Parents Age groups at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My pet peeve are the awards ceremonies that take FOREVER to start. We had one where awards started a full hour after the last competitor finished. The gym kept announcing that they were working on scores and to be patient. I was so tempted to go ask them if they needed help. It was ridiculous! And to top that, it was the ONLY meet of the year where they gave awards for every event. Our state doesn't even do that for compulsories at the state meet. Finally, 2 1/2 hours after the last competitor ended, we were done with awards. And of course it was a Sunday night with a 2 1/2 hour drive home. I wanted to pull my hair out!

At our competitions they give 1st-6th on every apparatus, and either 1st-3rd or 1st-6th All Around and that is all. They don’t split them into age groups, that is 1st-6th out of everyone. Some meets do split it, it there will only be two age groups per level, that is all. So that can be out of 100 or more girls.

Bigger meets like regionals and states (regionals is before states, you have to qualify at regionals to attend states), they will have so many in the division, that several sessions will take place, them all the girls from those sessions will come back after they are finished to do 1 awards ceremony combined, where they will still only give 1st-6th place.

If an event is small and has less than 10 competitors in a division, they will only give 1st-3rd.

Even the kids hate awards ceremonies. Long awards ceremonies do encourage candy sales at the concession, though.
Not from me, I get cranky, contrary and refuse to spend an extra nickel :p

My pet peeve are the awards ceremonies that take FOREVER to start. We had one where awards started a full hour after the last competitor finished. The gym kept announcing that they were working on scores and to be patient. I was so tempted to go ask them if they needed help. It was ridiculous! And to top that, it was the ONLY meet of the year where they gave awards for every event. Our state doesn't even do that for compulsories at the state meet. Finally, 2 1/2 hours after the last competitor ended, we were done with awards. And of course it was a Sunday night with a 2 1/2 hour drive home. I wanted to pull my hair out!

There have definitely been times I have wanted to assist them to speed things along. Pretty sure I could add faster by whipping out a pencil and paper. :p

Reactions: SMH
I think all the meets we've been to have had electronic scoring, so we've never had to wait for anyone to actually add. Typically awards start the second the last team makes it into the room. Some people just take FOREVER to announce though. Sometimes there seem like 100 age groups. (Which you might not think takes longer because it's always 50+1 and 100% AA that get awards, but it does, because of the time to announce event and age group and salute for a minute so people can get pictures, etc.)

I have been to two events where a gymnast was left out and they had to re-calculate for 20 minutes and then completely re do awards.

I have been to one where a whole gym was getting their mobility score and had been really up front about it, but at the awards they started, "realized" that that was what happened, stopped awards, spent a freaking HOUR putting that team in their own "age group" and then redoing awards. (They were pretty awful to that team about it too.) There were only three teams, them, us (big team) and another (tiny team). So we ended up competing against ourselves (which happens ALL THE TIME with a big team) and they screwed up the new age groups too. They should have just left it. The score out team was competing routines 1-3 levels above ours, with the resulting deductions so the awards really were shaking out fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back