MAG Allotment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
The allotment process basically takes a percentage of athletes depending on the size of their state.....Some larger states will have a larger percentage of athletes and the smaller states will have fewer athletes.
They do this to predetermine the number of athletes going to regionals and to plan. So if 1000 is what is decided upon, then that number will be allocated per state.
The scores come into play at the state meet and then they take the top scores. So if your state has been given 72 spots for L8 athletes, then the top 72 go, with some alternates.
Some smaller states may only be allocated 15 spots.....

Anyone, pls correct me if I'm wrong, my info is several years old.

Sounds about right and it seems like this should have been done years ago. In the past, for our region at least, it was just a minimum score to qualify.......which was always a pretty low score and I don't think there were any local teams that did not send their full teams to regionals. Looking at our region's allotment for this year, it looks like it will only really effect the compulsory levels. There was a % posted on our allotment list and 100% of Level 10s signed up with be going, 92% of Level 9s, 96% of Level 8s. It's only going to shave off a couple from the bottom for optionals, but the region's compulsory %'s are much lower, taking an average of only 60% of those that were registered.......which is probably good as I feel bad for those that have to travel far for it and don't medal.

Yes. Typically they decide on a percentage, and they allot that many slots to the states. So your actually numbers will be based on how many kiddos are in your state at that level.

They do the same for nationals....(impatiently awaiting those numbers)

here, the percentage for each state is not only determind by the number of athletes in each state, but also their "pool of talent" so to speak. coaches have to report how many of their athletes hit two different benchmarks in the season ( i cant rememeber exactly what they are- but just throwing out like a 34 and a 36 for example) and that is also factored into the formula.

this way, a smaller state who may be packed with a ton of big talent gets to send a higher ratio than a larger state with lower scoring girls would.

does that make sense? i have a hard time putting it into words! maybe someone else can clarify even further.

here, the percentage for each state is not only determind by the number of athletes in each state, but also their "pool of talent" so to speak. coaches have to report how many of their athletes hit two different benchmarks in the season ( i cant rememeber exactly what they are- but just throwing out like a 34 and a 36 for example) and that is also factored into the formula.

this way, a smaller state who may be packed with a ton of big talent gets to send a higher ratio than a larger state with lower scoring girls would.

does that make sense? i have a hard time putting it into words! maybe someone else can clarify even further.

that would be great but the boys do not do it that way as far as I know....they might look at JO/JE. It will be interesting to see if they look differently at it in this new quad.

It's the same for both men and women.

Really? I didn't think they took into account anything but numbers for the boys. Do they look at the number of boys at a certain threshold (score) for each level?

Hmm. I've not heard of an allotment in region 7 for Regionals. I've only been around for 2 past years, and in both cases just about everyone at States made it to Regionals. The only ones who didn't were the very few who didn't hit the qualifying score. I HAVE heard of the allotment for Nationals.

Guess it's an english thing but i keep seeing the thread title and thinking of this...

Attachments

• IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 66
Hmm. I've not heard of an allotment in region 7 for Regionals. I've only been around for 2 past years, and in both cases just about everyone at States made it to Regionals. The only ones who didn't were the very few who didn't hit the qualifying score. I HAVE heard of the allotment for Nationals.

Yep, no allotments in R7. Just a qualifying score that is fairly low. For example, for DS, who is L6 D1, it's 47.

They use allotments in Region 6. Numbers came out last night for our state and are based on Level, Age and Division.

Reactions: sce
I checked a few regions and R3, R5, R2, R6, R8 all used the allotment system for Regionals..... and most of the L10s all go anyway.
This is a good thing since it means the mens program is growing so much they need limit athletes for Regionals. I personally would not want to imagine a boys meet, with 7 apparatus', with 1000 boys in L5! :eek:
For the girls, obviously the numbers have always been much higher than the boys.
I remember many years ago when our region used the allotment system for the first time and there was a lot of upset and confused parents...

I'm trying to locate the qualifying info/state allotment for Region 1. Can anyone please post a link? I'm not finding anything so far.

I'm trying to locate the qualifying info/state allotment for Region 1. Can anyone please post a link? I'm not finding anything so far.

Do you need the allotment for those who qualify to regionals? If it's to qualify to state that would be under the state info. I'm in Arizona and all our gymnasts go to state. But we just got the allotment for how many qualify to regionals. I can post that link since it's on the region 1 championship page.

@Jkacz have you seen it posted or can you share the numbers? Thanks!

Our coach passed along the numbers for New Hampshire for the groups where we have gymnasts. I don't have any other info and didn't see anything on the Region 6 website.

Level 10 (17-19)
Top 4 out of 4
Level 10 (15-16)
Top 5 out of 8
Level 8 (13-14)
Top 2 out of 2
Level 7-D1 (10-11)
Top 3 out of 7
Level 7-D2 (12+)
Top 1 out of 1
Level 6-D1 (12+)
Top 2 out of 6