WAG Another L8/9 beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
hey y’all!
So with a kid who does BHS BHS series, would a BHS BLO be acceptable for a dismount? Or is that considered a third BHS? what would be a good option for someone who refuses the RO Exits?
Is there a requirement to have a jump that changes direction? Or is that L9?
For level 9 is the biggest difference a BLO or BT?
And is someone could define what the ACRO elements are? I get confused between a skill, acro, leap, and fluff.......
As I move along with the kids I feel I know less and less.....
Thanks

Or she could do bhs by for her series. She has so much time! But yeah, sorry....we have a girl with this exact same scenario at our gym. She can’t do the round off. She did a bhs dismount in level 7. Is now doing a double down dismount until she gets her bhs bloso on that four inch demon...once that happens she will probably revert back to the bhs, because she really doesn’t like the doubledown.

hey y’all!
So with a kid who does BHS BHS series, would a BHS BLO be acceptable for a dismount? Or is that considered a third BHS? what would be a good option for someone who refuses the RO Exits?
Is there a requirement to have a jump that changes direction? Or is that L9?
For level 9 is the biggest difference a BLO or BT?
And is someone could define what the ACRO elements are? I get confused between a skill, acro, leap, and fluff.......
As I move along with the kids I feel I know less and less.....
Thanks

I have wanted to post this question myself! My kid is scared of hurdling on beam. She’s going to ask the coach this week if she can do the BHS BLO dismount but she’s probably going to have that for her series as well.

My only concern is the forward/sideward element will be missing unless she perfects her side aerial and puts it in her routine.

You can put in a cartwheel, a beat jump, or a lever kick thingee (don’t know name but it’s a move the hopes girls do for compulsory beam routine) for a forward move. This is according to my child, lol, but I forgot what she called the lever thingee, lol.

I believe a forward roll also works? I know the more experienced will correct me on here. :) Thank God optionals usually means options!

Reactions: sce
BHS to two feet is a different skill than BHS step-out. So she's fine doing BHS(step-out)-BHS(step-out) for her series, and BHS(2-feet)-layout dismount.

So she's good, but other options do include front dismount and gainers, off the side or end of the beam.

Yes, she needs a forwards/sideways skill. Cartwheel, handstand (held 2 seconds), handstand forward roll, front walkover, side aerial, front tuck etc. all work. Beat jump is dance, not acro. A lever won't count.

(There's this whole thing about up-to-level, but I don't know what's in the rest of the routine so I can't judge)

I guess acro could be simply defined as anything that goes upside down. Handstands, cartwheels, walkovers, handsprings, saltos, aerials, and so on

OK. I need to get more specific-
her mount is no big deal. leg cut over, roll to belly and feet roll over her head to touch beam.
then her series, BHS-BHS
Beat jump- split jump
1.5 turn (if coach allows it as it may be taking unnecessary risk)
then what is this???- 1/2 cartwheel to handstand, then straddle slowly and lower to shoulder stand, hold, then supported turn to straddle the beam, sit and get back up.
dismount, BHS-BLO

what does this still need?

Ok lets see here.

Mount - I don’t think there are any letter skills here
BHS BHS - BB
1.5 turn - B - A if she just does a full
Beat jump split jump - AB

The cartwheel thing - A half cartwheel to handstand is an A and a chest stand is an A. I didn’t see this specific combo in the code. A half cartwheel lower to planche is a C though so maybe there is something there. Not sure, you would likely need to ask her coach about this. But these are holds which sounds like what you are talking about but if it is more of a fluid motion, maybe it would be considered an acro and qualify for her sideways move. Coun’t find anything specific in the skill list, but there are some skills that end touching the beam and get acro credit. But it may just be getting some needed A skills for value parts as well. Again, you would need to ask her coach what the thinking here is.

BHS - BLO Dismount - Both step out and two feet are Bs but she would only get skill credit if she did the two feet. Layout dismount is an A.

5 Bs 4As? Maybe depending

This routine meets the basic SRs and Value Parts for level 8 but not for level 9.

For level 8 she needs a series with one flight, a 180 jump/leap, a full turn and an A dismount
For level 9 she needs a series with two flights, a 180 jump/leap, a full turn and a B dismount. She doesn’t have a B dismount so this won’t work. Also there is no bonus in this routine. She also has no C skills. She would need one for level 9. This routine would need significant upgrades to be a level 9 routine.

Compositionally, for level 8

Acro composition is ok, if that cartwheel thing counts as acro. If not then just a .05 deduction. Dance composition she is fine. This may be why they are doing the 1.5 turn. She needs 2 Bs and 1 A. A full turn is just an A so if she does that then .1 deduction. Her dismount is fine with a B connected to A dismount.

So she looks potentially ok for level 8.

