WAG Am I out for the rest of my season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Some kids can't catch a break (hehe pun)... and I'm one of them... I was out last season with some naggy injuries and a three broken bones, came back I think late July (ish, I can't totally remember), went from then to Dec. 7 uninjured for the most part; other than a broken toe. I was doing very well, improved a ton, gained new skills.... and then got hurt... again. We recently found out I tore two ligaments - one in my ankle and one higher up - aka a high ankle sprain. We originally thought it would be a 4-6 week full recovery time... but now... my PT thinks its more 10-12 weeks; at least 8 more. It is still a fairly acute injury (about 3 weeks) so it is hard to say, but it isn't looking good. I just got off crutches Monday and I'm still walking in my boot. Progress is being made, as I can now take a solid 10 steps, but compared to gymnastics that is nothing.

Sorry for the vent. Anyone deal with anything similar? Success stories? Any ideas on what to do the next few weeks? I should be walking by the end of next week, so the boot won't really be in the picture. So, so, so frustrating. I guess my body isn't built for gymnastics, but I love it again :(

Tried to attach a pic (although the swelling has gone down loads the bruising still hasn't :()

Attachments

• _20151219_124515.JPG
    _20151219_124515.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 82
I don't have any experience with your ankle injury, (get better soon!!) but I've only been doing gymnastics (counting Rec) for 3 years and I've had a broken foot, broken wrist, sprained 2 fingers, sprained each ankle multiple times, sprained elbow (suspected OCD) and tendinitis in both elbows.

Point being I understand somewhat what you're going through, even though my injuries haven't been as bad as that, they've been very frequent and hard to heal.

I know it's difficult to work so hard at the gym just to be injured and miss competitions, but in the end it really does make you so much stronger of a gymnast than someone who's never had to face those struggles! I hope you get better quickly and are able to
enjoy the sport injury free!

I hope you have a quick recovery! I have not personally dealt with an ankle injury like yours but I do understand what it's like to have to miss gym! I tore my hamstring last year and was not able to do anything but bars for 2 months. I also had to do many months of at home physical therapy exercises to help strengthen my hamstring.

Just want to say I'm sorry, and let it heal. My DD is only 9 and has sprained the same ankle 3 times now. I think we didn't let it heal enough the first time.

I personally had a cast on my leg recently and spent a lot of time on an exercise bike to stay fit. First with one pedal, then with two once I was in a boot.

Good luck with your recovery. It will happen.

Just want to say I'm sorry, and let it heal. My DD is only 9 and has sprained the same ankle 3 times now. I think we didn't let it heal enough the first time.

I personally had a cast on my leg recently and spent a lot of time on an exercise bike to stay fit. First with one pedal, then with two once I was in a boot.

Good luck with your recovery. It will happen.
Thanks :) I want to let it heal it is just a hard, long recovery. I miss gymnastics. I miss myself. I'm not myself anymore and I hate it. I didn't let mine heal either in Feb, so I feel for your DD.
What happened to you? That is a good idea though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back