Am i crazy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks for that info.
Is a layout phelps really hard to do?
What about college gymnastics? I'm hoping for a d2 or low d1 college.
:)

Well, I think there's a reason that you don't see many tsuk-style vaults at level 10. I think you'll find that most gymnasts find it easier to get the 10.0 SV out of a Yurchenko entry than a 1/2 on. A lot of gymnasts have a hard time going from a pike to a layout tsuk because the layout and twisting tsuks require more power and better technique than tuck/pike tsuks. I prefer blind landings on vault and floor for some odd reason, and so I did find 1/2 1/2 fronts (piked) to be easier than layout tsuks ("easier" is, of course, a relative term because neither vault was ever good enough to put onto a competition mat. I also flip better in a pike than a tuck). I never tried a Phelps (the layout version), though.

Ok, so i am like super excited!
Tomorrow i am going to open gym at the gym that i am thinking about switching to. My mom and i are also going out to lunch with the people that i would live with! (They are really good family friends, but we haven't talked in a while and i'm really excited to see Jess!" Anyways, i'm gonna go shopping and stuff too! YAY!
So here's the plan
11:30- lunch at green mill with my mom, Jess, and Jess's mom.
1:00-3:00- open gym!!
3:00- ?:??- shopping!
I'm so excited!!

I'll post again tomorrow to say what i find out!!
(Eek!):D

Yeah, not so excited anymore (other than the fact that i got a bunch of sweet new clothes). So we met with them, and it sound like the mom and dad are most likely going to get a divorce meaning i can't go live with them because they would have a smaller house and not very much money. So yeah, not too excited.
About the gym
My mom talked to the owner and found out some info. They are currently going through a coaching change, and my mom is kinda worried about this even though the way the owner made it sound, this new coach is AMAZING! But she's my mom, and whats a mom's job other than worrying? Anyways, i had an ok practice at open gym, but my mom is talking about plans for this summer and next year if this whole living with Jess and her family thing doesn't work out.
Summer
2 weeks at a camp, then go to classes with these coaches in another town like i did this summer, and then just go to camps.
Next year
Good question.

My life is so confuzing!!

Well, i did drive to this gym when i was in 4th grade, like 5 years ago, and it wasn't horrible. I just did all my homework in the car, but when i get my liscense next year my mom was talking about how great it will be.
"Then you can drive yourself and it will be so nice and then we might actually be able to do this blah blah blah" and i'm just thinking "yeah, i drive, i lose all my homework time, and its really not that great of an idea on my part!"
I'm just really hoping that Jess's parents can get things figured out (for their kids and stuff as well as me) so that i can have my life be way easier. That would be so nice. And easy. But life's not easy...

you're not crazy. i live 45 min-1 hour away (its a rough drive) from my gym. it's one county over and the closest usag gym within 100 miles. when i was 13 i qualified for JO nationals and was invited to come train elite. the problem was the closest elite gym is about 3 hours, 4 or 5 with traffic, away. my mom wouldn't let me move or move our family. i've always been bitter about it.

my younger sister (she's 15) just moved down to denver (an hour away) to live with my aunt and uncle. she was having major problems at home but also she's a very competitive dancer and our small town has a dance studio but it's tiny and she wants to dance professionally some day, so she's at one of the top studios in the state. she couldn't be happier.

basically always follow your dreams. moving isn't permanent and you can always stop gym or go home. i just regret not having the chance to do elite all the time.

good luck!! <3 <3

I just did all my homework in the car, but when i get my liscense next year my mom was talking about how great it will be.
"Then you can drive yourself and it will be so nice and then we might actually be able to do this blah blah blah" and i'm just thinking "yeah, i drive, i lose all my homework time, and its really not that great of an idea on my part!"

You may want to think about how important gymnastics is to you, and how you want your parents to treat you in this situation. You may need to learn better time management if you really want this. It is not unreasonable for your parents to be excited that they do not have to drive several hours a day. Don't you think that they, also, have other things to do with their time than sit in a car for hours? This is your dream, not theirs, and therefore your responsibility to make it work if you want it, now that you're old enough. Your parents are more likely to work with you if you understand their point of view too. Perhaps you could drive some days, and they could drive others. Compromise. Make a plan... set aside time for homework, see if your teachers will give you assignments in advance that you can work on throughout the week, pick a few days that are reasonable for you to drive, see if you can work out less hours during the week, and more on the weekends, etc... then sit down, with your parents and discuss this. See if it will work, ask for their input. Your parents will be more likely to work with you if you take a mature, responsible attitude toward this situation.

