn't have free flight tickets It would be a great trip on the train for the team.

I think I may try that self-help course as well.

We are also going to an Orlando meet. Which one are you going to? We're doing the Disney one Feb 5-6 (I think those are the dates).

It helped. The guy who wrote it is great!

Is that the Presidential Classic? That's the one we did this past season (it was AWESOME). This year we'll be doing the New Years Invitational... same gym, but Jan. 2-3. Excited, just not so excited about transport. :rolleyes:

Cher062 - Ahhh, that would be a blast... I wish we could. :indifferent:

^Without stopping, it's about 14 hours, from what I've heard. I actually might have a way to get back in the car with my teammate, but I'd be going down earlier than everyone else to spend Christmas with my aunt... so I'll more than likely be flying down, since it's free for us. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back