Allergic to grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think im allergic to my grips because every time I wear them my fingers get really itchy and dry..I've tried taping them, but I cant bend my fingers when I do, which is bad (duh)...does anyone have any suggestions?

I had this happen to a teammate, sorta her fingers would swell up when she used her grips, except it turned out that she was actually allergic to the chalk....

so that could be the case, maybe you are allergic to the chalk, even if you use it for other events you use more on bars, and its just everywhere.

Sounds like chafting are you hand well moisterized. They should'nt be slippery but don't have dry hands use a little lotion before putting on grips. Hope that helps. Another thing is do they fit if they are too small they will make your finger swell and if there to big they will tickle you hands and make them itch. Maybe you can try hypoallergenic gymnastic grips perhaps they are available online. Sorry I could not be of more help.:(

I agree with Kendahl.
It sounds like chaffing and maybe you're allergic to the chalk or the leather of the grips.Maybe see a dermatologist to test if you are allergic to the leather or the chalk. Perhaps the finger holes of your grips are too small.

If it is jut dehydration of your skin then try moisturiser. I have a great cream that i find very useful with rips as well as cuts,abbrasions and chaffing. It's called Lucus PawPaw Ointment. every gymnast should get this stuff coz its GREAT!

I agree with Kendahl.
It sounds like chaffing and maybe you're allergic to the chalk or the leather of the grips.Maybe see a dermatologist to test if you are allergic to the leather or the chalk. Perhaps the finger holes of your grips are too small.

If it is jut dehydration of your skin then try moisturiser. I have a great cream that i find very useful with rips as well as cuts,abbrasions and chaffing. It's called Lucus PawPaw Ointment. every gymnast should get this stuff coz its GREAT!

Lucus pawpaw ointment I will have to get some.
On my hands I use a mix of my own to treat the winter blues I got if off of Pioneer Thinking.
½ cup distilled water
* ½ cup olive oil
* 1 TBS lecithin
* 6-8 drops of geranium oil
* 2-4 drops Myrrh oil
* 400 IU Vitamin E oil (1-2 open capsules
Its really good and its organic!

Oh and do you know when you get rips and they dry up and then crack open I use this stuff called Jims Crack Cream. I'ts a lip balm it may sound like a joke but this stuff is the real deal. LOL

Last edited:
Lucus pawpaw ointment I will have to get some.
On my hands I use a mix of my own to treat the winter blues I got if off of Pioneer Thinking.
½ cup distilled water
* ½ cup olive oil
* 1 TBS lecithin
* 6-8 drops of geranium oil
* 2-4 drops Myrrh oil
* 400 IU Vitamin E oil (1-2 open capsules
Its really good and its organic!

Oh and do you know when you get rips and they dry up and then crack open I use this stuff called Jims Crack Cream. I'ts a lip balm it may sound like a joke but this stuff is the real deal. LOL
lol and its not a joke

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back