MAG Allotment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Sounds about right and it seems like this should have been done years ago. In the past, for our region at least, it was just a minimum score to qualify.......which was always a pretty low score and I don't think there were any local teams that did not send their full teams to regionals. Looking at our region's allotment for this year, it looks like it will only really effect the compulsory levels. There was a % posted on our allotment list and 100% of Level 10s signed up with be going, 92% of Level 9s, 96% of Level 8s. It's only going to shave off a couple from the bottom for optionals, but the region's compulsory %'s are much lower, taking an average of only 60% of those that were registered.......which is probably good as I feel bad for those that have to travel far for it and don't medal.
I was just about to post about this. lol! What region are you in? We are in region 3 and it's the first time they've done an allotment. I looked at the list of gyms, kids, levels going to state then I looked back at the allotments and it looks like 100% or close to 100% of the level 7s in Texas will make regionals. It's very interesting to me......

For a region 3, levels 7&8 have always been a percentage advancing. If you look at the attached chart, it is 46% that advance for level 7 plus a few additional athletes at large. If they allowed all the athletes that qualified based on a score, the meet would last a week!

http://www.reg3.com/2017/2017 L7 & L8 Regional Advancement Chart.pdf

Only Levels 9&10 advance to Regionals based on a score, but Regionals is not the culminating event for those levels.

For a region 3, levels 7&8 have always been a percentage advancing. If you look at the attached chart, it is 46% that advance for level 7 plus a few additional athletes at large. If they allowed all the athletes that qualified based on a score, the meet would last a week!

Only Levels 9&10 advance to Regionals based on a score, but Regionals is not the culminating event for those levels.

This is for girls.......

Actually, this is the first time Region 3 has done an allotment. In the past it was always scores. My son is a 3rd year level 7 and he made regionals his first year by the skin of his teeth- he got the exact qualifying score. The next year they lowered the qualifying score and all but 3 kids made it to regionals.

It's the same for both men and women.

I think that it varies not just girls to boys; but also by region. I know that in R8 they have a certain number of boys at each level in each state that qualify (it is a %, so states with more boys have more boys qualify). For Xcel in R8 it is a minimum AA score. For optionals girls L6-L8 it is a % (lower % at level 6 than at level 8). For L9 and L10 it is a minimum score I think. I have never heard of our region taking into consideration the scores that different girls have been getting before state.

It's crazy how many gymnasts the state of Texas has in region 3....The allotment for regionals from Texas for level 6-10 and JD is 513 gymnasts....the other 5 states added together in our region have an allotment of 266 gymnasts. In most of the divisions Arkansas has an allotment of "0"....I guess there don't have many gymnastics programs in that state.

It's crazy how many gymnasts the state of Texas has in region 3....The allotment for regionals from Texas for level 6-10 and JD is 513 gymnasts....the other 5 states added together in our region have an allotment of 266 gymnasts. In most of the divisions Arkansas has an allotment of "0"....I guess there don't have many gymnastics programs in that state.

You got me wondering- comparing this to California allotment, I had to subtract out the level five gymnasts. The total for California is 627 for 6-10 + JD. While the other states in the region are 220. I believe California is the only state that divides the state into North and South for MAG states. But this is comparing only allotments, regions very on how they determine how many go from different levels. But it is interesting to compare. I know with WAG at least for compulsory levels they break up the state even more so they have a north northern California and a South Northern California. I'm assuming they do this to make the state meets more manageable.

I think that it varies not just girls to boys; but also by region. I know that in R8 they have a certain number of boys at each level in each state that qualify (it is a %, so states with more boys have more boys qualify). For Xcel in R8 it is a minimum AA score. For optionals girls L6-L8 it is a % (lower % at level 6 than at level 8). For L9 and L10 it is a minimum score I think. I have never heard of our region taking into consideration the scores that different girls have been getting before state.

Regino 8 does do it that way. I haven't looked into Level 6, but here's some info on 7 and 8 for sure. In my earlier reply about JO Women in Region 8, I thought both Level and 8 had two benchmark scores throughout the season that they used, but Level 7 actually only has one. Level 8 has two (32.00AA and 34.00AA).

Here's how they do Level 7 in Region 8:
The number of gymnasts at Level 7 Regionals is XXX + all ties. The
number of team members is 64 (8 per state with 4 scores counting for
team). Each state turns in to RACC the number of Level 7 athletes in
their state with a 32.00 AA by the designated deadline. A percentage
for each state is figured for the XXX All State places.

And here's how they do Level 8:
The number of gymnasts at Level 8 Regionals is XXX + all ties. The
number of team members is 64 (8 per state with 4 scores counting for
team). Each state turns into RACC the number of Level 8 athletes in
their state with 32.00 AA and with 34.00 AA by the designated deadline.
A percentage for each state is figured for the places for the 32.00 AA number,
and a separate percentage is figured for the additional athletes at a 34.00 AA.

I'm very grateful they do it that way. We're in a strong state with a lot of talented girls. It seems only fair that states packed more densely with talent would get to send a higher percentage than those who are not. Although- those threshold scores are pretty low so I don't know that it makes a huge difference really.

I just meant the allotment process is the same- the numbers and outcomes are very different......L7 for girls is very competitive where for boys you get the largest # at L5.....plus, girls only start regionals at L6 and for the men, they have been lowering the level and now it includes L4....

I just meant the allotment process is the same- the numbers and outcomes are very different......L7 for girls is very competitive where for boys you get the largest # at L5.....plus, girls only start regionals at L6 and for the men, they have been lowering the level and now it includes L4....
In our region the boys can't go to regionals until level 6...They don't even go to state until level 6...levels 4 and 5 have separate state meets: North state and south state. I heard that the reason they did an allotment for our region this year is because the level 6s and 15 year old level 10 are so big, and the venue is small, they had to limit the number of gymnasts going.

I was surprised by this. I haven't run the numbers, so this is speculative, but given the changes in L8 that have certainly shrunk the level in our region, it looks like a higher percentage of L8s will make it to nationals than in the past but the percentages of L9s and L10s are pretty similar to previous years. I thought that they might leave the L8s at about the same percent and bump up the numbers a bit for the 10s, who would certainly benefit more from the exposure. Happy to be corrected on this if someone with firmer numbers has a sense of it.

I'm not too familiar on how it was last year, but I know our regional allotment went from 31 last year to 40 this year for our 8s. But maybe it has to do with the 11 yr old JE kids being included in that allotment of 40? This is my son's first year of possible Nationals, so I didn't pay much attention to it last year, so maybe 10/11 year old JEs did count towards it last year, not sure.

I'm not too familiar on how it was last year, but I know our regional allotment went from 31 last year to 40 this year for our 8s. But maybe it has to do with the 11 yr old JE kids being included in that allotment of 40? This is my son's first year of possible Nationals, so I didn't pay much attention to it last year, so maybe 10/11 year old JEs did count towards it last year, not sure.

10/11 yo did count in the past. Not sure what they did to get these numbers this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back