Aerials on high beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wondering if anyone else out here has the same problem as me or has some tips.
Anyways, i am learning just your normal side aerial on beam. i have gotten it up to a knee high beam but find it difficult to progress from there. a side aerial is a skill that comes very easily to me and i do not knwo why i am scared to throw it. once i do get myself to throw it, i get upset with myself because it is so easy. that day i will do about ten. the next time i try to throw my aerial, i get scared all over again. i know in the back of my mind that once i throw it it will be easy, but it doesnt help me throw it. i was just wondering if any one else had this same problem with the aerial or with another skill and how they got over this fear. i was also wondering if anyone knew any tips to stop "overthinking" my skills. any aerial tips would also be appreciated:D

think of the beach, and sun and a good time there at the beach. then get back up and keep doing them until the fear abates.:)

I used to have the same problem, it's getting better. What helped me is to just stare at a place on the beam (right in front were you will land) , imagine the aerial in my head, take a deep breath and go. I don't know if this will help you but it's what I do.

Over and over and over again. Difficulties, and overcoming them will always be a part of gymnastics. I get the feeling you wish you could just "blast through" this particular problem, perhaps the same way you've seen others do. So go ahead and "blast through", but do that in your own way.

Some people can just blast through a difficulty, while others seem to nibble their way through. You may be nibbler, and that's not a bad thing. I think nibblers have a better chance of learning the skill well, as they tend to do a higher number of repititions, while blasters do a lower number of repititions in a fog of fear and anxiety.

So go ahead and nibble your way through an aerial on the beam that allows you a sense of security. Just be sure to work at a fast pace, like 3 sets of 5, or 4 sets of 4, where you work hard for a minute or so, then do something else for a few minutes before doing the next set.

So challenge yourself with numbers and time allowed. Don't worry about the height of beam, if you truly want this skill, that will take care of itself.

Stack mats up under the high beam so that you are comfortable with the height as you get more confident take mats out. it gets you used to being up higher, and I was told my a sports pyschologist that it is easier to take away mats then move to a higher beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back