WAG Aly Raisman criticizes USAG/USOC for handling of Nassar scandal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My favorite part from article:
“It can’t just be about we’re making sure the athletes feel safe now. It has to be going back and apologizing and going to these families and going to all these gymnasts and saying, `What made you feel unsafe? What can we do for the next generation?’” Raisman said.

Note to USAG:

1. Acknowledge
2. Apologize
3. Listen
4. Learn
5. Change
6. Listen
7. Learn
8. Change
9. Listen... (repeat)

What did you guys think of Nastia's response to it? It upset me... She just said.. OH well that wasn't my experience so oh well... ( that's what i took from her comments )... It made me really mad! How about have empathy and say that I support my fellow gymnast and want to make sure that they all feel safe!! ughh!

What did you guys think of Nastia's response to it? It upset me... She just said.. OH well that wasn't my experience so oh well... ( that's what i took from her comments )... It made me really mad! How about have empathy and say that I support my fellow gymnast and want to make sure that they all feel safe!! ughh!
She was just trying to protect her Father's position with the USAG. I agree it was a pathetic answer she should be ashamed.

It seemed extremely insensitive. She could easily have said that while she was not a victim, she is in advocate for the gymnasts who are, that she stands behind the need to make changes and ensure nothing like this ever happens again.
She was very "brushy-offy" about it. (For lack of a better word)

Yep. Nastia clearly did not want to talk about it or get involved or say anything.
Simone's response was great- she said something along the lines of "all 5 of us support what she is doing." I thought her response showed unity and support for her teammate.

Yep. Nastia clearly did not want to talk about it or get involved or say anything.
Simone's response was great- she said something along the lines of "all 5 of us support what she is doing." I thought her response showed unity and support for her teammate.

I missed that last part, who was Simone talking about?

My tuppence, fwiw, is that nastia is too embedded in usag herself, so doesnt want to risk her nest eggs by commenting too deep. Not just that her dad has the new head gig, but she has her commentary, and also makes money through lucas sports and God only knows what else. Nothing against her, but even while you are "protecting your own," so to speak, you shpuld think about protecting other fellow gymnasts elsewhere. It was very disappointing, and made me think a lot less of her honestly. She didnt have to even say much, just a sign of support.....imho she was already told what to say....hope i am wrong. But yeah...it wasnt great.

My tuppence, fwiw, is that nastia is too embedded in usag herself, so doesnt want to risk her nest eggs by commenting too deep. Not just that her dad has the new head gig, but she has her commentary, and also makes money through lucas sports and God only knows what else. Nothing against her, but even while you are "protecting your own," so to speak, you shpuld think about protecting other fellow gymnasts elsewhere. It was very disappointing, and made me think a lot less of her honestly. She didnt have to even say much, just a sign of support.....imho she was already told what to say....hope i am wrong. But yeah...it wasnt great.

Regarding Nastia's reaction: Shortly after the first accusations started coming out, Nassar posted a new Facebook photo which was immediately flooded with likes and comments from his supporters. Nastia was among those who "liked" the photo. That's an obvious display of support for Nassar. It made her look totally dismissive towards the victims and basically like she didn't believe them.

Nastia is awful. She was dismissive of Aly's remarks when they were commentators together as well. Remember who her father is.

Regarding Nastia's reaction: Shortly after the first accusations started coming out, Nassar posted a new Facebook photo which was immediately flooded with likes and comments from his supporters. Nastia was among those who "liked" the photo. That's an obvious display of support for Nassar. It made her look totally dismissive towards the victims and basically like she didn't believe them.
WOW that is pretty awful. What i can say about the whole mess is.. that it has opened up a talking point with my daughter (10) and I may not describe the events, but I am able to ask her if she understands that she is never to be in a room alone with an adult .. especially in this type of situation. EVER..

The biggest take away. As always is tell, tell, tell.

As parents, dont put yourself or you kids in a position to be groomed.

Honor your ick factor. Teach your kids to honor theirs and tell.

Do not teach blind obedience.
Or imply it’s “disrespectful” to question and say no.

I truly can not recommend this book enough

Protecting The Gift by Gavin DeBecker

I'd like everyone to take a deep breath here and recognize that we are probably seeing another victim, and if I am reading this right, one who has not dealt with it and possibly is still blaming herself.

Obviously I don't agree at all with the sentiment.

I don't think I've mentioned today yet that Aly Raisman is awesome. OK, let's get that out of the way! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back