Parents Age requirement for level 4 - confused

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm just curious how you explain 6 year-olds competing as 4s? Are those meets unsanctioned? Do the gyms lie about their date of birth (which I would think to be difficult bc isn't it associated with the usag number?

Reactions: SMH
FWIW, I just checked the age groups at the NC state meet last year (December 2016) and the youngest age group range for level 4 was 8/6/2008-9/18/2009, which would made the youngest competitor 7 years and 2 1/2 months old at the state meet. The season starts around mid September, so that age would make sense and it seems like they are following the rules in NC.

FWIW, I just checked the age groups at the NC state meet last year (December 2016) and the youngest age group range for level 4 was 8/6/2008-9/18/2009, which would made the youngest competitor 7 years and 2 1/2 months old at the state meet. The season starts around mid September, so that age would make sense and it seems like they are following the rules in NC.

I think state meets here leave the youngest and oldest group open ended..
So you wouldn't be able to determine e an exact aget for the oldest or youngest competitors.

I think state meets here leave the youngest and oldest group open ended..
So you wouldn't be able to determine e an exact aget for the oldest or youngest competitors.
They don't actually. The new software does all that. Someone somewhere knows the oldest and youngest competitor.

They don't actually. The new software does all that. Someone somewhere knows the oldest and youngest competitor.
I'm confused...they don't leave them open ended or they don't show the exact dates? Lol. I'm pretty sure a parent seeing it wouldn't have been able to figure it out, but yes I'm also sure that someone knows the age!

So I'm just curious how you explain 6 year-olds competing as 4s? Are those meets unsanctioned? Do the gyms lie about their date of birth (which I would think to be difficult bc isn't it associated with the usag number?
The meets could be unsanctioned. OR the 6 year olds could be doing an "exhibition" at a meet. Or they could be competing AAU (I *think* their age determination is more generous). OR the coach "accidentally" gave the meet director the wrong birthdate and the meet director didn't verify that birthdate against the corresponding USAG number's birthdate. Smaller Invitationals may not go thru the USAG Meet Registration system and it could easily be missed if that is the case.

Mistakes do happen. My son was in the completely wrong age group at a huge national invitational this year. I thought i was goign to have to get his birth certificate, but they figured it out.

Mistakes do happen. My son was in the completely wrong age group at a huge national invitational this year. I thought i was goign to have to get his birth certificate, but they figured it out.
We had a 6 year old at one of our home meets… Level 3, her first meet ever… Her coach had a typo on her birthdate, putting her in the 12 and over age group instead of the 6-8 age group (really small meet). It wasn't caught until awards … and Mom didn't say anything until AFTER awards were finished.
When we were alerted, the birthdate error was corrected… and we traded out her ribbons (but only the ones that went up).

I did find a YouTube video of a 6 year old level 4, from 2014 I think...I won't post the link, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

I actually take it back about t&t- I was wrong. Apparently there is actually an official 6 and under age group even.

Reactions: sce
The girl that scored out of 7 and 8 and competed 9?
If it is the one I am thinking of, she did at least 2 meets of Level 7 at 8 years old and then at least 2 (but maybe 3) meets at Level 8 that same winter season (2016). Then she spent Winter 2017 at Level 9. Not all of her meets are on mymeetscores.
This was after a gym change... and spending Fall of 2014 at Level 5 (4 meets) and Winter 2015 at Level 6 (7 meets) at her old gym.

It

It depends on the meet. They can be younger than 7

No they can't. NO EXCEPTIONS.

The quoted text from the R&P does not apply to this. It is taken out of context and is about how age divisions are divided and not the minimum ages. The minimum ages are as stated in the section about minimum ages. In order for a meet and gym to comply with USA Gymnastics regulations, they must adhere to the rules. A child must have reached her 7th birthday prior to competing in any USA Gymnastucs sanctioned level 4 competition in any state.

Has it happened that a 6 year old has competed? Yes, I believe it has actually. But that was a violation of the very clearly stated rules. And USA Gymnastics is cracking down now on R&P so good luck to the gyms that can't understand basic info or choose not to comply for their convenience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back