As far as dismount options go, has she tried a front layout. This is generally easy to get and it is a B skill so can even be competed in level 9. Then she could work on a twisting gainer dismount or even an aerial to full going forward. Tons of college gymnasts do these dismounts so these are totally legit upgrade progressions without a roundoff or backhandspring. My dd (lv10) does a roundoff double full and is working on upgrading it to a 2.5 but she is also working on using her aerial into a full dismount and drills gainers just because colleges like to have options. Only meaning by that there are lots of options for non roundoff dismounts. When looking at the code there are tons of other options as well, some would be really cool. Like a front aerial off the end of the beam with a 1.5 twist. Yikes! But cool, right?

Good luck!

My daughter never could do a RO on the beam, so don't despair, and she made it to Easterns. She did a Gainer off the side. She did cat leap+Gainer full off the side. Many college gymnasts do the same. Acro is any thing that is not a leap or a jump or a turn. The 3rd regular BHS would not count for VP, and may get a deduction for repeating an element more than 2x, which would affect the "up to" deductions as well. If she changes it up to a 2-foot, that would be ok. Has she ever thought of doing BHS-back tuck for her series? Or BHS-BLO? Front toss/front tuck to BHS? FHS to BHS? There are so many acro combinations to choose from!

Thank you so much FELLOW!!! this is what i needed....to see what she currently HAS NOW, and what she can put in her head for the next 6 months.
The dismount- so yes, she can change it to two feet and go into the layout. Coach intends to turn the layout into a 1/2 or full. (whats the diff between 1/2 or full)
She is trying geingers for fun and has not considered using it....but that might change.
Series RIGHT NOW is BHS BHS but she is working the layout on floor so who knows....but my guess is it will evolve into BHS-BLO for 9.
The handstand hold lower is something she has worked on, coaches aren't thrilled since its risky. BUT if she can get it 99% consistent they might let her keep it. Her coach said it might b a C and they are trying to see what it is.
So what does she need for L8? 5Bs and 4As?

one other question, I see now 'BEAM DANCE' as a whole section in the code. Is this new? what IS beam dance? (I keep thinking of Mia in stick it!) How is Beam dance judged?

And GAgymmom, thanks for giving me hope! My DD like to keep those hips SQUARE or else......He coach said the two foot thing on the BHS is pretty tricky. most people land with their feet offset anyway so coach said to do the BHS Stepout and work on bringing the feet together.......

6 months....

The stepout versus two feet thing is really individual. My DD finds BHS to two feet much easier to do with good form and stick. I'm seeing a lot of front twisting and gainer dismounts on our girls' L9 and L10 routines.

Dance skills are jumps/leaps/turns, the “fluff” dance doesn’t have any value, however, it comes in to play with artistry. At the optional levels your acro (tumbling) and dance (leaps/jumps) have to be balanced - basically you shouldn’t be getting all of your B’s from tumbling and then your As from dance, there has to be somewhat of an even mix. Also the routine has to have some sort of quality of movement (choreography) - they cant just do skills in a row and get off the beam.

Thank you so much FELLOW!!! this is what i needed....to see what she currently HAS NOW, and what she can put in her head for the next 6 months.
The dismount- so yes, she can change it to two feet and go into the layout. Coach intends to turn the layout into a 1/2 or full. (whats the diff between 1/2 or full)
She is trying geingers for fun and has not considered using it....but that might change.
Series RIGHT NOW is BHS BHS but she is working the layout on floor so who knows....but my guess is it will evolve into BHS-BLO for 9.
The handstand hold lower is something she has worked on, coaches aren't thrilled since its risky. BUT if she can get it 99% consistent they might let her keep it. Her coach said it might b a C and they are trying to see what it is.
So what does she need for L8? 5Bs and 4As?

one other question, I see now 'BEAM DANCE' as a whole section in the code. Is this new? what IS beam dance? (I keep thinking of Mia in stick it!) How is Beam dance judged?

And GAgymmom, thanks for giving me hope! My DD like to keep those hips SQUARE or else......He coach said the two foot thing on the BHS is pretty tricky. most people land with their feet offset anyway so coach said to do the BHS Stepout and work on bringing the feet together.......

6 months....

Back 1/2 or full dismount are both Bs so good for 9

She needs 4 As and 4 Bs for 8 and 3As 4Bs and 1C for level 9

So beam dance is leaps, jumps, holds and waves. As CoachAlex mentioned there needs to be balance between dance and acro. But what I think you are mentioning is the beam dance up to level specifications which are new to this code. This code breaks things down very specifically.

For level 8 dance they need to have at least 2B and 1A dance elements. They have specific deductions for other options like .05 for 2Bs but no additional A or higher up to .2 for only having A dance elements.

For level 9 dance they need to have a minimum of 2 Cs or 1C and 1D/E to meet the requirement. A Cand and a B would be .05 all the way up to .2 for only B elements.

A BHS-BLO is great for 9 and then she would also need an additional salto in her routine (front or back tuck, side or front aerial etc) or a D/E element with hands down (like an onodi)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back