Parents Am I a mean mom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@MuggleMom Thanks for the update. For the record and against others here I do not think to speak frankly about the cost and sacrifice of gymnastics is a bad thing to do with your gymnast. It should just be done at their maturity level, money and finances are part of life.

I agree with this 100% and was going to say something along the same lines :)

One thing you will find is that the seriousness of injuries is not always immediately evident. My dd trained for six months with stress fractures in both legs before the pain became bad enough that she told us she thought something was wrong. She also has a teammate who broke her foot and practiced for two more days before it got painful enough that she mentioned it.

Our kids are used to having the small aches and pains of training. Sometimes it takes them a while to realize when it is a larger ache and pain.
Lol (not really funny), we had a girl that competed her first ever meet on a broken back... she had complained off and on about her hip for about 2 weeks, but said it wasn't bad - it just hurt a little on beam... and family doc thought it might be growing pains. She was old L4, scored over a 9 on vault and competed her ROBHS on floor ... and qualified for Y Nationals. Her hip hurt more after the meet, so HC suggested the urgent care 3 blocks from the meet site. They found the broken back. She went to an ortho 2 days later. She had surgery 3 days after that and was out the rest of the season, but came back the next year.

One thing you will find is that the seriousness of injuries is not always immediately evident....
Our kids are used to having the small aches and pains of training. Sometimes it takes them a while to realize when it is a larger ache and pain.

This is so true. As my daughter’s coach has pointed out to me many times, these kids tend to develop a high pain tolerance and won’t always know or let on when there is a real problem. My daughter ended up losing several months to what started out as a minor ankle sprain, possibly because at first no one knew how much of an issue it really was. OP, you are very smart to have taken over injury communications with the coach.

Update 2.0-- Ankle is feeling all better and she is super excited to be back to normal and be able to participate in gym. I made her PROMISE if it was sore at all to have the coach tape the ankle again. I think part of it was a bit in her head she was worried she was hurt so it hurt. I think knowing for sure what was wrong helped put her mind at ease so she could rest up and get back to (hopefully) 100%. And having 2 days off helped also :)

I second this:

It sounds like she hurt her ankle and the injury hasn't had a chance to heal. Definitely take her to the doctor, and keep a close eye on coaches who insist kids train through pain.

My DD has hidden multiple injuries because she was afraid to tell her coaches. She’s been told to train through the pain and then ‘take a break after state’, and she’s been forced to train on injuries. This isn’t uncommon in this sport, unfortunately, and I personally think it’s something that needs adjusting as USAG moves forward in dealing with varying areas/degrees of abuse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back