American Strong (Thunderbirds & Blue Angels Together)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They are simply fulfilling their mission in a somewhat different and perhaps more meaningful way than usual. As these are already active and existing programs there is not much waste, unless you think these particular kinds of outreach, recruitment and inspirational military programs themselves are a waste, and that is a different argument I think.

We attend our local air show every year and have seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. They are truly thrilling to watch. I hope people enjoy these flyovers.

I think I actually do find their mission to be a waste in the best of times, but now I find it a flagrant waste of money to run these flyovers. Like I said though, I get it- unpopular opinion.

They are simply fulfilling their mission in a somewhat different and perhaps more meaningful way than usual. As these are already active and existing programs there is not much waste, unless you think these particular kinds of outreach, recruitment and inspirational military programs themselves are a waste, and that is a different argument I think.

We attend our local air show every year and have seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. They are truly thrilling to watch. I hope people enjoy these flyovers.

THe pilots are required to get so many flying hours. So they have to fly. Usually the air shows fulfill that requirement, but those are cancelled. I think it is a great way to get their hours, while not costing the taxpayers more money.

The entire military is operating under a stop movement order. Families of military members can’t travel. military members and their families have their lives on hold as all changes of station have been paused. Spouses quit jobs in anticipation of moving, some families are now having to pay rent in two locations or had already closed on a mortgage at their anticipated new duty station.

The resource part doesn’t bother me much, the pilots need to get their flight hours in to stay current. But the travel does bother me a little at a time when the entire military is sacrificing along with the rest of the country by putting their lives on hold. I would rather see them show solidarity with their fellow Airman/Sailors/Marines and stay at their home bases flying than traveling around the nation doing flyovers.

But they are awesome. Not sure I could count how many times I’ve seen them, growing up as an Air Force brat and then the spouse of a career Marine. And I would absolutely find way to watch if they flew near my current location.

Last post and I’ll stop. These pilots do not do combat- they’re a recruiting tool. As such, I’m not really worried if they don’t get training hours and end up grounded. I am a current military spouse, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see the negatives and waste of the military. And no, I don’t really fit into my community. Ha.

This is incorrect.
Link? They’re a demo squad. They train and fly demos. Before or after their time the pilots may be combat pilots, but this is a special tour of duty. We have a friend on the Blue Angels now. Remove the demo squads and those people would be back to being normal pilots for sure, but not while they’re serving in this capacity.

Link? They’re a demo squad. They train and fly demos. Before or after their time the pilots may be combat pilots, but this is a special tour of duty. We have a friend on the Blue Angels now. Remove the demo squads and those people would be back to being normal pilots for sure, but not while they’re serving in this capacity.

Which makes your statement that these pilots "do not do combat" completely incorrect. I also know a former Thunderbird pilot... he definitely would not say that he did not do "combat"... as he did. Was it during his time as a Thunderbird... no.

Which makes your statement that these pilots "do not do combat" completely incorrect. I also know a former Thunderbird pilot... he definitely would not say that he did not do "combat"... as he did. Was it during his time as a Thunderbird... no.
I got pulled back in. Ha. Yes, meaning all those amazing pilots- the best of the best- would be of better use to our country not putting on expensive shows. I’m sorry, but these units, as I said, are demo groups- recruitment tools- and expensive, wasteful ones. I’m my opinion, of course. No point or arguing further since my point is true and my opinion is firm.

It's expensive for sure... but this country is all about "public perception".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back