Parents All splits required for bronze?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym started a small team this year. They weren’t highly competitive and only offer bronze. They had a pre-team, but don’t offer different levels of classes and all classes are drop in whenever so it’s not w same kids or grouped by ability.

They’ve informed parents that everyone needs to tryout to be on the team again.
We’ve been informed that the only requirement to tryout is the girls must have all three splits down to the floor. If the girls do not have all three splits all the way down they will not be considered regardless of skill level.

Is this a reasonable expectation? What does your team look for to make bronze?

Every gym will decide on their own requirements, depending on what they feel is important.

It is unusual to require 3 splits at that level. But they will decide what is important to them.

That does seem unusual to me, too. Both gyms my dd has gone to has a list of skills for moving to team or up a level. I don't think any involve testing splits on the floor but they would include split jumps/leaps as needed for the level.

Every gym can do what they want, but this does seem like an aggressive goal. My 8-year old is training Gold and this is the first time she's had the 3 split requirement. They spend a good amount of time at the end of every practice working on splits (looks like torture IMO!)

We’ve been informed that the only requirement to tryout is the girls must have all three splits down to the floor. If the girls do not have all three splits all the way down they will not be considered regardless of skill level.

Is this a reasonable expectation? What does your team look for to make bronze?
That seems an odd requirement. I don't know anything about xcel but many many many girls in the DP program at my daughter's gym lack at least one of the three full splits. While not a super gym, these are girls who make podium at states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back