Allergic to tape

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, I am starting to get back into gymnastics after retiring from competition at the end of 2013. I have had a multitude of injuries since quitting (torn ligaments in elbow, displaced tailbone, compression injury of some kind in my wrist the list goes on). My elbow has take a mild turn for the worse so I have started taping it again. Trouble is I am allergic to tape - I even get a reaction to the hypoallergenic tape. I literally tape it when I start the class and take it off while stretching down and i'm left with purple/pink dots on my skin. It is not a serious reaction but it would be ideal for this not to be a problem.

I have used KT tape for other injuries and have not reacted to it but I don't think that it would be suitable for this injury as I am taping my elbow for hyperextension so two anchors (1 on for arm, 1 on upper arm) then a cross over the elbow while slightly bent to prevent hyperextension.

I am at a loss as to what to do as my elbow can't cope without the tape at the moment and my skin can't cope with the tape. Does anyone, coach, gymnast or parent have any experience in what I could do.

Please don't tell me that I need to seek medical attention etc because I already have - this is an old injury flaring up and I am seeing if taping it and giving it some extra support will help before I go back to the physio.

P&F is allergic to life it seems and we cannot use plasters but like you she an wear KT tape.

She is also hypermobile and I have found that the tape really helps and gives great support.

What I do (after consultation with the physio) is tape her as per instructions. Either if its a new injury a visit or if its a re-occurrence, using instructions from the physio or on line tutorial (you tube has many).

like below

I am similar, not what I'd call allergic in the true sense, but definitely sensitive to plasters/tape.

In my case I think it's the adhesive, rather than the tape.

Could you go old school and bandage? Or find an elasticated support/tubigrip?

I would recommend getting Maalox. Yes that's right, Maalox on your skin, apply to the area you are taping. Let it dry and then apply Kinesiotaping over the top of it. It creates a protective barrier on the skin. This is what I do before I Kinesiotape my patients.

Maybe you could use the KT tape like the white under tape and then a layer of regular strapping tape over the top.

Sorry I am unfamiliar with pre wrap, I have the hyper allergenic tape which causes the same reaction is that what you're talking about or is this something different?

I agree with the pre wrap, it will protect your skin from the tape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back