MAG Another retiring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

GymMom4

Proud Parent
I just read a post on Instagram about Chris Brooks retiring.

Not surprised but sad to see so many retiring lately.

Who are the best AA men these days?

There are a lot of contenders right now. Beyond the names that are being thrown around a lot (those above plus Allan Bower), I am very curious to see what kind of meet Marvin Kimble and Sean Melton have. There are also some very strong apparatus guys -- Naddour on horse, Penev on vault and floor, etc. I am really hoping that Adrian de los Angelos has a great meet. My other personal favorite dark horse is Kiwan Watts, who doesn't quite have the difficulty to contend, but does some really nice gymnastics.

I will boldly predict that if Mikulak hits hi bar both days, he goes to worlds.

I had a brief moment of panic that YOUR girl was retiring! Geez....perhaps I should slow down and read where the thread is based....:p

I had a brief moment of panic that YOUR girl was retiring! Geez....perhaps I should slow down and read where the thread is based....:p

No- she says she's nowhere near ready to be done. Sorry for inciting panic. :)

So many have retired recently and I knew Brooks wasn't competing this weekend but it still surprised me to hear the news. There is a lot of talent on the men's side but I don't follow it as closely as I do the women's gymnastics.

Brooks is one of our favorites, but we are not surprised. He is 30/going on 31 and coming off a couple of ankle surgeries. I know his initial plan was to try to compete high bar at worlds, but that was derailed by the surgeries. We are reallly going to miss watching him and his positive attitude, and his total team spirit. Excited to see what he does next.

This weekend will be interesting. Yul/Akash are fun to watch, and there are tons of others in the mix. Really, can't wait to see. Watch for Brandon Ngai on pommel horse! He is amazing!

I just read he is a new assistant coach for the Nebraska women's gymnastics team!

Congrats to him, but really sad that he won't be transitioning to coach in MAG world, though. Seems like MAG is losing good coaches/potential coaches by the day. If real change doesn't happen soon in the sport in terms of developing athletes through early adulthood (and not relying mostly on the disappearing NCAA teams, or a small handful of college-age athletes at the OTC), I fear USA is going to be slipping away from the international stage in the coming decades.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back