age and more...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

my daughter is 8 and is currently practicing level 4. although there must be some talent there, I am starting to get a feeling that she may not have it in her and was wondering if you have any smart advise... it takes her a while (longer than her peers) to get new skills.. she is motivated but I feel that she is not doing her utmost best at all times. with her "old" age for a gymnast, i was wondering, what would you say - is it time to potentially explore other options? or maybe just let her have it her way and see what happens after she start competing?

8 is not old....some kids don't even start gymnastics until they are 10 and then become elite althetes.

if she is still showing interest and seems motivated then let her help you decide what she wants to do. i know for a fact that 8 year olds don't always do their best ALL the time....

My advice to you is wait. 8 is in no way "too old" for this sport. If the sport is her passion, let her see where it takes her. Talk to her coaches, they are truely in the best position to tell what the future might hold. Even then, though, something might just click one day and off she will go on a path you never imagined.

Good Luck in your journey.

thank you all. I guess I am just a bit concerned as her progress is a bit "stuck". thanks for the responses. I will consult with her coaches but will definately let her continue as long as she is into it! Thanks.

My DD is 9 and will start competing L4 this Fall. It takes my daughter a little longer than some of the other girls to get some of the skills, but I know that she goes at her own pace and will get things in her own time. Like others have said, as long as your daughter is happy, having fun and enjoying herself, let her keep at it!

I agree that 8 is not too old. I would also ask her coaches if they think she is 'stuck'. Do they feel she is progressing well and is a 'good listener' at practice? If so, and she is having fun, then let her enjoy the ride! Because really, it should be all about having fun and feeling good about themselves...especially at age 8!

Well first of all,
An 8 year old level 4 is very common around here. In fact 8 year old level 4s make up the majority of our level 4 team, with maybe three 7 year olds and four or five 9 and 10 year olds.

Second of all, I'd give her a chance, I mean it took shawn johnson over a year to learn her kip and look where shes at now.
Just because it takes a bit longer to get new skills doesn't mean she doesn't have talent.
Not giving it her all, well I mean shes 8. She probably gets distracted at times or may be tired for some practices. It really happens with everyone.

If she's motivated and loving it, let her keep at it. My little one is 6 (almost 7) moving up to Level 4 and sometimes I feel like she's "old" given some of those kids that started at age 2. If the passion is there, who cares if she gets it a little slower? Gymnastics is a marathon not a sprint. ;)

I agree. The biggest group competing at the level 4 meets DD has been to tends to be the 7-8 yr. old age group, so she's really not "old".:D As long as she's enjoying it, I'd let her be. DD in her 1st yr of 4 was usually the last to get a skill in her group. And I confess that I was a bit nervous when she moved up to level 5 recently but I see her catching on quicker to new skills. Good luck to your daughter! Hope she has a blast competing.

In Australia our levels are very similar to the USA and 8 is the youngest you will ever see a level 4. The average is 10 and many are 12-13c

8 is not by any means OLD no matter what anyone tells you and every kid is different some go quickly some take their time. My DD has always been one to take her time but once she gets it her form is great and she doesn't have to "re-learn" it without mistakes like some of the speed demonds do. Every gymnast has their own rate to learn. you will see when the fall comp season starts just what she can do.

This thinking too doesn't stop my DD is L8 and been at this what seems like forever she takes her time and every year at this time I get nervous too that she won't have the skills for the season especially if she is moving up. But every year she does have her skills and usually places in the top 10. I think we moms just worry but our kids have it under control.

Well I guess it would depend if SHE wanted to continue doing gymnastics...if you sense she's "not progressing" and "not doing her best" due to disinterest then I would investigate other sports or hobbies (musical instrument, drama) but if she's "not progressing" but is trying and enjoys it, then I would continue with it.

My daughter is a 7th year level 10 and headed off to compete in college and before she decided that gymnastics was her thing she did baseball, soccer, Brownies, swimming and dance and she was good at all those other events but wasn't "into it" so we moved on until she found her passion, which was gymnastics. So maybe your daughter is on her journey to find her niche...

My dd was an 8 year old Level 4 and is now 11 and trying for Level 7, if she enjoys it let her keep at it, do not compare her to others in her group. Sometimes it is better to progress slower.

My DD is 8.5 yrs old and currently training L4. She began training last fall at L4 and competed Prep Op for this year. She will train L4 through summer and pick up L5 skills as well. She turns around with a boost every time her confidence level picks up with the mastery of a new skill she has worked on for months. - Expect lulls of interest and confidence both. Also something I want to mention that we have gone through this year is the temporary "loss" of a skill she had mastered due to growth spurts. All children will go through them and it's important to be a source of encouragement when they are working through that period of time. Their spatial awareness can be thrown off a bit when their body mass changes. (leg cut on bars, handstand on beam, etc). Best of luck to your daughter!!

she's 8! shannon miller sucked when she was 8. and so did a host of others. does that answer your question? :)

At the "ripe old age" of 8, many kids are still learning through "play" and imaginative creations. IMO these learning "modes have to run their course to end up with a "maximized" child, who can then move on and learn more efficiently in what we consider traditional learning. I wonder what effect "forced" learning would have on a child's future ability to create, decode, and problem solve.....

I also feel that most gymnasts slow down their learning at a point of diminishing returns, and your daughter's day will come as she catches up to them. I've coached many kids who were silly and carefree at age 8 and 9, only to see something "click" that has them surpassing other kids that were serious at the age of 7 or 8. That's not to say that 7yo's who are making phenomenal progress should slow down when they're having fun and setting goals, but they are the exception.

You may not have a future national team member on your hands, but thats just the way it is for about 6000 kids for every child who makes the national team.

thank you all. I guess I am just a bit concerned as her progress is a bit "stuck". thanks for the responses. I will consult with her coaches but will definately let her continue as long as she is into it! Thanks.

The benefit of gymnastics is in the now. I really wish they didn't compete until about the equivalent of optionals. How do you define success? My daughter won't compete level 3 until after she turns 9. However she has fun, stays stretched out which benefits other sports and dance, gets good strength training, and eventually will be qualified to be a high school cheerleader just like the vast majority of kids who are levels 5 or 6 by age 9. I'll just keep her too busy in other things for her to go down that road :)

I haven't seen anyone younger then 8 doing level 4. I have been wondering if it is similar to the USA. I just don't get how a 6 year old gets over that dam vault table and jumping to the high bar.

In Australia our levels are very similar to the USA and 8 is the youngest you will ever see a level 4. The average is 10 and many are 12-13c

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back