am i to old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

Naomitrep

im not really a gymnast, but i really want to learn how to do a handspring. im 15 years old. i can do a back bend but i cant kick out of it. am i to old to learn? if no, how do i go about learning? can i do it without atending classes?

We have classes at our gym that are specifically for high school age girls. You are not too old. I would definitely look into some classes rather than try to teach yourself. Lots of gyms offer tumbling classes. Hers a hint on your backbend kickover, Lots of kids think it's all about the kicking over part "If I could just kick hard enough", it's not, that skill is all about shoulder and back flexibility, the further forward you can press your armpits the easier it is to kick over. Just a thought.

No way are you too old! Check out a local gym-ours offers private lessons where you can work with a qualified instructor on whatever you want, and also backhandspring clinics-which works on strength and drills that aide in backhandspring learning and improvement.

You are definately not too old, the best way to get it is going to be at a gym through classes or private lessons. If that is not an option you can look into open gyms at Gymnastics Club in your area. They are usually cheaper than classes and you don't have to sign up for them. Good luck.

I am a gymnast and i see a few girls come into the gym to learn spacific things.
If you want to learn something, fallow your hear. Go for it!

im 22 and yeah, its hard to find anyplace for over-18's to REALLY train. the gym here by me only offers one hour a week other than that i get virtually no practice time unless i opt to go to free gym or something. in addition, there is no getting to any type of gymnastics camp either!!! whats up with that?????

No way are you too old. Where I live pretty much every gym has a huge adult program and we have 50 year olds learning their first back handsprings. Being able to do the bridge kickover does help but it is not essential to learn the back handspring. I can do a back handspring and a back tuck and layout, but not a back walkover or bridge kickover.

i was just looking at camps. the last session at woodward, pa lets adults do it.

Backhandsprings

I've been coaching high school cheerleading for 2 years now-half of my girls had no idea they'd be tumbling now and 5 or 6 of them now have a backhandspring. I know that's not a ton, but you get what you put into it. They definately can't all do backwalkovers. At any rate, a good thing you can do at home is plenty of bridges-work on pushing your shoulders out over your hands-this would help the kickover concept too. A lot of times when my girls can't kickover, it's because their shoulders aren't in the right place. Make sense? At any rate, you are totally the right age to learn. Go for it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back