WAG Another giant question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SurpriseGymMom

Coach
Proud Parent
the Giants thread got me thinking (and I didn't want to hijack): which form of giants is "harder"? Doing it by yourself on the regular bar/single bar (wooden bar) or doing them on the strap bar? DD can now do them by herself on the regular single bar, and on the high bar of the uneven bars, but she hasn't tried on the strap bar and says that's way more difficult..? It seems the usual progression with most of the other girls have been strap bar first, THEN attempt on the single high bar, then go to uneven bar.
Or is it all a wash and whatever gets the kid going works, and the "difficulty" is all the same?
ETA: our strap bar is also a wooden bar, we have plenty of the smaller diameter metal bars because we have a boys team but we exchange the pit bar and the girls never work on the metal bar.

Strap bar and regular giants are 2 different levels . Strap bar being extremely easy and a good tool to work shape and tap technique. Taking the giants to the set and having to shift the wrists is much harder.

How hard is it to move from a pit bar to the bar set?

I think it depends on the kid! My DD hated the strap bar and would never do giants on them. She hated the feeling of being tied to the bar! She learned on pit bar then moved to high bar.

How hard is it to move from a pit bar to the bar set?
Depends on the height of the kid and what kind of fears they have. The bounce of the single rail versus a bar set is probably different as well, but not different enough that the transition would be difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back