WAG 'Aggressive' Ideas for Shoulder Flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD has amazing progress with her gymnastics. Honestly going way further than I ever expected (she'll be a L8 this season). She's as strong as all get out and has good split flexibility. However, if you saw her bridge you probably wouldn't think she did gymnastics (especially at her current level). She made some incredible progress with skills over the summer on bars, floor, & bars. She knows shoulder flexiblity will affect future progress - especially on beam. No fears -will be competing BHS-BHS this season -but it's not near as consistent as it needs to be. She also realizes that the shoulder flexibility will hold her back (probably not from L9 - likely will at L10). She has asked me how she can more aggressively address shoulder flexibility.

There are lots of threads on here about stretches, but she's 12 so I'm sure increasing flexibility will be much more difficult than for a 6 year old. What other options are best? Can a sports therapist or massage help? Any techniques besides traditional stretching work? Yoga (I looked at yoga classes - could believe how many kinds there are so don't even know where to start there)? Are bridges best? If yes, should the bridge be held or just repeated with a hard push? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

see your coach. the shoulder has an A/C joint and a labrum. the "stretches" must be appropriate or bad things can happen in those 2 areas. :)

My DD is the same, if you saw her bridge you wouldn't think she was a gymnast either! My DD has struggled with flexibility in general and aggressive approaches to stretching have never worked for her (in fact a coach pulled her hamstring by stretching her too hard).

What has helped her is seeing a St. John neuromuscular therapist who has shown us some other approaches to flexibility. Sometimes bridge can be restricted by other muscles, such as the pecs and abdominals. Massage can be very helpful. Our NMT also uses some quite specific stretching methods that are very gentle (I don't know what they are called, sorry). DD's flexibility has improved a lot, especially her pike. Her shoulder flexibility has improved but still has a long way to go, she needs to keep working at it. She has a big list of stretches to do every day like homework!

Ouch, do not aggressivly stretch anything :eek:

Yes, bridges with nice straight legs, if you want to put more pressure on the shoulders have the legs on something elevated, I also do SLIGHT rocking movements. But as your daughter is a Level 8 I suppose she's been doing this for years.
Unfortunatly like the size of our nose and the length of our legs, shoulder flexibilty is something that we are born with and that we only seem to be able to increase to a certain extent. That extent varies from person to person but -as harsh as it might sound- it might be that your daughter has already reached that point.

Out of couriosity, I'm not too familiar with the USAG system, but from what I've seen as a Level 8 your daughter has to be able to do walkovers.
Now I've seen girls with really bad shoulder flexibility learn back handsprings but none of them ever accomplished a clean walkover. How does your daughter handle that?

I would honestly look into a type of physical therapy for sport performance that is becoming more common. I don't remember your area but if you PM me I know of a place in the HR area that a former coworker works at.

The reason I suggest this route is because of the issues Dunno mentions. After this many years of gymnastics if she can't force her shoulders over her hands in a bridge this needs to be handled carefully because of the possibility for damage, might be a structural issue like a lack of cartilage in the joints or something. There are also exercises that a PT trained provider could do to address muscular imbalances that overuse of one area sometimes creates in gymnastics.

Ouch, do not aggressivly stretch anything :eek:

I'll ask the coaches as well, but I'm thinking they'll suggest bridges. Nothing wrong with that except part of the problem is she won't do them on her own (because they feel uncomfortable) and I'm not going to tell her to do them (I don't know enough). However, I'll take her to a PT or to a yoga or dance class. When I put aggressive in quotes, I was looking for possible suggestions of something more than just doing bridges but am not sure where to start.

I personally think her muscles are a hindrance to her flexibility. I know a body has limits, but I'm hopeful she can get a little bit more flexibility out of her shoulders. She doesn't have real intense hours in the gym and she won't stretch much at home.

Redford - she competes BWOs and FWOs on beam. Not the prettiest form you've ever seen, but she never fell on a BWO when she was in L6 a couple years ago. Form is a challenge.

Gymdog - I'll send you a pm. Thanks!

She should not over do bridges. If her shoulders aren't flexible, it will put pressure on her back in a way that could cause injury to the spine. In fact if you see a "V" shape with her lower back when in a bridge, she should avoid them and focus on stretches that isolate her shoulders and then "seal" stretches.

She may also have a problem with the hip flexors.

Just a note on yoga classes. I took iyengar classes for years and it is a wonderful practice. I have also taken vinyasa, ashtanga and Hatha classes over the years.

Iyengar is very focused on form, strength and flexibility. They are sticklers about correct body alignment and each position is held for a bit which really allows for deepening the pose and increasing flexibility. All poses are modified and supported based on the abilities and limitations of the student.

I think this might be a good match for her goals and would ensure a safe environment where her body would be protected from poor form and misalignment. It will also work at it from a full body perspective as well as targeted so if other things are contributing they will get help too.

I also agree that seeing a PT might be helpful. They could help identify what is causing the problem and come up with a very targeted plan. A PT plan and a lot of neuromuscular memory work helped my dd with some hyper mobility issues. The results were pretty amazing and long lasting.

Good luck!

Unless her lower back is extremely gumby, I would guess she has some shoulder flexibility in her bridges or handstand if she can do walkovers.

Massaging out tight muscles that effect shoulder flexibility may be a solution. Pecs, upper back, neck, thoracic spine, delts. Hello Mr lacrosse ball.

Stallbar cat stretch with feet on lower rails is a great shoulder stretch as well.

Cuban presses, wall slides, YWTL'S may have some benefit but if she will not put in theeffort herself you are probably better off just taking her to a soft tissue practitioner.

I say talk to your coach, a Pt or someone like that. D just came off a pretty bad shoulder injury, so I would be careful with anythng to do with the shoulder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back