Aerial HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok i am trying to learn an aerial and my coach said i should learn it first on the trampoline.

But I still cant :( I dunno why

But every time i go to do one I keep putting down my hands.

Could you please give me tips or suggestions, i can already do cartwheels and 1 handed cartwheels of course.

My friend from gym is also trying to learn it so if you give tips it will help both of us.

Please and thank you :D

Its just a mental block!

I just hold onto myself. I think it common to put your hands down at first your scared that your going to kill youself or something. The truth of the matter is if you fall you fall on you side or shoulder on a soft tramp. Just do it! You have to move your hips really quickly to the standing position or you 'will' fall. It takes practice but i'm sure you will get it!

Aerials are actually harder on the trampoline than off the ground in my opinion. I think I'd rather learn it off a raised surface (like a wedge mat or a block) onto a softer mat than on a trampoline.

If anything aerials into a pit or on the end of a tumbl-trak. One legged landings are dangerous and problematic on trampolines.

Aerial round-off would be ok.

Make sure you push off hard with your legs and use your arms to throw.
If the tramp isn't working for you i would try running and doing them off a beat board. (that's how i learned them). Like gymdog was saying, in my opinion aerials are harder on a tramp.
You could also do them off a wedge with a crash mat at the end. This will give you even more height. When you are first learning it is very normal to put your hands down (just keep practicing the technique of throwing and pushing with your legs).

What really helped me when i was learning was to think i was throwing my head under my body and then whipping my legs to the ground. lol sounds funny, but that's seriously how i got my aerial

GOOD LUCK!
let us know how it's going.

If the tramp isn't working for you i would try running and doing them off a beat board.

I learned them this way too, with an 8 incher behind. The weight transfer from the back to the front leg is much more normal than on a tramp, not to mention the landing safety.

pretend your arms are cut off and u dont have any so u wont be able to put your hands down. it sounds a little crazy but trust me...it works. or just go for it. youll be fine and it fun and safe. i admit...it was hard to learn but when i got it, i was soooooooooooo happy b/c i just went for it no matter what happened and i actually did it.

Make sure you push off hard with your legs and use your arms to throw.
If the tramp isn't working for you i would try running and doing them off a beat board. (that's how i learned them). Like gymdog was saying, in my opinion aerials are harder on a tramp.
You could also do them off a wedge with a crash mat at the end. This will give you even more height. When you are first learning it is very normal to put your hands down (just keep practicing the technique of throwing and pushing with your legs).

What really helped me when i was learning was to think i was throwing my head under my body and then whipping my legs to the ground. lol sounds funny, but that's seriously how i got my aerial

GOOD LUCK!
let us know how it's going.

Thanks so much for the advice, i was practicing it at home today on my tramp and my friend came over. I just about got the aerial and she learnt it!! She is so very thankful and i am too even though i havn't got it yet :D . Coach will be proud. Many thanx again

Aerials on the tramp are hard to time right. I learned my aerial on the floor so the first time I did one on the tramp was when my coach had me try it out as a prank. You have to go at about half the speed of an aerial on the floor. You have to sink with the tramp surface and kick up as you're being bounced up. Nothing like a tramp to fall safely on though. Just if you learn anything on the tramp, you have to adjust your timing when you move to the floor. And you'll have to push off the floor harder.
If the trampoline isn't working out, you could just work aggresive dive cartwheels. That's how I learned my aerial. My dive cartwheels got so high my hands just didn't touch the floor. But do what works best for yo and you'll get it. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back