WAG Another Leo Fit Question...tight vs. loose?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amusibus

Proud Parent
Just curious, our head coach prefers the girls wear their leos so tight they look painted on. She loathes "baggy butt syndrome", particularly for comp leos. This does not bother my daughter, but there are other kids for whom it's a problem. One girl in particular I'm thinking of: she is the same height as my daughter who wears a child medium, and this girl wears an adult small. She does have baggy butt except for the comp leo, at fitting time this girl was in tears because it was so uncomfortable, but the coach wouldn't budge. Just curious to know if others' gyms are like this.

Our gym prefers comp leos to be very fitted, with as few "wrinkles" as possible but the gymnast should still be able to move. ;) We do have a few girls who prefer way looser leos, and for practice we don't say anything to them (unless asked, then I give my honest opinion). For a couple of them, being fitted properly into a comp leo was not the most fun ever but we really explained to them how the fit should be and made sure nothing was unbearably tight. We also always size up if there's any doubt. So I guess short answer is very fitted and sleek but never TOO tight.

And some kids that were uncomfortable with the tighter fit had simply never been fitted correctly before. Some have issues with seams/different fabrics etc.
it's unreasonable to expect one cut of leotard to be a perfect fit for different body types and when fitting, sometimes one must take the whole fit into account and not just focus on one aspect.
But generally, I would say that most girls who are uncomfortable in comp leos have just been used to wearing leos that are really quite too big for them to begin with. :)

My dd's gym prefers them to be pretty darn tight. When she tried on the child small for her fitting, she said it was too tight and it did look tight to me. But when she came out to show the coach, she (and some other coaches) all agreed that it was too big. So she got the child x-small. When it came, it looked like a dolls leotard! I was thinking there was no way that it would fit. But it did fit and she got used to it. She still prefers them to be much looser though when not in competition.

I don't think it should be leaving red lines after only an hour but I do think it should be very fitted. Just not digging in. From a coach's point of view(literally)...I HATE baggy leos. SO awkward. They do not provide adequate coverage.

I prefer leos that are on the tighter side-but not to tight. I am still growing, as are many girls on my team; so my coach usually gets the leo that still has room for us to grow-but no baggy butts.

Umm based on those pictures you posted recently of your daughter, NO WAY that kid is an adult small. Child medium sound right. I'm with the coach on this one.

I don't think it should be leaving red lines after only an hour but I do think it should be very fitted. Just not digging in. From a coach's point of view(literally)...I HATE baggy leos. SO awkward. They do not provide adequate coverage.
Due to the "wise" advice of the GK rep we had one year, YG's competition leotard was so tight by the end of the season that I had to literally PEEL it off of her after 30 minutes (extremely small meet - 5 girls) and it left horrible red marks. For her next meet 2 months later, she borrowed a leotard 2 sizes larger and it FIT - no saggy bottom, no wrinkles.

Tight is better, but it shouldn't be too tight. I have had to argue sizes with our gym owner before. If the child has a long or short torso you can specially order those so that the length is better while you still be a slender fit through the shoulders and butt.

DD's HC wants the leo fitted-she's another one that cannot stand "baggy" leos. DD has gotten used to this and doesn't say anything. I would not want DD to have a bigger leo- would be concerned about possible exposure issues (if not snug on the bottom).

Tight is better, but it shouldn't be too tight. I have had to argue sizes with our gym owner before. If the child has a long or short torso you can specially order those so that the length is better while you still be a slender fit through the shoulders and butt.
lol, I had tried to argue sizes with the GK rep... the sizing leos were nylon and our comp leos were going to be mystique - totally different fits! Plus... how many girls had tried on the sizers before and (possibly) stretched them out?

That was why, when we switched to Alpha Factor and HC did the measurements (so there would be consistency in the measuring process), I looked at both of my gymmies sheets and saw where they were in the size chart and gave them both choices (their measurements spanned 4 sizes each) ... YG chose the bigger size (and it fit for the season... and she MAY have been able to get away with it for half of this season, until her December growth spurt) ... OG chose the middle size (because she thought it would have a saggy bottom if she went up to where I wanted her... then she had a growth spurt BEFORE they arrived, so it was tight all season... and another growth spurt last spring meant she had to SQUEEZE into it in July... then we ordered 2 sizes bigger in August).

lol, I had tried to argue sizes with the GK rep... the sizing leos were nylon and our comp leos were going to be mystique - totally different fits! Plus... how many girls had tried on the sizers before and (possibly) stretched them out?

That was why, when we switched to Alpha Factor and HC did the measurements (so there would be consistency in the measuring process), I looked at both of my gymmies sheets and saw where they were in the size chart and gave them both choices (their measurements spanned 4 sizes each) ... YG chose the bigger size (and it fit for the season... and she MAY have been able to get away with it for half of this season, until her December growth spurt) ... OG chose the middle size (because she thought it would have a saggy bottom if she went up to where I wanted her... then she had a growth spurt BEFORE they arrived, so it was tight all season... and another growth spurt last spring meant she had to SQUEEZE into it in July... then we ordered 2 sizes bigger in August).
AHHHH I hate that GK sends nylon leos. A few years ago i fit into the child large nylon leo with a little room, so we ordered that size and.... It was tiny! I tried a teammates adult small and it nearly fit! They need to send the leotard material that the team is ordering! Errgg... and then the delayed shipping :mad: our leos this year were supposed to come 3 weeks before our first meet... and ended up coming 2 days before :eek:

I remeber my daughters level 4 season. Her gym wanted the leotards so tight that when one poor girl tried to use the bathroom before she vaulted she was unable to remove said leotard in time! That, in my opinion, is too tight!

Material of the comp leo definitely makes a difference. DD was has been in the same size for the last 4 years. The first comp leo was mostly mystique and by the end of year 2 it dug into her shoulders and she used baby powder to slide into it for comps. I was really concerned that they ordered the same size for her current comp leo but it fits (torso is simple nylon so a lot stretchier). We are almost done with it and it has yet to cut into her like the older comp leo. Next season though, she should definitely move up in size as she is growing like a weed.

AHHHH I hate that GK sends nylon leos. A few years ago i fit into the child large nylon leo with a little room, so we ordered that size and.... It was tiny! I tried a teammates adult small and it nearly fit! They need to send the leotard material that the team is ordering! Errgg... and then the delayed shipping :mad: our leos this year were supposed to come 3 weeks before our first meet... and ended up coming 2 days before :eek:
I agree that they need to send sizers in the actual material... we were using a stock design too, just changing colors, so they could have sent the actual design. With YG, she tried the CM and it fit... not loose at all. I asked that she try on the CL. It was a little looser, but what sealed it for HC was that the rep pulled the leo UP and showed all the extra space at the top of the leo. She doesn't pull leos up really high because she can't stand things close to her neck AND she doesn't like wedgies.

HC ordered them way early... and told them our first meet was a MONTH before it actually was. They said we would have them before that... they arrived the night before our REAL first meet (and we don't have practice that day, so HC brought them all to the meet).

My old gym would buy comp Leo's and in gym show Leo's one size smaller than growing room fit. I never heard any of the team girls complain about the sizing so I have no idea if it was maybe to tight for some.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back