Am I too old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've been thinking a lot lately that I am too old to be competing level 5/6 and that I should quit. I'm going to be fourteen in less than a month and am at least two years older than all the girls on the level 5 team. What do you think?

I don't think you should quit! The number one question is do you love gymnastics and are you having fun? If so, stick with it! I was always the youngest on my team and that wasn't much fun either. My niece is a 9 y/o and just started gym at L 5 and is anxious about being too old. But I told her this, that the older gymnasts generally understand skills better. When you're older you have more body awareness and can follow directions better and may move up to other levels faster. Even if you don't that doesn't matter. So don't look at it as being "too old" look at is as having an advantage over the other girls. And even if you don't finish the JO route you're only a level away from HS gym if that's an option in your state/area. But if you're having fun don't quit!! You're also getting a work out and staying in shape and hopefully having a blast. A lot of girls that age don't get that in their lives. So stick with it :)

Oh and silly me I just saw you're from CO. That's where I'm from! Do you do JO or does your gym also do EAGLES? Some of the EAGLES girls are older and so you might have fun in one of those programs. I can't think of many gyms in the state that don't have a CARA or EAGLES program.

14 is not too old, where I live 14 in level 5 is actually quite common. Not every gymnasts starts at 4-6 years old. Even adults compete as level 5's.

Not at all! I'm in the Canadian equivelent of level 5/6 and I am 13! As long as you love it, don't stop. It's super common to be 14 and level 5/6. I only started last year, and I was the oldest in the group for awhile.

So I've been thinking a lot lately that I am too old to be competing level 5/6 and that I should quit. I'm going to be fourteen in less than a month and am at least two years older than all the girls on the level 5 team. What do you think?
I'm 14 too and i will be a level in the Colorado EAGLES program this year and thought about quitting but decided not to because age doesn't matter. Just ask yourself, do I still love the sport? Am I still having fun? Is there really any reason to quit?
If the age difference on your team is bugging you, you could try EAGLES (if your state has it) or switch to a gym with older girls.

I'm 14 too and i will be a level in the Colorado EAGLES program this year and thought about quitting but decided not to because age doesn't matter. Just ask yourself, do I still love the sport? Am I still having fun? Is there really any reason to quit?
If the age difference on your team is bugging you, you could try EAGLES (if your state has it) or switch to a gym with older girls.

There's a lot of us CO gymmies hiding out here!

You're never too old!! I'm 13 and looking forward to getting on the level 4 team this fall. So what if all the other girls are 9, 10, and 11? I won't be competing level 5 til I'm 14 too! Gymnastics isn't about age, it's about how much you love the sport. Good luck!!

You can't put an age on gymnastics. If your body lets you do it, then age shouldn't matter :) I'm 14 and I'm in Level 7, and for a while I thought I was too old. Don't compare yourself to the other girls and remember that age is just a number!

You're never too old for any level! There's a lot of girls at my gym who are older than 14 and compete in level 5/6 and there's nothing wrong with that. If you still love the sport, you stick with it no matter what age or level you are. :)

Oh and silly me I just saw you're from CO. That's where I'm from! Do you do JO or does your gym also do EAGLES? Some of the EAGLES girls are older and so you might have fun in one of those programs. I can't think of many gyms in the state that don't have a CARA or EAGLES program.

i compete in eagles too and will be 15 soon! i will be a level six this season! theres another girl on my team who will be 16. it doesn't matter how old you are, it matters if you want to do the sport.

Don't quit!!!

This past competition season, I started Level 4, and I was 12, then, I turned 13. I'm going to level 5 this year. You're NEVER too old!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back