WAG Alpha factor leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym*mom

Proud Parent
My daughter was just measured for her competition leotard and I was told she measured as a child intermediate. I have never ordered Leo's through alpha factor before and I'm a little concerned because she usually wears an adult xs in gk. Is it possible to have that much of a difference between the sizes?

I've found Alpha Factor & GK sizing to be pretty similar. It's pretty normal for a competition leo to be a size or so smaller than what a kid finds comfortable to wear at practice depending on what kind of fit the head coach prefers, sometimes a few sizes smaller. An Intermediate is between a CS & CM so that seems like a pretty big difference. Did they measure her? Or have her try on a sample leo?
Competition leos are a big expense, so I would considering asking a few questions before ordering. This past season the HC at the gym I was at measured all the kids for leos/warm-ups by having them try on Alpha Factor samples and ordered without clearing with parents, quite a few kids received items that were far too small, so it's not a fool proof process.

I've found Alpha Factor & GK sizing to be pretty similar. It's pretty normal for a competition leo to be a size or so smaller than what a kid finds comfortable to wear at practice depending on what kind of fit the head coach prefers, sometimes a few sizes smaller. An Intermediate is between a CS & CM so that seems like a pretty big difference. Did they measure her? Or have her try on a sample leo?
Competition leos are a big expense, so I would considering asking a few questions before ordering. This past season the HC at the gym I was at measured all the kids for leos/warm-ups by having them try on Alpha Factor samples and ordered without clearing with parents, quite a few kids received items that were far too small, so it's not a fool proof process.

They only measured her. All her measurements were within the intermediate size except for the length of her torso, that fell under child medium.

They only measured her. All her measurements were within the intermediate size except for the length of her torso, that fell under child medium.
If it’s a leo they wear for 2 years, I’d order up, but that’s just me. (I’ve sized gymnasts for years. If it’s a 1-year fit, it should be almost like a second skin, but if it’s a 2-year fit, you need some growing room). Torso length would concern me, because if it’s too short, wedgies and front wedgies, as well as going too high on the hip, are valid concerns. Plus, she will be uncomfortable the entire season. Armpit fit is another concern. If the torso is too short, it will pull at the armpit area, causing it to rip or hindering her ability to stretch up completely. I feel like torso length is probably the most important thing to fit well, because long sleeves are always too long and can be pulled up, girth (around the middle) will be snug any way, but torso length is where growth mostly occurs.

If it’s a leo they wear for 2 years, I’d order up, but that’s just me. (I’ve sized gymnasts for years. If it’s a 1-year fit, it should be almost like a second skin, but if it’s a 2-year fit, you need some growing room). Torso length would concern me, because if it’s too short, wedgies and front wedgies, as well as going too high on the hip, are valid concerns. Plus, she will be uncomfortable the entire season. Armpit fit is another concern. If the torso is too short, it will pull at the armpit area, causing it to rip or hindering her ability to stretch up completely. I feel like torso length is probably the most important thing to fit well, because long sleeves are always too long and can be pulled up, girth (around the middle) will be snug any way, but torso length is where growth mostly occurs.

Thank you! I think I'm gonna have them order her a size up, especially since we need it for two years.

I might ask the gym to re-measure, or measure her yourself at home if the sizing charts are available. My DD has not worn a Child Intermediate in Alpha Factor (practice tank leo) since she was like 5/6 years old! It seems like a huge difference between that and an AXS in GK. As @coachmolly said, the Child Intermediate is smaller than CM.....

As you can see, a SLEEK FIT in GK (which your DD would probably be a CL, assuming her practice leotards have growing room) aligns with Alpha Factor CME or CLA in bust ... CME to CLA in waist ... CLA in hip ... and CLA in girth / torso.
The Alpha Factor INT corresponds with GK's CS to CM in bust ... CM in waist ... CS in hips ... and CS in girth / torso! You say that her torso, according to them, was in the CME range ... which corresponds with a CM in GK.

I suggest that YOU measure her ... and see if your measurements agree with the coaches. Make sure she is NOT sucking in or squeezing anything. If your measurements do match the coaches, remember GIRTH is the most important measurement. If your measurements do NOT match, go with your measurements and order accordingly ... or have them re-measure with you watching.

Alpha Factor were THE worst fitting leo we had in our 15 years in the sport....I wouldn't shell out a penny unless she got to try on an actual leo...and then still expect the fit to be horrible, but less horrible. Our gym got them one year thinking we'd use them for 2 but the girls hated the fit so much that we junked them after a year and went back to GK.

They were basically a thong leo because no one's butt cheek was covered, even the kids with no butts...

Alpha Factor were THE worst fitting leo we had in our 15 years in the sport....I wouldn't shell out a penny unless she got to try on an actual leo...and then still expect the fit to be horrible, but less horrible. Our gym got them one year thinking we'd use them for 2 but the girls hated the fit so much that we junked them after a year and went back to GK.

They were basically a thong leo because no one's butt cheek was covered, even the kids with no butts...
We only have that problem with a couple of the girls who are probably in a size too small. Our gym always gets the most modest leg cut - some girls can actually make it look almost like booty shorts when they pull it down more.
We left GK because they messed our leotards up 3 years in a row and then although the rep KNEW, they didn't tell us that the leotard we were switching to would become a "special order" for our 2nd year and then discontinued completely 3 months after that.

My dd wore a child intermediate Alpha Factor competition leo for one season. At that time she was 7/8 years old and wearing CS in GK leos. She currently wears CL in GK and there is no way we would order the child intermediate size for her now.

I just laid the child intermediate AF leo on top of her GK CL from this year and the AF leo was slimmer on the sides and shorter in the length (torso) by 1"-1.25" approximately. (Sorry didnt have an adult XS leo to compare it to but this gives you an idea) This was a rough comparison since of course material and style can make a difference in fit.

Dd wore the AF leo several years ago but I can't imagine the sizing would have changed that much. I would definitely double check the measurements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back