MAG Another grips question: Reisport or English Bulldog?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Each brand had a sizing guide. I measured DS's hands and got recommendations from the coach as to brands and size. Our program is too new and too small for the gym to have it set up for us to go through them, which would be fine with me!

I got ours from chalkupshop.com, which was the only place I could find the rings grips in 00. They had great customer service and the most reasonable shipping costs of anywhere I looked.

Hmmn, I think Reisport is too big for my DS. He wears a small in Just Right. And the width of the Reisport seems a lot wider.

How are the Reisport working out? My son informed me he needs new ring grips, because he flew off the rings a couple of times in the last week. He says the dowels on the ring grips are larger in diameter than on the HB grips. His coach told me they are the same, originally, as far as the Just Right brand goes, but looking at them they seem different to me.

(I wrote this 2 days ago when CB wasn't working)

Update: I ordered Reisport ring grips for my ODS, and Just Right Ring Grips for my YDS. His hands are still too small for the Reisport, so I figured I'd better go with what we know already fits him. I did use the site you recommended. So Thanks!

Reactions: sce
How are the Reisport working out? My son informed me he needs new ring grips, because he flew off the rings a couple of times in the last week. He says the dowels on the ring grips are larger in diameter than on the HB grips. His coach told me they are the same, originally, as far as the Just Right brand goes, but looking at them they seem different to me.

(I wrote this 2 days ago when CB wasn't working)

Update: I ordered Reisport ring grips for my ODS, and Just Right Ring Grips for my YDS. His hands are still too small for the Reisport, so I figured I'd better go with what we know already fits him. I did use the site you recommended. So Thanks!

So far so good with our Reisports! Glad I could help on the site. :)

We jsut had to buy D new rings grips as well. As much as we have liked the Reisports, his last pairs of hb and rings grips, bought about the same time, lasted about 8 months. We switched to a different brand for hb but the gym had the Reisport ring grips on hand so we stuck with them. I guess I will see how it goes..

They have a new style (I think it's new) of Reisport for elite gymnasts. Did you see those? They are supposed to last way longer.

I will check them out, hopefully not soon. He has 2 pair of HB grips purchased in March..one reisport double buckle (the elite ones), and the Hambuchen Reichelsports velcro/buckle. Rings were purchased 2 weeks ago and are regular Reisport. I hope to make it a while! And not have all of his grips break during season again like this year :(

The elite version are the elite protec ones? The leather laminate ones? I bought my ds new high bar and ring grips recently and those are what I chose. They've been great so far.

Yes, I think the Elite are the Elite Protec ones. From what I read on one site.

Aaaand . . . last night I got the word that DS now needs rings grips too! We will get more specific marching orders after nationals, but one of my friends with a JE guy finishing up his second year of L9 swears by the Reisport Hyper Protecs.

Is he getting high bar as well? If I remember he is in uneven grips right now?

Check out the hambuchen's too. D LOVES them, and we noticed most college guys wearing them now. the leather is thicker but soft, it has the buckle and velcro, and there is a suede covering the part where the leather on the wrist part touches the hands.

Not sure hwo long they last though. Can you ask your friend how long her son's have lasted? (and about how big is he?) I was concerned about the feel of the leather laminate...that it would feel so different from the leather and D can be kind of picky. But he loves the Hambuchens so far.

My friend's son says they last a lot longer and don't stretch, which is why he likes them. He says they will take a little getting used to, as the buckle part digs in a little. His coach says the main thing is to get buckle grips, as he hates velcro for the boys.

And yes, his coach said that high bar grips are in the near future as well. Sigh. I guess it's not too bad to Bring The Pain now, because the rumor mill has it that the girls are getting all new leos and warmups for next year. Oh, my wallet!

Reactions: sce
Oh -- he's not a really big guy, but he's pretty solidly built at 14. His routine includes piked Yamawakis, so he's definitely putting some stress on those things when he swings.

D is on buckle grips or dual grips, so we are good there. I guess we will see how these hold up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back