Parents Annoyed - flyaway meet where only competitors were teammates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh that sucks. It is bad enough when a local meet has low attendance but to fly for a meet you would think it would be large.

I would say something to the HC and let them know the disappointment of spending $$$$ to get to a distant meet for it to be so small in that level.

I do know that sometimes year to year meets change in composition. A big meet in our area has changed since COVID from a big USAG meet to a big XCEL meet where they now combine L2-5 and L6-10 into 2 sessions on 1 floor vs the 1200 USAG gymnasts it used to be.

I also know that this season there are many more meets than in the last 2 for our area. Last year was hard to find meets b/c they were late to show up, COVID restricted sizing, etc. this year each weekend has 2-4 meets to pick from. Spreading teams out and making some larger meets much smaller (although the really big ones are still massive)

Xcel Gold
Did the coach want an expense paid trip for some reason?

We live in the NE. And we once had a Texas gym compete at a very small meet. They were there because their coach was visiting family.

Again we are in the NE, the only fly meet that was ever an option was in Florida.

But before we start signing up for meets that require significant travel and hotel, I scope out the previous year’s turnout on mymeetscores

@Deleted member 18037 - I did a little sleuthing and apparently the HC of the gym (not our actual coach) is from the area. :( I'm sad to think this would be the reason for attending this crappy meet and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but will be voicing my concern about it when we have our annual parent meeting. I actually think it's just silly to be traveling at this level (Xcel Gold) but when I asked about it after receiving the schedule, was told that since our girls are moving to L6 in the spring (our gym uses Gold in place of L4/L5) this would be good experience for them. Which was obviously BS. Anyway, thanks to all for letting me vent!

@Deleted member 18037 - I did a little sleuthing and apparently the HC of the gym (not our actual coach) is from the area. :( I'm sad to think this would be the reason for attending this crappy meet and will give them the benefit of the doubt, but will be voicing my concern about it when we have our annual parent meeting. I actually think it's just silly to be traveling at this level (Xcel Gold) but when I asked about it after receiving the schedule, was told that since our girls are moving to L6 in the spring (our gym uses Gold in place of L4/L5) this would be good experience for them. Which was obviously BS. Anyway, thanks to all for letting me vent!
My kid is currently in the middle of her HS season so she knows lots of kids from various gyms. one Of those gyms is doing a meet in Mexico. Is there actually a reason to compete in Mexico beyond actually traveling to Mexico. No. I have no details beyond that they are going to Mexico. My guess is it’s not a mandatory meet. But knowing the coach I’m guessing she wanted a travel trip and liked Mexico as an option. She gets a free trip to Mexico
The families opt in. As long as everyone has fun. Good for them.

We just did a bigger travel meet (could drive but several flew) and we competed against the gym from across the street back home. Very frustrated. The coaches were frustrated too based on several comments they made to me. I imagine we will not go to that meet again. I think some gyms try and vary the meets you go to which if you are gonna be at a gym for years and years is nice but if its one they havent been to it before you run the risk of a dud.

That’s extremely frustrating. I’m glad you can at least find some positives in the experience, and being evaluated by different judges is always beneficial too.
I agree with politely discussing this with the coaching staff, and letting them know that if the same meet appears on the schedule next year, you will most likely decline.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back