And so it begins

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry to hear about your exposure, but WOW at the fact that he woke up this afternoon with a fever and already has a positive! There is no way that is happening here. They say 48 hours but it is taking 3-4 days in most cases.

GOod luck with your new job and with all of this. I know it is never ending and part of what we deal with, but there is always a bit of anxiety with this stuff!
Thanks for the good thoughts.

It was the rapid test and he just had his flu shot. So who knows. I told him to make sure the ER sends out the PCR test. Hopefully they’ll test me on Friday.

The job involves travel. I have to travel for training, the reality is I could get exposed at a rest area or at the hotel Or the cafeteria at the new job. Right now telling my kid Halloween which was limited in scope to begin with is likely a bust is what I’m dreading.

Keeping my mask on and boggling on. Calling the new boss tomorrow.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Hoping for negative results for both "gym chauffeur" and Deleted member 18037!
Unfortunately, his second rapid test came back positive ... so he got the pcr and found out today that it was positive too.
FORTUNATELY, he is pretty much asymptomatic. He had congestion (he figured it was his allergies from being closed in his room with his heater running and not bothering to take his allergy meds for several weeks). With benadryl, the congestion has cleared up. No fever. Only aches he has are because he is laying around all the time. Fingers crossed he stays asymptomatic. His friend that was kind enough to share the virus is still having some trouble with his breathing, so GC definitely knows it could be worse.

Update 1: tested last Friday, results back Saturday. It could of been same day but I simply don't have a lot of confidence in the rapid test. Negative. I feel fine. No other positives as yet, for anyone else considered exposed.

We got no formal contact from the hospital by the time I left Friday afternoon. Why yes even though I was direct exposure, as a healthcare worker you report for your shifts unless you are symptomatic. Unlike school.... Kid was out of school as we had 2 unrelated cases in 2 schools. So we didn't have enough subs to cover. Because the teachers have to quarantine even if they are in the same room but nowhere near the student. Mind you they are all masked.

I have still not heard an official peep from my former employer or any government tracing entity.

We (the family) are all quarantined as per CDC regs. It is prudent. Halloween plans were canceled. It was popcorn and Rocky Horror on the couch. Haven't touched my family or slept in the same bed as my husband in a week. We have elected to not mask in the house (but keep our distance), and not keep me in 1 room at home, we still would have the same quarantine. We will reevaluate should I (or any of us really) develop the slightest of symptoms.

Got pushed back on the start date of my new job. Out of an abundance of caution I will test again later this week. Even without symptoms.

Update 1: tested last Friday, results back Saturday. It could of been same day but I simply don't have a lot of confidence in the rapid test. Negative. I feel fine. No other positives as yet, for anyone else considered exposed.

We got no formal contact from the hospital by the time I left Friday afternoon. Why yes even though I was direct exposure, as a healthcare worker you report for your shifts unless you are symptomatic. Unlike school.... Kid was out of school as we had 2 unrelated cases in 2 schools. So we didn't have enough subs to cover. Because the teachers have to quarantine even if they are in the same room but nowhere near the student. Mind you they are all masked.

I have still not heard an official peep from my former employer or any government tracing entity.

We (the family) are all quarantined as per CDC regs. It is prudent. Halloween plans were canceled. It was popcorn and Rocky Horror on the couch. Haven't touched my family or slept in the same bed as my husband in a week. We have elected to not mask in the house (but keep our distance), and not keep me in 1 room at home, we still would have the same quarantine. We will reevaluate should I (or any of us really) develop the slightest of symptoms.

Got pushed back on the start date of my new job. Out of an abundance of caution I will test again later this week. Even without symptoms.
I like the idea of retesting even without symptoms. Could be asymptomatic positive and better safe than sorry.

I like the idea of retesting even without symptoms. Could be asymptomatic positive and better safe than sorry.
That’s mostly to make everyone else feel better. Especially the new co-workers I haven’t even met yet. And I believe the governors are busy wanting to quarantine if not tested.

It will also help my husband who I love dearly but I’m over him asking me how I’m feeling multiple times a day. He’s known me 20 yrs. If I had something to say I’d say it. :cool:

That’s mostly to make everyone else feel better. Especially the new co-workers I haven’t even met yet. And I believe the governors are busy wanting to quarantine if not tested.

It will also help my husband who I love dearly but I’m over him asking me how I’m feeling multiple times a day. He’s known me 20 yrs. If I had something to say I’d say it. :cool:
Here, if the health department quarantines someone (who has tested negative 2 days after being exposed to covid), they tell them not to bother getting re-tested because "you could just be getting a false negative every time." So they just assume positive and quarantine 14 days from exposure. However, if you retest for other reasons (family or work telling you to), and you test positive 3 days later, so 5 days after exposure, they tell you to isolate (but don't change the date you can "return to normal") ... when everything we have heard is 10 days after testing positive.

" So they just assume positive and quarantine 14 days from exposure. However, if you retest for other reasons (family or work telling you to), and you test positive 3 days later, so 5 days after exposure, they tell you to isolate (but don't change the date you can "return to normal") ... when everything we have heard is 10 days after testing positive.
Here, if the health department quarantines someone (who has tested negative 2 days after being exposed to covid), they tell them not to bother getting re-tested because "you could just be getting a false negative every time." So they just assume positive
so you test negative and they assume you are positive.

