MAG Age brackets at regionals (mens gymnastics)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
The Region 2 Regional Championship is going on now and I’m perplexed about how they are doing the age categories. Some levels are broken up into only 2 age groups: Jr and Sr. I’m not sure the exact age cut-off between the two groups but I know a 8-year-old and a 12-year-old who are both competing as level 5 Juniors. Is this typical for Regionals?

I don’t know if it’s typical but we are in region 2 for WAG. At the one meet we attended that included MAG, there were sessions included what seemed like a huge span of ages and multiple levels. Region 2 is small for WAG, let alone MAG, so just two age groups for Level 5 sounds possible. Alaska is also an expensive, long trip, so all athletes who qualified might not be there.

Lots of level 3s declined to attend due to travel costs. They offered spots to kids with lower qualifying scores. I know that there were so few level 6s in our state that all of them qualified. I guess they have to have a minimum number of kids to make a competitive division. It just seems a little unfair for 2nd graders to compete against middle schoolers.

Lots of level 3s declined to attend due to travel costs. They offered spots to kids with lower qualifying scores. I know that there were so few level 6s in our state that all of them qualified. I guess they have to have a minimum number of kids to make a competitive division. It just seems a little unfair for 2nd graders to compete against middle schoolers.
It is crazy! All you can hope for is a good experience and his own best performance. What a great adventure, though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News