WAG Age Division Determination

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter just competed in our State championships where she was placed in the second youngest division. We have friends at another gym whose daughter is in the same level but 4 days OLDER than mine, and she was placed in the youngest division. Does anyone know why this would happen? I'm just curious.

Yes, same state. At the exact same meet in the same session. Oh ok, I assumed it was an error but wasn't sure if there was some other weird reason that I was not aware of that would cause this to happen. Thanks!

Reactions: sce
Same state you mean? If so then a birthdate got entered incorrectly, I assume.
Yep different state, age groups are not the same. Same state a mistake somewhere. Unless its a state that has multiple states for a level. Then it might be different age groups again.

OK then never mind :D

Not necessarily a mistake at all. I am assuming you are referring to the group that your daughter was put in for awards (Jr A, Jr B, etc). The award groups can change from meet to meet depending on how many gymnasts are entered in the meet, how many girls the club wants to have in an award group, and how many awards the club wants to purchase. I separate award groups by singular days if necessary to get the numbers right. The modern scoring software does this for the meet director; this is not something for parents to stress over.

Not necessarily a mistake at all. I am assuming you are referring to the group that your daughter was put in for awards (Jr A, Jr B, etc). The award groups can change from meet to meet depending on how many gymnasts are entered in the meet, how many girls the club wants to have in an award group, and how many awards the club wants to purchase. I separate award groups by singular days if necessary to get the numbers right. The modern scoring software does this for the meet director; this is not something for parents to stress over.
I get the age groups are fluid. And if they are in the same/meet same session. Why would an older kid be in the younger age group? Other then a mistake or incorrect DOB info? o_O

There are always birthdate errors. However, you have to remember that now meet directors must use the USAG meet reservation system which sends us all of the data for each gymnast. If the birthdate is wrong at the meet, it is wrong in the USAG system and has been wrong all season. We can only work with the data that the big USAG system feeds to us.

There are always birthdate errors. However, you have to remember that now meet directors must use the USAG meet reservation system which sends us all of the data for each gymnast. If the birthdate is wrong at the meet, it is wrong in the USAG system and has been wrong all season. We can only work with the data that the big USAG system feeds to us.
Oh I get that. I wasn't implying it was the meet's mistake. But clearly the information in the system is wrong.

It is interesting to note how differently things are done today from just a couple of yeasrs ago. My guess is that most parents don't know what data goes where these days. It used to be that I would see meet entry sheets for a club and it would have birthdays, USAG numbers, etc all scribbled on a page that I would get a copy of a copy of. Sometimes impossible to read. Now, I just click one button in ProScore and it pulls all of the data in from the USAG system and I am sure then that it is "right" and that both athletes and coaches meet the USAG conditions to participate.

My how times have changed.

Yes, I'm referring to award categories. I'm not stressed about it at all, just curious. We both just thought it was strange that her daughter is older than mine yet she was in Child A and mine was in Child B. I could completely understand the other way around since mine is a few days younger but it was reversed. Everyone here always has good knowledge so I thought perhaps I could satisfy my curiosity.

I have been to a meet where they essentially transposed the names of the age groups, so Child F was the youngest...Child A the oldest. Just another possibility.

wandrewsjr beat me to that answer. A meet director has complete control over what they call the award groups and they could have started at the other end of the age spectrum. Maybe one day I will call them something really off-the-wall, hmmmmm ......

My dd's birthday was wrong with USAG the first year she competed due to the first number of her birthday being put in as a 0 instead of a 2 for the day of the month. We didn't know until the last invitational of the season when the cut off happened to be similar to above situation and realized they must have had her birthday wrong.

wandrewsjr beat me to that answer. A meet director has complete control over what they call the award groups and they could have started at the other end of the age spectrum. Maybe one day I will call them something really off-the-wall, hmmmmm ......
Don't they have to publish the date range of the groups for states.

Our state does.............

Don't they have to publish the date range of the groups for states.

Our state does.............

Our state does not post date ranges, but the roster with DOB and USAG# for each meet usually goes to head coach or whoever is responsible for meet entries, so it is up to individual gyms to check the data.

Are you in Illinois? In the meeting minutes for IL USAG, they voted this fall to randomly assign gymnasts to A, B, C, etc divisions with an age group at the state meet. So, for example, if your daughter's birthday falls in the Child age group, they will randomly assign all that fall into Child into one of the Child A, Child B, Child C, etc age groups. See below:

upload_2018-3-20_10-36-34.png

Are you in Illinois? In the meeting minutes for IL USAG, they voted this fall to randomly assign gymnasts to A, B, C, etc divisions with an age group at the state meet. So, for example, if your daughter's birthday falls in the Child age group, they will randomly assign all that fall into Child into one of the Child A, Child B, Child C, etc age groups. See below:

View attachment 7161
I prefer a little more transparency.

View attachment 7161

The age groups for the 4/5 state meet ( that just passed) in Illinois don’t appear to be randomly assigned, it was all by birthdate? Is this for next season?

Attachments

• 93F6BAFC-A9D8-41E6-92C6-8CB63E1EA33F.png
    93F6BAFC-A9D8-41E6-92C6-8CB63E1EA33F.png
    667.1 KB · Views: 42

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back