And so it begins

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

novagymmom

Proud Parent
I knew that going back to the gym (and then ultimately back to the gym), there would be daily decisions about what we are comfortable with as people get diagnosed. I guess I just wasn't quite ready for it to start yet!

My daughter has been back in the gym 1.5 weeks. (Only going about 7.5 hours/week at this point.) This morning we received an email that a PARENT of one of the L8-10 girls (my daughter's training group) has been diagnosed as positive COVID. Apparently the gymnast stayed home from practice last week as soon as the parent started experiencing symptoms, the full family was tested (and only the parent was positive), and they are all still quarantining.

The gym reported the incident to the health department, who said no additional action is necessary at this point . . . and the cleaning/distancing protocols at the gym are good. So, we are planning to send our daughter in. But ugh . . . the stress of these types of daily decisions will be very difficult. :-(

How stressful.

It sounds like the family involved did the responsible thing and made good decisions. I hope they come through this without it spreading through the family, and with only mild cases.

It also sounds like your gym is committed to keeping the lines of communication open and honest, which must be reassuring when everything else is so up in the air.

I'm sorry. I know that must be stressful. I hope everyone else remains healthy. I don't think we are at the same gym, but likely a nearby one. I know our area has been doing better than the rest of the state, but I have to admit I get nervous every time I see a fellow gym family posting pictures of themselves in VA Beach or at the DE beaches.

I knew that going back to the gym (and then ultimately back to the gym), there would be daily decisions about what we are comfortable with as people get diagnosed. I guess I just wasn't quite ready for it to start yet!

My daughter has been back in the gym 1.5 weeks. (Only going about 7.5 hours/week at this point.) This morning we received an email that a PARENT of one of the L8-10 girls (my daughter's training group) has been diagnosed as positive COVID. Apparently the gymnast stayed home from practice last week as soon as the parent started experiencing symptoms, the full family was tested (and only the parent was positive), and they are all still quarantining.

The gym reported the incident to the health department, who said no additional action is necessary at this point . . . and the cleaning/distancing protocols at the gym are good. So, we are planning to send our daughter in. But ugh . . . the stress of these types of daily decisions will be very difficult. :-(
I feel your pain! This has happened twice already at our gym. We are in a current “hotspot.” It’s so hard!

Reactions: sce
Yes, you have no control over how other families are managing this and really, even the most careful families can catch this. It is nerve wracking. I am still paying tuition but my daughter has only gone to the gym a portion of the time. I don't think her group are truly social distancing plus the rec classes and camp kids. Things have been Ok at our gym but the case numbers were low and just started rising.I am not convinced that it wouldn't spread if you had an infected coach or gymnast at practice. I love gymnastics and want her to continue but no masks and an inside sport puts it at a higher risk.

Yes! I hear you. It seems every week there's a new situation where I/my family needs to decide 'what to do'. We are all still figuring out our comfort-zone and sometimes things we are OK with one week changes the next because we are still adapting to the new normal.

Unfortunately, this is our new reality for the next 2 years. We all have to make decisions about what we find to be reasonable to protect ourselves and others. That will be different for each family because our situations are unique based on so many factors, including how we view life and circumstance.

But ugh . . . the stress of these types of daily decisions will be very difficult. :-(

Right there with you. This is going to be a huge issue not just for gymnastics, but for school and child care as well. I seriously doubt that there is much benefit to on-again, off-again attendance at gymnastics and school, which is one reason our family is still staying home.

We also had a parent test positive. No info from the gym was sent out. I only knew because I’m friends with the mom.

We also had a parent test positive. No info from the gym was sent out. I only knew because I’m friends with the mom.

ANd they wouldn't have notified you of parent positive only. Unless that parent was in contact with the kids or other parents directly, then it is not a close contact. 2nd degree contacts (contacts of contacts) are not notified.

Reactions: sce
ANd they wouldn't have notified you of parent positive only. Unless that parent was in contact with the kids or other parents directly, then it is not a close contact. 2nd degree contacts (contacts of contacts) are not notified.

Yea that makes sense why they wouldn’t need to tell anyone, but kids can be asymptomatic carriers, and in this case the child hasn’t even been tested yet, just quarantining at home for 14 days. I’m personally not too worried as she isn’t in my daughters group, even though they are in the gym at the same time. We’re all taking a risk going anywhere/sending our kids anywhere right now.

Yea that makes sense why they wouldn’t need to tell anyone, but kids can be asymptomatic carriers, and in this case the child hasn’t even been tested yet, just quarantining at home for 14 days. I’m personally not too worried as she isn’t in my daughters group, even though they are in the gym at the same time. We’re all taking a risk going anywhere/sending our kids anywhere right now.

This is true. any where we go could get us infected.

This is by far the hardest part of all of this for me. I'm emotionally drained.

Yes! One week, I feel fine and the next I’m stressed out. I hear about another gym with more safety protocols and that worries me bc I wonder if ours isn’t doing enough.

We’ve been back since June. One coach tested positive early on... no symptoms... whole group quarantined. 2 parents tested positive and just the gymnasts quarantined and one gymnast tested positive and again... whole group left for 2 weeks. Gym has been great with communication, daily cleaning, health questionnaire every single day. Definitely feel comfortable because of the precautions they’re taking. Now there is a big rise in our area but still sending her because I don’t want fear to rule our lives. We are also one of the few schools back in person... with masks and social distancing and we’ve only had one family get infected. Again, daily temp checks, masks, barriers around desks, and immediate quarantine is working!
I think with super smart, careful planning and attention, we could get some semblance of normal but unfortunately too many aren’t willing to do their part.

I understand 100%.
So a friend of a "gym chauffeur" (GC drives 3 girls to and from gym - the girls sit in the back seat) tested positive. The friends were together in the sound room at church on Sunday. Since they were the only people in there, they both had their masks off. The friend started feeling not well on Monday. He and his mother both got tested Tuesday. Her results came back first = Positive. Friend texted GC to be careful because of the mom testing positive. GC went and got tested. He is negative, but has to retest on Friday since his friend's test came back positive later in the day. Gym has been informed of the tangential contact possibility. Monday, only 2 of the 3 girls were there. They followed the gym's social distancing protocols ... and their group was a total of 3 girls (usually it's 4). The girls didn't go yesterday and probably won't go tomorrow either. Will see what Friday brings.

Just this week.

Our school district. 1 positive at MS, 1 positive at HS, no connection. But due to the amount of teachers who need mandatory quarantine there Are not enough substitute teachers. So both buildings closed for 2 weeks.

I‘m supposed to start a new job next week. 2 last shifts this week at current job. Last night and Friday. Guy I worked last night woke up this afternoon with a fever. He just tested positive. He feels terrible about potentially exposing me. I told him it is what it is.

Canceled all family stuff. Reading my pre employment paper work reagarding Covid as we speak.

Just this week.

Our school district. 1 positive at MS, 1 positive at HS, no connection. But due to the amount of teachers who need mandatory quarantine there Are not enough substitute teachers. So both buildings closed for 2 weeks.

I‘m supposed to start a new job next week. 2 last shifts this week at current job. Last night and Friday. Guy I worked last night woke up this afternoon with a fever. He just tested positive. He feels terrible about potentially exposing me. I told him it is what it is.

Canceled all family stuff. Reading my pre employment paper work reagarding Covid as we speak.

Sorry to hear about your exposure, but WOW at the fact that he woke up this afternoon with a fever and already has a positive! There is no way that is happening here. They say 48 hours but it is taking 3-4 days in most cases.

GOod luck with your new job and with all of this. I know it is never ending and part of what we deal with, but there is always a bit of anxiety with this stuff!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back