WAG Another coach banned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are around 100 members on the banned list, several every year are named/added. Shouldn't this be seen as a good thing? USAG banning members that haven't been charged and convicted of crimes but have been found to have violated rules and policies? It would think it would seem a good thing USAG is being proactive.

Here is the part of R&P he was found to heave violated:

H. Sexual Misconduct.
Members of USA Gymnastics are expected to promote a safe environment for participants, coaches, officials, volunteers and staff in all gymnastics disciplines, which includes an environment free from sexual misconduct. It is inconsistent with this obligation for any Member to:

1. Solicit or engage in sexual relations with any minor.

2. Engage in any behavior that utilizes the influence of a professional Member's position as coach, judge,

official or administrator to encourage sexual relations with an athlete or participant.

3. Engage in sexual harassment by making unwelcome advances, requests for sexual favors or other verbal

or physical conduct of a sexual nature where such conduct creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
I. Sexual Relationships.
Professional Members of USA Gymnastics must protect the integrity of the sport and the interests of the athletes they serve by avoiding sexual relationships with athletes except where the capacity and quality of the athlete's consent to enter that relationship is beyond question.

I'm not saying banning him wasn't a good idea but it seemed to have happened so quickly without any scuttlebutt in the news...and he's already banned. If I remember correctly, Nassar wasn't banned right off the bat so the efficiency of this one caught me off guard. I'm all for protecting the gymnasts.

I'd like to know the criteria for banning. Nassar had multiple criminal charges as do most (all?) of the others that I am aware of. This is odd to me because there is none of that per reports -- just a 20-yr old accusation? What was proven? How?

I have the same questions!

The following Membership Statement has been adopted by the Board of Directors of USA Gymnastics:

Membership in USA Gymnastics is a privilege granted by USA Gymnastics. That privilege can be withdrawn by USA Gymnastics at any time where a member's conduct is determined to be inconsistent with the best interest of the sport of gymnastics and of the athletes we are servicing.

Here is a link to the bylaws:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/About USA Gymnastics/Governance/usag-bylaws.pdf

From the article: “An individual is placed on the list based on a complaint and following an investigation and hearing process. Each accused member has the right and opportunity to participate in the investigation and hearing process." From this, I would infer that they had enough information to verify the accusation.

From the article: “An individual is placed on the list based on a complaint and following an investigation and hearing process. Each accused member has the right and opportunity to participate in the investigation and hearing process." From this, I would infer that they had enough information to verify the accusation.

And there wasn't enough to put Nassar there from the get go?! It kind of surprises me that Geddert isn't on the list with all that happened at his gym, and his subsequent "hiring" of Klages , even for a brief period...

What happens when a gym owner (not just a coach) gets banned mid-season? Do all of those kids lose the meet fees that they paid for competitions they've surely already been registered for? The people on the PI list can't have anything to do with member clubs, so what happens to IGI and its athlete members, if the owner is PI? Can the coaches still take the kids? So many questions.

I hesitate to post, because I hate to start rumors (and I suspect there are probably IGI families on this board)..... However, I heard second hand (a friend of a friend's daughter goes to IGI), that an email was received last week indicating that T.G. was leaving or retiring or something along those lines, and that business partners would be taking over management of the gym. There were apparently no details provided, and it sounds like some wondered if there were health issues given the sudden departure (the reason, of course, is obvious now). The impression I got was that every effort was being made to keep IGI up and running -- business as usual. That might explain why details are being kept confidential, and things seemed to move so swiftly. Again, this is not first hand information -- so please take with a grain of salt (and feel free to correct me if someone knows more).

Reactions: sce
What happens when a gym owner (not just a coach) gets banned mid-season? Do all of those kids lose the meet fees that they paid for competitions they've surely already been registered for? The people on the PI list can't have anything to do with member clubs, so what happens to IGI and its athlete members, if the owner is PI? Can the coaches still take the kids? So many questions.

This was posted on the USAG site yesterday:

• Member clubs. Changes to Section 3.8(b), Article 9 (paragraph 2) and Section 10.13(b) clarify that member clubs are subject to discipline for violations of rules, regulations, policies or procedures, and that a suspension, termination or determination of permanent ineligibility of an individual member who has any ownership interest in a member club (or who is the managing director of a public/nonprofit facility) will result in a suspension of member club status.
How that member club would get out of suspension, I don't know...

So there you go.... I could be totally wrong. It may be that IGI goes up in smoke (suspended). I guess we will know soon enough...

ETA: Curious to see what happens to the Chicago Style meet this year??

My understanding is that he relinquished ownership and retired prior to the USAG determination; so IGI's status is not affected. I can only assume he took great care to ensure that nothing would happen to the athletes or the program. I have also heard he is focusing on clearing his name and that the allegations stem from alleged events over 20 years ago. And notably there's no criminal investigation or civil suit. I wish there was more information released. As someone else on here noted, I don't know how you defend yourself against 20 yr old claims. And I wonder if the USAG rules were the same then as now? Could it be that even if true, the alleged conduct would be in violation of today's rules but not the rules in place at the time? They have said he violated rules pertaining to a relationship with an athlete - notably they did not say minor; which would explain the lack of a criminal investigation.

Could the difference be a confession sped things up?
He did not admit to anything. The article initially posted indicates he denies the claim. I would assume his goal was to protect the gym and the current families.

I hesitate to post, because I hate to start rumors (and I suspect there are probably IGI families on this board)..... However, I heard second hand (a friend of a friend's daughter goes to IGI), that an email was received last week indicating that T.G. was leaving or retiring or something along those lines, and that business partners would be taking over management of the gym. There were apparently no details provided, and it sounds like some wondered if there were health issues given the sudden departure (the reason, of course, is obvious now). The impression I got was that every effort was being made to keep IGI up and running -- business as usual. That might explain why details are being kept confidential, and things seemed to move so swiftly. Again, this is not first hand information -- so please take with a grain of salt (and feel free to correct me if someone knows more).
Other articles have said the email "addressed his limited involvement with the club over the last several months". Which likely means the investigation has been going on for that long.

I certainly can understand the need for secrecy. It avoids trial by his peers or the gymnastics community as a whole.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back