WAG Another Level 6 Bar Dismount Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Chickadee

Proud Parent
Last night DD and I were talking on the way home from the gym and she mentioned an old teammate wasn't doing a fly away dismount (level 6) on bars but something else that "met" the dismount requirements. Is this possible? I quickly looked it up on-line and the requirements are "salto" dismount. This is pure curiosity....but are there other dismounts for level 6 bars that meet the salto requirements besides a fly away?

Yes! One of DD's teammates did something else when they were a Level 6. I have no idea what it was called but she kinda criss-crossed her arms and flipped around backwards. It actually got kind of entertaining at meets because parents from other gyms always thought she was falling (because it was so unexpected). For some reason she could do this dismount more safely.

Thanks All. I'll have to show DD the video to see if that's what she's doing. Would this be considered easier than the back flyaway? I guess, "easy" is relative to the athlete. My DD made is sound like the different dismount was due to either difficulty with the other flyaway or fear. I know DD took awhile to get her flyaway last year in level 5 because she was afraid of hitting her toes...still is. Looking at the video the front flyaway looks just as difficult, if not more so, with the twisting back to the front before the dismount.

They’re both A salto dismounts, so technically equal. It’s all a preference thing. My DD struggled with the regular flyaway for three years before a coach allowed her to walk away and try something new.

I think the front flyaway (referenced in both comments above) is the only other allowable dismount at L6. It is my DDs dismount- I’ve included a video clip..

I am amazed by this dismount and was always wondering how to come into this skill... Very sadly it is not an valid dismount in the non-JO CoP (see image) . We have to use a front grip, this hand turning is not valid. Any suggestions to come into this skill without a front giant or half a front giant?

Cheers
Zivaah

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190115_083017_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20190115_083017_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 105
I've been coaching for 10+ years and have never seen that dismount! Are there any FIG judges here? The description above doesn't exactly state that it needs to be done from undergrip... So I wonder if it would still count as a skill under FIG rules. I'm afraid it doesn't but you never know...

If I saw right she used mixed grip?
I thought she got one hand over the other, causing the fingers of both hands to be in the same direction, therefore it is front grip?

Even if it was mixed grip, I think it would be possible to get this to front grip. The US level 4 dismount (with the half turn), regrip both hands. Then in the front (close to the low bar) turn both hands?

Both of her hands face the same direction. Sorry I’m no help at all past that! I do know that other people do get into this from front giants.

I've seen it done out of front giants and we do it from regular grip tap swings too before starting other jaeger drills, yes, but the way she got into the dismount out of cast is something I've never seen before!

We have some girls with flyaway blocks that have never healed and they practice and compete toe hect front salto dismount.

I've seen it done out of front giants and we do it from regular grip tap swings too before starting other jaeger drills, yes, but the way she got into the dismount out of cast is something I've never seen before!

We have some girls with flyaway blocks that have never healed and they practice and compete toe hect front salto dismount.
The toe hecht front is what she wanted to learn, but it’s not allowed until L8 here, so being a L6 and having to score out of L7, it wasn’t practical for her to learn. She loves that dismount though! One of the ncaa competitors competed it at the meet we went to this weekend.

Btw, as an aside.. in diamond where she competes, that isn’t considered as a cast (according to the judges at the last meet). It’s all part of the dismount.

To clarify, because I was wrong. Ha! She is in mixed grip. Her left hand is in eagle grip and her right in reverse grip, so yes, mixed.

The toe hecht front is what she wanted to learn, but it’s not allowed until L8 here, so being a L6 and having to score out of L7, it wasn’t practical for her to learn. She loves that dismount though! One of the ncaa competitors competed it at the meet we went to this weekend.

Mine has had a flyaway block for three years that she is just not getting over. She did L6 last year with an underswing dismount and is doing L8 this year. Her coach worked the toe front dismount with her before Christmas and she's landing it off the high bar already! Now she can forgo the flyaway and she has a dismount that will work for L9 too! Suck it flyaway!

Mine has had a flyaway block for three years that she is just not getting over. She did L6 last year with an underswing dismount and is doing L8 this year. Her coach worked the toe front dismount with her before Christmas and she's landing it off the high bar already! Now she can forgo the flyaway and she has a dismount that will work for L9 too! Suck it flyaway!
What did she use to score out of L7? Mine did the underswing last year too- even got silver on bars at states. They just didn’t have the time to work the two front dismounts simultaneously. Low hours gym, no pit, no spotters, boarding school... it was lucky she could get one of them. Ha!

What did she use to score out of L7? Mine did the underswing last year too- even got silver on bars at states. They just didn’t have the time to work the two front dismounts simultaneously. Low hours gym, no pit, no spotters, boarding school... it was lucky she could get one of them. Ha!

We don’t have score out requirements in Canada so she didn’t need to. She competed a flyaway in her first L8 meet but it’s terrible. You can hear her pinging off the bars from across the gym, she always lets go too early.
We don’t have a bar pit either but they worked the underswing off the low bar and then the high bar onto a mat stack and then roll off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back