Age Groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Just curious as to how the age groupings work for the men. I see 17,18 year olds competing in the 15-16 year old age group, and 17-18 yo competing in the 17-18 year age group. And 14 year olds, but I assumed they were turning 15 soon.

How do the age groups work here?

My understanding: all the junior men (18 and under) compete at the same time and might be in mixed rotations, however awards are given in two age groups (15-16 and 17-18). Ages are based on their year of birth, so gymnast in the 15 and 16 age group will be turning 15 or 16 this year (and therefore could still be 14 if there birthday is between August and December) and men in the 17 and 18 age group will turn those ages this year.

That was my understanding too, but in looking at the bios (which could be wrong) there are 2 in the 15-16 age group that are 17 turning 18. That is why I am confused ;)

I have figured it out and it is one of those lucky rules for some.
If you were 16 as of Sept 1 last year, and your Bday was 9/2, you can compete in this meet as a 16 yar old, even though you are 2 weeks from being 18. Seems harsh, but that is the rule. Lucky fall birthdays.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back