And folks want to talk to me about science..... oh h*ll no

We have Nationals this weekend (very low key, no audience and only 20-30 gymnasts there at one time). I've been so excited about it, especially for my senior girls, I have 2 of them), who have worked really, really hard! This has been their best season so far, even after the spring and not going to the gym for 3 months, they have added some really hard skills, and they both had a shot for finals.
Yesterday, in the middle of the practice, one of them got a message that she has been exposed to Covid at school and now she has to quarantine for 10 days. She can't compete. She was absolutely devastated! And me too. This was one of the hardest things I have had to deal with during my years as a coach. It hit me really hard, and I can't even imagine how she is feeling now, and how bad it must feel to know that she has to stay home while everyone else is there competing.
The worst thing is that I tried to suggest the family to home school her for the last 10 days before the competition, but the family didn't think it was necessary. I saw it coming, and I saw it happening to this particular girl, that's why I asked. She has always been the one with really, really bad luck.

We are torn, but at the same time I understand that we should be grateful that we even got to compete this fall, and that the other gymnasts can still participate. And the health comes before everything else, and my main wish is that she will stay healthy.

Yesterday, in the middle of the practice, one of them got a message that she has been exposed to Covid at school and now she has to quarantine for 10 days. She can't compete. She was absolutely devastated! And me too. This was one of the hardest things I have had to deal with during my years as a coach. It hit me really hard, and I can't even imagine how she is feeling now, and how bad it must feel to know that she has to stay home while everyone else is there competing.
I'm so sorry. That is so tough - particularly if she is feeling well. Obviously what she has to do, but so incredibly disappointing. I'm so sorry.

@gymisforeveryone that is very disappointing for her, and it’s a shame her parents weren’t on board with precautions. My younger daughter is a member of a professional ballet company, and they are all flat out required to self-quarantine for two weeks prior to performing. Home/dance only, except for emergencies and everyone must test the week before and after the show. It is going to be a pain for the rest of the family, but it’s a short sacrifice we are willing to make for her. My husband doesn’t have the ability to quarantine because of his job, but he’ll be self-isolating at home those two weeks.

@gymisforeveryone that is very disappointing for her, and it’s a shame her parents weren’t on board with precautions. My younger daughter is a member of a professional ballet company, and they are all flat out required to self-quarantine for two weeks prior to performing. Home/dance only, except for emergencies and everyone must test the week before and after the show. It is going to be a pain for the rest of the family, but it’s a short sacrifice we are willing to make for her. My husband doesn’t have the ability to quarantine because of his job, but he’ll be self-isolating at home those two weeks.

Our city's professional ballet company has divided into smaller "pods" that rehearse and perform together. They are masked and distanced at all times, even during performances. Only dancers who live in the same household are permitted to partner. They are performing some new works made especially for the pandemic, which sound fascinating. They are limiting in-person audiences to 25 percent capacity, but I still don't feel it's worth the risk to attend.

Our city's professional ballet company has divided into smaller "pods" that rehearse and perform together. They are masked and distanced at all times, even during performances. Only dancers who live in the same household are permitted to partner. They are performing some new works made especially for the pandemic, which sound fascinating. They are limiting in-person audiences to 25 percent capacity, but I still don't feel it's worth the risk to attend.
My daughter’s company is masked and distanced in technique work and learning parts, and then masked and not distanced while rehearsing. The company, including the 6 trainees, is only 16 dancers, so they’re already a small group, and they don’t all rehearse the same times. For the school of the ballet company the dancers’ levels are also pods. Their first two shows were outdoors, and the next is to be filmed indoors at a big fancy theater, but then streamed to purchasers homes. So far I’ve felt safe being their patron. In March there is another streaming show, but then in April and May they’re supposed to be performing live in a theater again. I’m already nervous for that future.

Another update..... I swabbed again yesterday. Results back this afternoon. Negative.

A second lab person, tested positive. However the spread was not the lab/hospital. The 2 positives in the lab, attended the same party over the weekend. A charity fundraiser which is now a cluster In the area.

We have also had a number of cases in our local district. Again, none connected to being in school or on buses. All caught outside school.

Anecdotally proving (to me, anyway) brief exposure not so risky, especially if asymptomatic. Social distancing and masking is working.,Prolonged exposure risky.

Oh, things got exponentially worse. We were on the way to the Nationals, less than an hour away, when my other senior gymnast got notification from school that she has been exposed too in class. There were nothing else we could do but turn back and return home. It felt unreal, and so so bad. We watched the competition live stream from car. This is so disappointing in so many ways. I'm SO full of this, I just want to go to sleep and wake up after the vaccine.

Oh, things got exponentially worse. We were on the way to the Nationals, less than an hour away, when my other senior gymnast got notification from school that she has been exposed too in class. There were nothing else we could do but turn back and return home. It felt unreal, and so so bad. We watched the competition live stream from car. This is so disappointing in so many ways. I'm SO full of this, I just want to go to sleep and wake up after the vaccine.

Oh I am so sorry. That must just be so disappointing. For you and your girls. Hugs to all of you and I hope they stay healthy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back