Parents Allergies and chalk dust??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
oldest dd will be having allergy tests done in 1 month at home she is coughing consistantly (thinking dust mite allergy)
at he gym she does cough a good amount but nothing too concerning
What do you allthink about the chalk dust in gyms I think the girls only really use the chalk on the bars so im sure that helps keep it down in the gym

is there ways to help keep it better for her? without needing to say anything to the gym (Is there things that she can do to help that part)

Dd2 is severely allergic to most everything in the environment. If it's green, has fur, or collects dust, dd2 is a 4++ on the allergy scale. She also has asthma. We've had to take steps to control the dust mites in her environment (we've got almost no carpet, no fabric window coverings, pillow and mattress protectors, etc.).

Chaulk dust is an irritant (and so can cause symptoms like coughing, especially in an asthmatic), but is rarely something people are actually allergic to. You might even have to ask specificially that it be including on the testing panel as it's not standard. Also ask about the relationship between dust mites and chaulk dust. What we understood is that dust mites don't really live on dust, but on the "leavings" in the dust like skin cells, etc. Chaulk dust from the chaulk bucket is actually pretty free of them.

So, what could the gym do? Other than keep the place vacuumed, very little.

Good luck at the allergist (and that reminds me, dd2 needs to make her 6 month appointment--it's always something).

TThere was a longish thread a while back about this. I'll put it here so you can read what was discussed.

Good luck, I feel for you.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/2722-chalk-dust-asthma.html

Thank you I thought there was a thread on this but I honeslty did not see it!! thanks a ton

I still do not have any idea about her allergies as it is a month a way I am just trying to be proactive now figuring the sooner I take action the faster it will help her if it is plus It cannot hurt the rest of the family as well and since we have a new baby coming soon I think it will only help her as well

A few of the things that we did for ours that helped. Firstly we had them allergy tested, Both DD's are allergic to dogs! We have a shih-tzu ie no fur.

We bought allergy covers for all their pillows and mattresses, they sell them at walmart, basically stops the dust from getting from the bed into the kid. We took out rugs and fabric curtains, washed down the blinds, tops of cupboards and baseboards as that is wear dust likes to live. We have hardwood floors so that really made it easier, carpets are not the best for kids with these kinds of coughs.

Also bought new mattresses, 10 is old for a mattress by the way!:eek:

The hardest was taking all the teddy bears etc out of their rooms, they got to keep one each, the rest went into bags in the basement. The one that stayed get washed a lot. Teddies sadly hold a lot of dust.

A vacuum with a HEPA filter is very good, I vacuum their beds and the furniture in the house to rid the dust.

Last but not least we put an air exchanger in the house, you can google them, they are mandatory here in Canada in new build homes, but are not required retroactively. It has made a huge difference.

In the gym the coach does not let the kids mess with the chalk, she is asthmatic too so keep the chalk area very clean.

The girls both went on a drug called singulair, a daily pill, and took pulmicort when they were acute. Now they rarely have coughs except when they get a cold. My house used to sound like the seal pen at the zoo, now it's all quiet at night. Amazing the difference a year can make.

Hope things get better for you, not nice to hear a child coughing a lot.

A few of the things that we did for ours that helped. Firstly we had them allergy tested, Both DD's are allergic to dogs! We have a shih-tzu ie no fur.

We bought allergy covers for all their pillows and mattresses, they sell them at walmart, basically stops the dust from getting from the bed into the kid. We took out rugs and fabric curtains, washed down the blinds, tops of cupboards and baseboards as that is wear dust likes to live. We have hardwood floors so that really made it easier, carpets are not the best for kids with these kinds of coughs.

Also bought new mattresses, 10 is old for a mattress by the way!:eek:

The hardest was taking all the teddy bears etc out of their rooms, they got to keep one each, the rest went into bags in the basement. The one that stayed get washed a lot. Teddies sadly hold a lot of dust.

A vacuum with a HEPA filter is very good, I vacuum their beds and the furniture in the house to rid the dust.

Last but not least we put an air exchanger in the house, you can google them, they are mandatory here in Canada in new build homes, but are not required retroactively. It has made a huge difference.

In the gym the coach does not let the kids mess with the chalk, she is asthmatic too so keep the chalk area very clean.

The girls both went on a drug called singulair, a daily pill, and took pulmicort when they were acute. Now they rarely have coughs except when they get a cold. My house used to sound like the seal pen at the zoo, now it's all quiet at night. Amazing the difference a year can make.

Hope things get better for you, not nice to hear a child coughing a lot.

thanks! (DD sounds like a seal as well even the dr made that comment)
youngest dd was just taken off of singulair I try hard to not have them on meds as much (tho I will put them if needed). Thanks for the great tips! I am def cutting down on the stuffed animals and they can keep a few (there are some that they are special etc)

when you wash them how do you wash them? I dont want to ruin them either!!

oh yea I have the dyson animal vaccum we used to have a yellow lab and still have a cat ( I have had her for 16 years this week I will just have to be more proactive with the cat and make sure there door gets shut so the cat is not in there!! after I scrub it out! I am in the process of htat now!
being preggo I can only do so much at one time!! Im wiped!!LOL

Last edited:
I put the teddy in the leg of a pair of nylons and wash it on the hand wash/light cycle of the machine in cold water using woolite. After that I take them and let them air dry, brush them with a hair brush.

The to puff up their faces I whack them on the counter on the backs of their heads (teddies that is, not the kids!) Learned that trick from the teddy bear factory in Vermont.

How many weeks pregnant are you now? The girls must be very excited. Can't wait for our fist Chalkbucket Baby to arrive.

I put the teddy in the leg of a pair of nylons and wash it on the hand wash/light cycle of the machine in cold water using woolite. After that I take them and let them air dry, brush them with a hair brush.

The to puff up their faces I whack them on the counter on the backs of their heads (teddies that is, not the kids!) Learned that trick from the teddy bear factory in Vermont.

How many weeks pregnant are you now? The girls must be very excited. Can't wait for our fist Chalkbucket Baby to arrive.

I am 26 weeks. I am due sept 22 .
The girls are VERY excited. tonight they have a big sister class to help them understand what is going on. they are excited to go

Last edited:
I just re-read the previous thread and realized that I make a mistake! I meant to say that the pulmonologist does NOT limit DD's activities! The chalk doesn't seem to bother her, but I have taught her not to clap it around too much, and to wash her hands right after bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back