Age eligibility for the Aspire program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Corlena Patterson

Proud Parent
Quick question for those of you familiar with the Aspire program. I understand they've changed age eligibility from Dec 31 of competitive year to Jan 1 of the year in which the competition is held. But when I reference the new program manual (January, 2016), the description of age eligibility doesn't match the chart identifying eligible athletes for each competitive year. Is the text correct with Aspire 1 still 8-10 and Aspire 2 10-11? Or is the chart correct and Aspire 1 is 9-11 and Aspire 2 10-11? In either case, the eligible birth year for each competitive year isn't correct. Does anyone have the inside scoop? Thank you for your help!

I know this year we had girls in Aspire 1 who are turning 11 this year and also we had 9 years old as well.

AGE ELIGIBILITY
Age of the athlete is based on their age as of December 31 in the year in which they are competing as per FIG.
The following chart will identify eligible athletes for the years 2015/2016 Aspire One (8-10) 2008, 2007, 2006
2016/2017
2015/2016 Aspire Two (10-11) 2006, 2005
2016/2017
Hope that helps

Yes I do agree it's a mistake and unfair. I saw a couple of 2005 Aspire 1's competing in the 2015-16 season according to the chart, which is wrong.

This is what is on the Gymnastics Canada website as of today. It does look like Aspire 1 girls can be turning 11 year old in the year they compete. So for example, at Ontario Championships this year a girl born in 2005 (turning 11 this year) would have been eligible to compete Aspire 1. The chart seems correct :)

Aspire_Age_Eligibility.jpg

Thanks @gymmomx2 . This is the chart I was referring to originally, which differs from the previous scheme. Unfortunately this chart doesn't jive with the text in the new program manual. I was trying to figure which is correct. IYO, is the chart the correct version? The chart itself has some inconsistencies...if an 11 year old can compete in Aspire Two, then a 2008 should be able to compete in 2018/19, shouldn't they?

we were told by our coaches that the age requirement is changing for all levels next year - age is as of January 1st of the following year so all our DDs will compete one year older. documents/website has not been updated yet.

Thanks @gymmomx2 . This is the chart I was referring to originally, which differs from the previous scheme. Unfortunately this chart doesn't jive with the text in the new program manual. I was trying to figure which is correct. IYO, is the chart the correct version? The chart itself has some inconsistencies...if an 11 year old can compete in Aspire Two, then a 2008 should be able to compete in 2018/19, shouldn't they?
What do you mean by scheme?

We were told that too. But the national stream is not changing. It all depends on what they consider Aspire. Its not national but its not provincial.

we were told by our coaches that the age requirement is changing for all levels next year - age is as of January 1st of the following year so all our DDs will compete one year older. documents/website has not been updated yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back