I swear my mom has a different opinion on this every day. Today she was saying how maybe if i went to live with them i would have a good impact on thier family and be able to help them with the divorce and whatever else they have going on. I was thinking about this earlier because i am the type that wants to fix everything and make it all better, and i know that if they let me come live with them, i won't make it worse, and i will do all i can to make it better. I think that Jess's mom just doesn't want to throw me into this mess of divorce and stuff, but i really wouldn't mind, and i wouldn't even be at their house that much, and i would be home on the weekend.
Side note. let me explain something. Jess's dad has really bad depression and thats the whole problem in this divorce thing, and Jess's mom keeps talking about gettting him to go on different medication, and there's new medication coming out like all the time, but yet she doesn't do anything to try to get him on something differnt. Mildly frusterating.
Back to the story.I'm just hoping that one day mom will get the idea that she should really talk to Jess's mom about stuff and get her to really talk to her husband and see if she can get him on some different medication, because he's a really good guy and stuff, but he is just being eaten up by this depression and it's not the real guy thats showing. I'm just hoping they can get everything figured out over there, for everyone's sake.
But today my mom was really saying how we need to do something different next year, and how going to Rochester is our only option, which it pretty much is. The only question is where i'm going to live.

I agree with CreateMagic. I'm sure your parents will be willing to work out a compromise. Also, remember you are doing this so you can get a scholarship, right? What better time than now to get used to having to do all your schoolwork with all the workout time! Time management skills you learn now will keep you sane through college, with classes and workouts and meets.
It says a lot that your parents think you are responsible enough to drive yourself to a gym an hour away, and still be able to keep up with school. Heck my parents woulda flipped at just the idea of me driving an hour away and back by myself so often when I had just gotten my license. Your parents have a lot of faith in you and it shows! It also says a lot and shows how lucky you are to have parents who are willing to either get you a car or are willing to give up a family car for afternoons and evenings so you can pursue your dream. They're willing to do that because they know you can manage it!
But if you think it will be too much, sit down and have a talk with them. Figure out how much time you think you will need to do homework, and see where you can fit it into your schedule if you are driving yourself every day, and if you think it doesn't leave enough time, as your parents if they will drive you one day a week, or drive you if you have a large assignment you need more time to work on. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help out, and will live how much responsibility you are showing!

~Katy

Also, remember you are doing this so you can get a scholarship, right? What better time than now to get used to having to do all your schoolwork with all the workout time! Time management skills you learn now will keep you sane through college, with classes and workouts and meets.
ask your parents if they will drive you one day a week, or drive you if you have a large assignment you need more time to work on. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help out, and will live how much responsibility you are showing!

~Katy
You have some really good points. I totally agree with the scholarship/college/homework thing. My parents did agree to drive me sometimes, and my dads a farmer so he's not busy all winter, so if the roads are bad or something he can drive me (i live in Minnesota). I also have grandparents that live really close that are willing to take me if they would need to, and of course, my dad being a farmer means he can tecnically leave if he needs too. i also think that if i can talk to my teachers, i might be able to get an extention on some things as a last resort. Thanks for all the encouragement, and i'm sure that this work out fine, no matter what ends up happening!

Just curious, I live in southern minisoooda and know most of the gyms around here, what gyms have/are you looking at?

What did I say. Different opinion every day. Grrr...
Well now, my mom and dad are thinking that i should go somewhere besides Rochester, and I have no idea why, but whatever, but the problem is, we can't be driving a 180 mile round trip 5 days a week to these gyms in the cities! But thats our only other option. Well, my old coach back at my first gym was really good family friends of ours, and she knows a lot more about college gymnastics and stuff, so my dad is going to see if my mom, dad, and i can go meet up with her, her husband, and her daughter (who was a good gymnast and a deacent coach now) so he can see what their opinion is. Hopefully they will have an idea for us.
Also, if anyone has information on gyms in the minnesota Metro/south of the metro(down to the iowa border), feel free to Private Message me. That would be appreciated.
:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back